FAQ & Informal Tank Comparison

100 Night Elf Death Knight
HotW is a big, big part of it, but I'm also talking about the ability to drop form and cast tranquility, swap to cat form (if you have vengeance it's usually better to stay in bear but with no vengeance cat wins by a huge margin), the ability to dump LoH-equivalent heals on the raid with Dream of Cenarius, etc.

Druids have a huge amount of their power locked up in talent choices. It's not good or bad, but it does mean that what they pick can make a very big difference in how they perform.
Reply Quote
Hey, folks. Just wanted to let people know that I'm (once again) taking up the mantle here, and will be updating this (and finishing it) for 5.4.

Only a year after it began!

Also, when WoD hits, I'll update it for WoD as well. I'd better start leveling a warrior and monk...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Good thread. Would have people even THINKING about tanking read it.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
I read the thread, but I'm still confused about which tank is best?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
03/11/2014 07:46 PMPosted by Quard
I read the thread, but I'm still confused about which tank is best?

Man nobody's taken the bait I'm sad now.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
I'm lonely.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
kanga go home

p.s. warlock
Edited by Liminara on 6/29/2014 5:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Obviously.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Monk
By far one of the best overall threads Ive read in a while, Nicely done.
Reply Quote
Thanks!

I'm looking forward to updating it for WoD.
Reply Quote
I'm enlightened with this article!
Reply Quote
24 Tauren Druid
I read the article i really don't understand it.. I never played a tank before and never raided before i only done a few dungeons so... What tank class should a noob play?
Reply Quote
Whichever tank you're willing to do the work to master.

Each class requires skill. Each class requires learning tricks and ability interactions to play optimally.

At low levels of difficulty (normal and below), complete mastery of a class simply isn't necessary, as encounter mechanics will matter far more than perfect class play. If you plan on doing heroic raids, then you need to pick a class you're willing to throw a lot of work at.

(On a side note, I appreciate you posting here instead of creating a new thread - sorry about the slow reply, though, I was traveling.)
Reply Quote
Thanks for this guide. I've been playing for too long, just goofing around on all my alts with no direction. I now have a 90 of every class and have set my mind on tanking. I've solo'd some old raids as Dk, Pally and Druid through the years, which has helped me understand the strengths/weaknesses of them. I also understand in a group setting this will change, so almost everything I have learned soloing becomes a moot point, for the most part.
My advice to those who want to tank, and have the time is to try the one/s you're interested in. Learn them, their strengths/weaknesses. Don't ask someone else what they like, you might not like the same thing.
Reply Quote
Im still confused. Im deciding between a guardian druid and a death knight (blood). I like each of them because of self heals but i also want to know- is the druid tank generally weaker damage wise? and is the druid harder to play? or are they both relatively the same?
Reply Quote
09/24/2014 08:07 PMPosted by Bbennett
is the druid tank generally weaker damage wise?

On live, as of this post: No. Guardians do more damage in almost all situations. Blood DKs do more damage with zero vengeance or on on AoE fights when the adds are out of the tank's reach for a long time, but that's about it.

On beta, as of this post: Don't even ask. Tank DPS tuning is nowhere near done, with a factor of two delta between the top and bottom.

09/24/2014 08:07 PMPosted by Bbennett
and is the druid harder to play?

Very subjective and still open to change. Normally, this late in a beta, I'd feel comfortable offering some commentary on tank playstyles, but realistically things are still moving too quickly to say what the rotations will be, let alone how challenging they will be to execute.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Monk
Just wondering if the WoD update has a timeline at all as im interesting in reading all the new changes!
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
12/06/2014 12:19 AMPosted by Deestylistic
Just wondering if the WoD update has a timeline at all as im interesting in reading all the new changes!
I have no idea what you're trying to ask, but this is the old FAQ thread.

The new Tank FAQ thread (still not sticky yet) is here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/15099500108
Reply Quote
100 Troll Monk
That is exactly what I was looking for ty
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]