Do some guilds have multiple raid groups?

34 Orc Hunter
I just joined a guild (different toon) and they just started raiding. I am a bit low for it now, but I would like to start when I can. However, the guild's raid times are not a good time for me at all. They are way too late at night. I'm wondering if when it's time for me to start raiding, I may be able to start a second group in the guild that raids at an earlier time or should I count on joining a different guild with a raid schedule better for my own schedule?

Also, do guild leaders get piffed when you try to do stuff like start a second raid group in the guild? Is that something I shouldn't even ask the GM about? I am asking here before I even broach the subject as I'm too low to raid yet and too new to the guild. I don't want my GM thinking I am trying to start my own clique or something and I only know of 2 other people who said they couldn't raid because it was too late at night in the guild. I am hoping once I get to Pandaria I'll meet more early birds like me.

I am also new enough to the guild I don't even know if I will stay longer term. But I like to plan things out a few steps ahead. I mean, if the GM is against starting a second group or I can't get enough people interested, I may just have to make plans to move and perhaps I should do that before I get too attached to the people in the guild.
Reply Quote
Many guilds have multiple teams but a new additional team is something the leadership should decide to start. If you are not ready to raid yet and are new to the guild I would not suggest trying to start up another team just for you, you'd do better to get raid ready then look for a guild that's schedule meets your needs.
Reply Quote
34 Orc Hunter
Thanks for that. Like I said, I am constantly thinking ahead, and I think this time I thought TOO far ahead. I just was a bit disappointed when I saw the raid schedule and saw that it was far later than I'd care to play. Tonight I have insomnia so I'm up late. But usually I'd be sound asleep while the raids went on.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
If you gear up and want to start a team, and if the guild is able to support two teams (if there are enough people and depending on how they are typically scheduled) you will have to take full responsibility for that team. This means forming it, paying for it, and provisioning it if you need to. It is not a walk in the park. If you simply want to raid on a day that's good for you go find a team that's already there.

We have something like this in our guild right now. We have 2 raid teams but another member is making a semi-PUG casual raid team at the end of the week. It does not conflict with our scheduled raids as I do my raids by invite. The raiders don't get to pick which raid team they are on; only if they simply can't make a Wed but can do a Thurs, for example (there must be a real reason for this). Whomever is left over at the end of the week can go do the PUG to get their run in. We are also on a tiny server so this is the only PUG currently running server-wide unfortunately. However, I can tell you as a GM, that the moment that this PUG conflicts with my two teams, I will shut it down. This will not happen as the person running it knows what he's doing and runs everything by me first.
Edited by Hespler on 2/15/2013 6:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
Some guilds are comfortable with members essentially PuGging out to another guild when the raid times don't work. When you get to that point, it's worth talking over your options with your guild leadership.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Ask your gm. Personally, I would only let you lead a raid team in my guild if 1) there are already several guildies who want to raid at that time who aren't on a guild team already and 2) you have a proven raid leading track record, or perhaps merely solid recent raiding experience and a good leadership style.

From there, I agree with basically everything that Hespler said.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Certainly don't jump ahead and start creating your own raid team within the guild: that's basically raider poaching. Scheduling raid set up is hard enough on GL/RLs without having to wonder who might be locked to a raid with another group. Generally, the times when it's a-OK to make up your own raid group within the guild is for old content. For example, during Wrath, I or other guildmates would randomly make up a Naxx "fun run" for alts, achievements, and drunken singing. It didn't affect our raid team, as we were by that time farming ToC and Ulduar.

Some options once you're ready for raiding, if the schedule is not working out for you:

• Let the GM know that you'd like to raid, but that your schedule doesn't fit with their schedule - and is it possible that another raid team could be formed.
• Let the GM know you'd like to raid, but because of the schedule, you'll be raiding with another guild - is that OK, or would they prefer you leave the guild and join the guild you're raiding with?

Who knows, maybe things with the guild will change and the raid time will move. My guild used to raid 7-10, and we now raid 8-11.
Reply Quote
34 Orc Hunter
Oh dear! I do NOT want to lead a group at all!! I just thought of kind of rounding people up and someone else would lead it. I have no track record for raiding. In fact, looking at all my alts proves my track record as not being reliable for sticking it out in the long run. I would be a lousy lousy leader. I didn't even think of the fact that asking to start another group would imply that I wanted to lead it. YUCK!

I think pugging will work for me. Though I am still thinking of finding another guild because I am starting to notice that while it's very active at night, it's a ghost town in the day when I usually play. But whatever I decide to do, I will NOT bring up starting a second raid group as I would not want to lead it or have any part in it. The only thing I'd be good at is gathering up people -- then I'd have nothing left I could do.
Reply Quote
14 Human Mage
Is there someone you see on during your hours that you know would make a good raid leader? 90% of the work of a raid team I think is just in organizing it and getting members in. You could do that and perhaps be loot master, and find someone else, like a tank to do the call outs. At the very least, it's a proactive approach. Having co-Raid leaders or raid leader assistant is pretty common. I have one for example--takes some of the annoyance off of me and lets me partially not worry so much about raid leading and focusing some on fun and playing.
Reply Quote
34 Orc Hunter
Maybe after I have a good load of experience under my belt. Right now I want to be a follower.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Honestly from what it sounds like you are in a guild whose raid times you cannot make. You are not yet a high enough level to raid. And you do not want to lead a raid yourself. Based on that I think your best bet would be to join a guild that has a team you are more suited to.

There are plenty of guilds with multiple raid teams. However, those teams are generally made by the leadership and are built by the person who is going to lead it or with a leader in mind for it. I just do not think you are in a place to build a raid group because you are not wanting to do the leadership aspect of it, which is probably the most important part.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
As a leader of my guild raids, if you came to me wanting to raid and there where several others who also wanted to raid with you it wouldn't be a problem as long as u met a few guide lines. 1) Have lead raids in a previous expack. 2) There was a real need for one and all the regular guild loot rules applied. 3) It did not cause any problems with any other guild members.

Also if I was in you position OP i would just gear to the proper ilvl to raid then find a raid group that better met my time needs. Leading a raid is a lot of work and requires detailed explanations to anyone who hasn't done the raid before.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Also if I was in you position OP i would just gear to the proper ilvl to raid then find a raid group that better met my time needs. Leading a raid is a lot of work and requires detailed explanations to anyone who hasn't done the raid before.

That's my suggestion as well. If the guild you are in had a sufficient population of raiders to support multiple raid teams, it would probably already have multiple raid teams. I wouldn't jump ship just yet, though. Stay with the guild. By the time you're ready to raid, it's possible that your schedule will change to match the guild, or the guild's schedule may change, OR, the guild may grow to the point where a second raid team pops up and it might just allign with your schedule. If not, you can start looking for other guilds with schedules more in line with yours, or look for PUG opportunities.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]