H Sha 25 My thoughts

94 Troll Priest
So last night my guild killed Heroic Sha on 25. The fight is odd in that it can be equal parts boring and fun. The fight also brought to many attention something that i hope blizzard doesnt continue with.

First phase is incredibly boring if you dont get sent to a platform. Dodge bolts = win. Now if you get send to a platform i found dodging a fun as it was a break from the main platform. However I find bad that you need the help of an addon to really get through those side platforms cleanly. I mean you can memorize something like the charts provided here (http://www.icy-veins.com/sha-of-fear-detailed-strategy-wow) but realistically not many people can. Without Dreadspray addons it becomes much more of a hassle than it needs to be.

Second phase is fun. Loved it except for one thing and i am pretty sure i am not the only one to think this. The artwork is terrible. Just a blue mass of nothing. My 2 year old niece could have drawn the same area. It is almost as if Sha was the last encounter they designed and just wanted to get it over with.

One of the things that I am starting to dislike is the length of these final boss encounters. 20 mins for Sha and close to 15 with Empress. It seems like instead of the boss themselves being challenging that the times are extended to allow for more people to screw up. More phases repeated to challenge the raider to hold their attention that long.

My op - feel free to disagree :)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
Ya, I get what they were trying to do with Sha of Fear P2 environment but they could've done something else IMO.
Edited by Chïrpa on 2/13/2013 7:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
One of the things that I am starting to dislike is the length of these final boss encounters. 20 mins for Sha and close to 15 with Empress. It seems like instead of the boss themselves being challenging that the times are extended to allow for more people to screw up. More phases repeated to challenge the raider to hold their attention that long.

I want to play devil's advocate on this.

I think that longer encounters can be more difficult than shorter encounters because longer encounters require flawless play for a longer period of time. You can feel the ripple effect on Sha when you have to waste a battle rez in Phase 1 and then suddenly lose 3 people to Waterspout or Huddle in Phase 2. For the first few kills of Heroic Sha, you need all DPS alive in Phase 2, and having to waste a battle rez in Phase 1 is detrimental to the entire encounter. In our ADD generation, I think requiring a high amount of focus on a boss can be very difficult.
Edited by Freese on 2/13/2013 8:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
I think just making the Dread Expanse a little darker, similar the Sha of Fear's colors would have made a big difference.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Phase 1 is a bit boring but i think that phase 2 is pretty fun. It is kind of cool that you are in nothingness, which is what i assume it is trying to portray. Though we haven't killed it yet got to 30% so another day and we'll have it.,
Edited by Sadiemay on 2/14/2013 12:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
I'm not going to attack your main point regarding the length of fights. I somewhat agree. I appreciate that the length is, in fact, the difficulty at hand but monotony does not make for anything fun.

However, you mention the need for Dread Spray addons. While this is somewhat accurate in that your healers or tanks might want to use them, they are not at all required. There are safe spots on every platform that you can stand and then a second place where you run to right after he starts casting dread spray. We use raid markers to indicate these locations and the need for an addon is entirely removed.

(Not trying to offend you, I hope it didn't come across as such.)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
02/13/2013 07:47 PMPosted by Chïrpa
Ya, I get what they were trying to do with Sha of Fear P2 environment but they could've done something else IMO.

All they were trying to do was recreate the well received Rag fight (which is funny because normal rag is a lot like Lich King).

I attempted this boss as DPS about 80 times on my old main before going Alliance. I only saw to 25%, but I find the first phase completely boring, regardless of what happened to me with going to other platforms. Each platform is literally moving one pie over from the starting point and results in only getting hit once (shouldn't get hit at all on left platform). Rest of the fight is burning Sha as best as possible.

P2 wasn't even that terribly fun as someone that just got to DPS, but it was better than P1. Just one big training dummy except for the adds. It would have been a bit more involved if I was on add duty a bit more, but that's about the extent I could do.

The problem with the fight is it's 15+ minutes, and you have to get to P2, and wipe before you can even down it (I'm sure some guilds are 1-shotting it now, but for people who don't really have it on farm yet have to do this).

