Dear Masters of the Dark Arts: Help!

90 Gnome Warlock
Hello,

I've been pretty much exclusively demo for a while now, and have done 2 weeks of LFR thus far.

I really enjoy demo, thinks it's a lot of fun, and thinking I may go into normal raiding soon.

I am, however, having some issues, and wanted to know if you could offer help and advice

1) GCD and Collision

I seem to be constantly be wanting to hit something, but can't. Good examples of this are wanting to refresh doom, but meta is on cd. OR, I hit DS, IS, meta, begin spamming, and notice I need to refresh HoG. So, I go into caster form, hit it, and now I'm stuck out of meta . . . so I should have just left the HoG? I believe I know and follow the priority system correctly, but I seem to be always wanting to hit spells when they are either on gcd as well. I find myself constantly waiting for the GCD to end. I feel I need to a cd button just for the GCD!

2) Life Tap

Is the idea to spam life tap when I'm low on mana, or to use it every once in a while? Should I use it at a particular number, like 60%? Right now, I am doing 1 of two things: spamming it followed by a healtstone, or, I look for those times the healer is healing me (read overhealing), and then I spam it and watch as the healer continues to heal me (I think I'm secretly tricking them). At any rate, I don't think either one of these strategies are very good and I would seriously love some help here.

3) Curse

Can bosses and mobs remove this from themselves? I swear I would apply this one some bosses in LFR and it just seemed to disappear after a few seconds. Also, if there are several locks in an lfr, why do I seem to be the only one applying it . . . .

4) How's demo looking for 5.2? I know aff is currently stronger, but I sense things are going to kinda get "refresh" come 5.2, so sticking to demo for now cause I really do love the one-one army feel and shapeshifting is a blast.

Much thanks and may your days continue to be dark and fruitful!
Edited by Renttispark on 2/16/2013 8:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
I'll leave #1 to some knowledgeable Demo warlock.

For #2, as Afflication I lifetap at like 80% usually when I have to move.

For #3, if someone else puts up a Curse it will look like your curse has disappeared. Don't worry, you still get the benefit of the curse regardless of which warlock has cast it. If I see another warlock put up Curse of Elements, then I put of Curse of Enfeeblement.

For #4, it looks like all spes are looking good (PVE wise), so play the spec you prefer.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
For #1, a little more practice will probably help. If you have a charge of HoG, use it before you shift into Meta. You're not "wasting" a charge of HoG until you have two, so that should give you plenty of time to spend demonic fury.

Demonology's rotation is complicated, but it's also pretty forgiving. The charges on Hand of Gul'dan mean that you have a pretty long window in which to cast it without losing dps. The stacking charges of Molten Core mean that if you start casting Shadowbolt when you should have been casting Soulfire, you're not losing out on that Soulfire, you'll just cast it next instead.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
02/17/2013 06:38 AMPosted by Cloudmender
For #1, a little more practice will probably help.

Yup, I'm sure that is true. I was thinking of using the glyph to help me out, but ultimately decided to just keep working on mastering these DoTs.

I just want to stress that my posts are not QQ about Demo.

Simply "Hi, noticed these issues, so some tips and advice would be appreciated"

It was a serious, SERIOUS, shift going from heroics to lfr, and I expect, normal raiding will be another huge step-up. Prior to LFR, I never really had to worry about life tap, and only had time for one meta most of the time cause things died so fast. It's probably my biggest issue right now.

Also, yes, I don't PvP. I ONLY PvE, so I'm seeking PvE help.
Edited by Renttispark on 2/17/2013 7:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
I havent used demo in pve in this expac. But as i understand it, for boss fights, You're meant to spend most of your time in caster form. Keeping HoG on cool as much as possible, consuming MC charges, refreshing Corruption, and filling with Shadowbolt.

Metamorphosis is a complicated ability, from what i know, You're meant to save HoG and MC charges for ordinary caster form, and never use it in meta (However i always personally thought using HoG in meta is far superior, but what ever floats your boat). Meta is therefore mainly used for three things.
1, Refreshing Doom, which should have a 100% uptime
2, Refreshing corruption with touch of chaos
3, And giving yourself massive burst when used in combination with Dark Souls and trinkets.

With these things in mind Using meta becomes bit of a dance (as i think you've worked out at this stage)

You shouldn't allow your demonic fury to cap, so right before it does, pop meta, refresh doom and corruption, spam touch of chaos to, what i believe, is 500 - 750. revert to caster form, HoG, Soul fire, Shadow Bolts, When DF is almost full, Meta again, rinse and repeat.
You want to keep cool downs on cool down, but only activate them with full demonic fury. Activate them all together, and consume all your demonic fury until you either run out of that, or the duration on your other cools expires. Then revert back to the earlier rotation.

