Warlock enjoyment

85 Draenei Mage
Ive noticed that in recent months im just really not enjoying my lock anymore. I want to play him because hes my first toon and i have a lot on him but its a drag to play. anyone else feel like this?
Reply Quote
Yes!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
yeah!!!

i mean i still find pvp rather fun but pve i was made to go affliction.. and well that's no fun.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Pvp is fun as hell still, but in pve...yeah

I personally blame this hamfisting of soulshard/fel ember as to why it's becoming boring to play a warlock.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Who doesn't feel this way.... my best guess... Blizzard dev's who doesn't play... and guts warlocks on effective powers so they can make everyone else feel better about beating up locks...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Destruction is really boring in most situations, especially PvE. Demo is just kind of a mess in my opinion. HoG is some weird single target/AoE mix and you're constantly jumping between forms, which after a while just gets kind of tedious. Affliction is still my favourite spec, but the changes to Nightfall and Haunt make the spec incredibly boring.

MoP gave Warlocks a lot of shiny interfaces and resources and tools, but dumbed down the specs in a lot of ways.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
Yeah I mean it could partially be my fault for trying more hardcore then casual this xpac to why I fell out. But part is like others have said, it really has been dumb down and you are kind of forced to play certain specs rather then the ones you like.

I know not many will agree but I actually loved destro's rotation during cata, I mean afflic was still more superior then too but the difference was not as much as it is currently.

I dont know, I thought the green fire quest would be enough for me to stay subscribed but after seeing the plans and how it seems like a half finished shoved out quest now really dissapoints me. I mean I'll probably start playing again sometime, I usually do but their appeal really has dropped. Really hope to see one day that they removed warlock fear from the game so they can actually make changes needed for warlocks without 95% of the community lashing back.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Pvp is fun as hell still, but in pve...yeah

I personally blame this hamfisting of soulshard/fel ember as to why it's becoming boring to play a warlock.

ABSOLUTELY!

While I love that they tried to make each spec feel different, I don't think they did a very good job with the actual mechanics overall. This ties into what you said regarding secondary resources, but also, just about everything else seems poorly done and half-assed.

• Affliction is too gimmicky. Like, painfully so. Core DPS abilities (like Haunt) and utility fighting over the same secondary resource was a garbage move. Soulburn in general is (and was in the past) a bit too clunky, but as a heavy macro user, that's not to big of a deal to me. Spec chews through mana and no longer has a steady way to replenish health spent on life tap, either. Fail spec without a healer to hold its hand.
  • Demonology would actually be alright if the caster form didn't feel so weak (the long-cast shadow bolt certainly doesn't help) and if form twisting (sup corruption/doom) wasn't an issue. The sneaky little ramp-up mechanic in the form of Demonic Calling isn't appreciated, either. :D
  • Destruction, while I like the energy-style mana regen, is woefully simplistic. Also, Fire & Brimstone is quite possibly the clunkiest mechanic I've ever seen on any spec.

And the mana, ffs. I always enjoyed warlock in the past because of the fact that it was the one DPS class that never had mana troubles if you responsibly lifetapped. Now, with the self-healing gone, the only spec I can turn to where this still holds true is destruction. Guess which spec my warlock spends 99% of her time in? :)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I thoroughly enjoy playing my lock (is main), so no.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
I'm indifferent since it's all button pushing to me and this sentiment extends to all classes in my case. What I can say though is that Eurydemus is far less frustrating than playing a mage (because of the godawful 90 talents) and I'm thankful for that at least.

Maybe it's not only the class you find lacking in enjoyment. Could be WoW itself?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I'm indifferent since it's all button pushing to me and this sentiment extends to all classes in my case. What I can say though is that Eurydemus is far less frustrating than playing a mage (because of the godawful 90 talents) and I'm thankful for that at least.

Maybe it's not only the class you find lacking in enjoyment. Could be WoW itself?

In my case, no. It's just my warlock. I've been thoroughly enjoying my druid, monk, priest, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Yes. While I did start playing as a mage, I consider my warlock to be my main, as I played him the longest of all my characters.

They took out what I thought made warlock fun. High damage and healing over time. Now its a matter of insane burst and health CDs. Nothing more.