It really isn't that amazing of a fight in all honesty, depending on your role.

02/14/2013 06:49 AMPosted by Xpariah
We use raid markers to indicate these locations and the need for an addon is entirely removed.

I wouldn't say it's required, but I would always use it just because you'll know for sure if you're in one pie or the other. That's all I used shaoffearassist for. And it was literally *get to this pie when you first land on the platform* *spray starts* *move once to left or right* *spray ends* *move to original pie*
Edited by Varlth on 2/14/2013 8:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
The problem with the fight is it's 15+ minutes

I don't have a problem with it being 15+ minutes (even though it hurts my eyes to stare so intently for long periods of time over the course of a few hours) - I have a problem with one phase being 10+ minutes (i.e. the entirety of Will, P2 of Sha). Too repetitive.
Edited by Dysheki on 2/14/2013 9:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Warlock
02/14/2013 09:07 AMPosted by Dysheki
I have a problem with one phase being 10+ minutes (i.e. the entirety of Will, P2 of Sha). Too repetitive.

I agree 100% with you about Will and consider it the worst fight of the entire tier. I tliterally is nothing but rinse and repeat over and over.

I enjoy P2 Sha a great deal and find P1 the monotonous and boring part.

All that being said I really do think Heroic end bosses need to be long with several different phases like Heroic Ragnaros or Heroic Lich King. Although only one difficulty existed at the time I still think Illidan, Vasjh, and Kael are three of the best fights of all time. I especially love the Illidan fight for the lore moments (his exchange with Akama and the start and the exchange with Maive) and the fact that they were simply animated in the game world without the lame cut scene crap we've seen in later expansions.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
02/14/2013 03:51 AMPosted by Computah
I think just making the Dread Expanse a little darker, similar the Sha of Fear's colors would have made a big difference.

with all the dark souls references in mop, i'm pretty sure they were going for a 4 kings/abyss thing but decided to make it blue instead :(
Reply Quote
the fight is really boring unless you're a healer/ball thrower (which is a borderline stressful job if add allignment is a little messed up)

the only good fight this tier was spirit kings before you could get gear from hof/terrace
Edited by Jetjaguar on 2/14/2013 12:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It's not dead yet, but I can tell you it's by far the fight that requires the most focus I have done in last 3 expansions.

I wouldn't say it's that boring for a healer, it's by far the fight that requires the highest focus this tier, with a pinch of RNG.

You can't not use the addon as a healer, I have no time to watch the mob and see where he's aiming.. I need to constantly watch the health of raiders and the tank. I already have to be very fast on dispells and make sure I don't forget about the stupid death blossom CD and make sure my Zen Meditation is not on CD.

P2 doesn't give you a lot less room to breathe as a healer since you need to do ball juggling, but P1 is sure not boring and has a ton of opportunity to screw up.

But I can sure see from a dps perspective, or even tank, why it can be boring.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/14/2013 09:27 AMPosted by Yukio
I enjoy P2 Sha a great deal and find P1 the monotonous and boring part.

I'm not really saying P2 is necessarily boring or monotonous; I'm just saying it's really repetitive. P2 on a 10 man you have to be aware of where you are relative to everyone and always ready to toss the light and make a split decision on who is the best to throw it to/not throw it to (which isn't hard in itself until later when there are more adds and you have to choose carefully who gets thrown to because unnecessary throws are deadly). That can be stressful in itself. But even though you have to make the quick and correct decision it doesn't mean it's not repetitive. Nothing is really going to surprise you much besides for who gets huddle, where the light is when huddle comes out, and where the adds are when you are passing it.

I would have been okay lowering the health and starting with more adds (at least so you will have at least 7 adds once). But maybe that's just someone talking who didn't have hero for the fight, lol.

One other gripe I have is for Sha to not have such a dark cloud underneath him. As a melee you can't see waterspouts underneath him and it annoys me. Not saying you can't work around it, just saying it's annoying.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]