From what i know, that's demonology pve in a nutshell. Obviously it'll change a bit between boss fights, handling adds, moving from fire, taking advantage of burst phases etc, but you'll learn all that with experience.

If you want more info, im sure you can find a forum guide somewhere, or look at noxxic or somewhere.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
02/17/2013 08:27 AMPosted by Morager
Metamorphosis is a complicated ability, from what i know, You're meant to save HoG and MC charges for ordinary caster form, and never use it in meta (However i always personally thought using HoG in meta is far superior, but what ever floats your boat). Meta is therefore mainly used for three things.

When you turn Meta, HoG turns into chaos wave, which has no DoT, doesn't stack, and removes a stack from HoG. I've understood this is the reason you only use HoG in PvE.

1, Refreshing Doom, which should have a 100% uptime
2, Refreshing corruption with touch of chaos
3, And giving yourself massive burst when used in combination with Dark Souls and trinkets.

I have an issue with number 2 (no pun intended). Chaos wave refreshes my DoT, but often, due to procs, I need to reset DoT and take advantage of pandemic (i.e., affdots is green), so I understand that I can't simply refresh it because it will not set a new dot with pandemic, which is what I really want.

With these things in mind Using meta becomes bit of a dance (as i think you've worked out at this stage)

You shouldn't allow your demonic fury to cap, so right before it does, pop meta, refresh doom and corruption, spam touch of chaos to, what i believe, is 500 - 750. revert to caster form, HoG, Soul fire, Shadow Bolts, When DF is almost full, Meta again, rinse and repeat.
You want to keep cool downs on cool down, but only activate them with full demonic fury. Activate them all together, and consume all your demonic fury until you either run out of that, or the duration on your other cools expires. Then revert back to the earlier rotation.

I'm getting much better at dancing. Still probably spending too long in meta form, but I honestly just love the look of it and get excited whenever I meta :D

I also think I'm practicing what you are saying, but I have a big question still: when to life tap?

Life tap is KILLING me!! Am I not using it enough? spamming soulfire too much? Not even enough time in meta? I'm having mana issues . . .

02/17/2013 08:27 AMPosted by Morager
If you want more info, im sure you can find a forum guide somewhere, or look at noxxic or somewhere.

I've read a few, and will read them again in the future too (here, icy veins, mmo), but I think I'm also where I need some more specific advice (i.e., what I'm doing wrong rather than a general what to press). I'm kinda at that stage where I've read the textbook, practiced, and now need to ask coach for some more specific advice that's tailored to what I'm doing wrong.
Edited by Renttispark on 2/17/2013 9:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/17/2013 09:06 AMPosted by Renttispark
I have an issue with number 2 (no pun intended). Chaos wave refreshes my DoT, but often, due to procs, I need to reset DoT and take advantage of pandemic (i.e., affdots is green), so I understand that I can't simply refresh it because it will not set a new dot with pandemic, which is what I really want.

Don't worry too much (or even at all) about this. Touch of Chaos is such a huge part of your dps that there's just no way to avoid overwriting Corruption. Carefully manage Doom, but don't ever delay Touch of Chaos to allow a strong Corruption to continue.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
02/17/2013 09:20 AMPosted by Cloudmender
Don't worry too much (or even at all) about this. Touch of Chaos is such a huge part of your dps that there's just no way to avoid overwriting Corruption. Carefully manage Doom, but don't ever delay Touch of Chaos to allow a strong Corruption to continue.

This

02/17/2013 09:06 AMPosted by Renttispark
I also think I'm practicing what you are saying, but I have a big question still: when to life tap?

Well iv never had mana issues, but i usually lifetap when i get to about 20% mana, and that usually lasts me about 30 seconds or so before i have to do it again. So once every so often is better than filling your entire bar at once. This way the healer only has to put a weak hot on you to make up for the health loss
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock

This

Well iv never had mana issues, but i usually lifetap when i get to about 20% mana, and that usually lasts me about 30 seconds or so before i have to do it again. So once every so often is better than filling your entire bar at once. This way the healer only has to put a weak hot on you to make up for the health loss

Thanks, I'm definitely feeling things a lot smoother now with your suggestions.

Not moving out of meta for corruption was definitely a big help, as well as using life tap once in a while rather than spamming it.

My only small concern now is my demon. He just seems to do is own thing, and I basically just check whether the CD is up and if he's alive. That's pretty minimal.

For example, during sha of fear, I'm attacking adds, moving from place to place, while my demon just stands there hitting sha, doing his own thing, until I command something strong from him.

Is that about all there is to worry about when it comes to demons and raid fights?
Edited by Renttispark on 2/19/2013 12:28 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]