My mage is now currently my main. They've changed a bit, but are actually very fun! :P
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The only thing I find frustrating/disappointing about warlocks these days is that we can only have two specs. I find all three fascinating, and wish I didn't have to visit a trainer and respec every time I want to play around with Destruction.
Reply Quote
I feel that my warlock is kinda boring , not frustrating but just meh. Is it 8 years of wow? Is it the Mop warlock redesign? I /shrug.

- Affliction is a pita on starting thrash fights (thank god soulburn dots at least) and even worse on finishing them. Yeah gotta love drain soul once two dots are about to run out and refreshing them on a mob at 12% health will be useless. Aoe remains clunky and delayed. Yet once you're on single target bosses it gets even more simple than destro. Sometimes i like to role play this spec as a ''Dot'n'flay master'' but i get bored or annoyed quickly.

- Demo is as mentioned , a mess. Feels slow and heavy. This is your big Dodge Ram racing with Japanese tuners lol. Personally i dislike not using soulfire in meta. Unfortunately it's regarded as the optimal way to play. It's a let down because here you are shaping into a badass and virtually all you do is hammer on that same damn bind all the time. Refreshing corruption by going in and out is also kinda disjointed , but i skip that. Not a huge loss.

- Desto is well....simple. At least i don't find anything to be out of place , that is for single and 2-3 targets. Having to click an ability before every aoe cast is kinda , um , grrrrrr. Since i'm posting on my hunter , i'll say it feels like using the old trap launcher on every multi shot lol.

But hey , warlock was never revered as a ''smooth class'' lol. Nothing new i guess.

/end passive rant. Agree with the Op.
Edited by Tigidou on 2/17/2013 12:23 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/17/2013 06:44 AMPosted by Cloudmender
The only thing I find frustrating/disappointing about warlocks these days is that we can only have two specs. I find all three fascinating, and wish I didn't have to visit a trainer and respec every time I want to play around with Destruction.

This.

I have fun on my hunter and druid, but I still enjoy this one the most.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Unfortunately yes, afflictions rotations and the fact that dot's don't update with procs is a chore, like speed-spreadsheet 2000 or something.

The rotations in all three specs are kinda tedious now with the resources systems, and I feel like locks work harder to hit baseline using things like Grim Sac and Dark Soul, instead of it being a boost.

Dot's in aff don't do !@#$ without MG and haunt and managing shards is lame, it all feels/plays like crap imo. Destro does lacking deeps and blizz can't decide if they like or hate chaos bolt, let alone what that spec is supposed to do with it. Demo has no deeps except during dark soul and meta, instead of having solid deeps and it being higher during those times.

AoE is a PITA in affliction and destro, the fire and brimstone thing should be a freaking toggle, and managing that before every cast and also managing burning embers is craptastic. Affliction used to pwn at aoe, dotting everyhting up, now because of dot's relying on both haunt and MG/DS to make them do more than tickle, it's lame. Seed of corruption with its cast time as well as now activation time along with not firing off on anything but your own damage makes it too damn slow to really matter in AoE fights. Just a mess. Demo is aight in AoE, but is a mess otherwise.

Also they can't seem to figure out if fel flame is supposed to be really good or really suck. It costs a gigaton of mana to be the terrible choice at refreshing dots and do jack for damage, so it's like it has all this potential to be a great spell, but fails to actually live up to any of it...more or less the problem with class on whole at the moment.
Edited by Warlich on 2/17/2013 2:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock
02/17/2013 06:44 AMPosted by Cloudmender
The only thing I find frustrating/disappointing about warlocks these days is that we can only have two specs. I find all three fascinating, and wish I didn't have to visit a trainer and respec every time I want to play around with Destruction

Yes! what she said. All 3 specs have been completely redone, but they are all dps specs and I want to relearn all 3 and play all three freely.

But it really adds up in cost, and visiting a trainer is not convenient. I can't say --- oh I wonder how affliction would do on this without flying back to my home city and paying money. I am leveling more locks just so I don't have to (ok I admit I enjoy leveling locks :) , but really we should be able to play all our new specs on our main.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]