FAQ & Informal Tank Comparison

96 Night Elf Warrior

"Druids subscribe to the axiom that the best-mitigated attack is the one that never lands in the first place, and when it does land, FUR POWER reduces it best.

I think that this is really important and bears(lolgetit?) repeating:

"Dear Tank Overlords, why would I ever roll a druid tank?"

BECAUSE YOU TURN INTO A GIANT BEAR AND SLAP SEVEN SHADES OF <Censored, keeping it work safe> OUT OF THINGS WITH YOUR BEAR PAW.

Seriously. It's a huge part of the druid kit, imo. We're a superficial society, and looks matter.
Edited by Thebusiness on 2/18/2013 6:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

"Druids subscribe to the axiom that the best-mitigated attack is the one that never lands in the first place, and when it does land, FUR POWER reduces it best.

I think that this is really important and bears(lolgetit?) repeating:

"Dear Tank Overlords, why would I ever roll a druid tank?"

BECAUSE YOU TURN INTO A GIANT BEAR AND SLAP SEVEN SHADES OF <Censored, keeping it work safe> OUT OF THINGS WITH YOUR BEAR PAW.

Seriously. It's a huge part of the druid kit, imo. We're a superficial society, and looks matter.

OT, but in your avatar, you look like a green Galactus.
Reply Quote
96 Night Elf Warrior
Which is a pretty good reason to roll a warrior :-)

NIGHT ELF WARRIORS, EATER OF WORLDS.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
CFT
02/18/2013 03:28 AMPosted by Slashlove
The change to specials is less about armour - that still applies, they made specials work off "As if you were not taking it over 20 seconds, but over 60 seconds" type thing. Functionally, it just meant that you don't get QUITE as big a payoff as when Prot Paladins could stand in Annihilate and have one Execution Sentence alone do more damage than an entire Rogue could, but you still get a payoff.
It also got capped to prevent the same thing as well.

That and nonsense like Paladins solo tanking Windlord heroic without any dispels.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
BEAR

That should be reason enough.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
This is an amazing guide. Requested a sticky.
Reply Quote
91 Dwarf Priest
02/18/2013 03:28 AMPosted by Slashlove
The change to specials is less about armour - that still applies, they made specials work off "As if you were not taking it over 20 seconds, but over 60 seconds" type thing. Functionally, it just meant that you don't get QUITE as big a payoff as when Prot Paladins could stand in Annihilate and have one Execution Sentence alone do more damage than an entire Rogue could, but you still get a payoff.
Ah yup, I thought there was another change too, but I couldn't remember what exactly.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Warrior
Solid guide so far. I'm looking forward to reading the expansion sections. Sticky Requested.
Reply Quote
64 Undead Rogue
Krinu, this is great I appreciate the time you took to create this!

Though to comment on our society, how inept are we becoming in decision making?

Happy 14th birthday!

When you lack the knowledge, it's hard to make a decision. This post gives you the knowledge, so you can make a decision.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I feel like you should cover basic rotations for each class.

The reason I love my monk is using a bunch of buttons and paying attention to everything.
The reason I love my DK is a bunch of CDs.
The reason I hate my Druid is feeling helpless when anything bad happens. All I can do is pop a CD.
The reason I somewhat like my paladin is having a few really powerful buttons and a few weak buttons and something to do in every situation.

I don't love how you describe them as offensive, defensive, personal utility, group utility. Useful description for PVP or character selection screen or fanfic, but it's all just buttons.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
02/18/2013 10:35 PMPosted by Guidance
I feel like you should cover basic rotations for each class.

That's something for a tank-specific guide, as the rotations - and all permutations thereof - can get quite complex. I'm not going to go into details on death strike timing or elusive brew stack maintenance in a broad overview.

02/18/2013 10:35 PMPosted by Guidance
I don't love how you describe them as offensive, defensive, personal utility, group utility. Useful description for PVP or character selection screen or fanfic, but it's all just buttons.

The entire game is "just buttons." What they do, and what kind of thematic package they fit in to, is what defines the classes... and there are definite trends within each class toward specific roles.

Attaching a label that accurately describes what the theme and niche behind the buttons is sort of the purpose of the guide. Warriors really DO have more buttons that affects enemies, Death Knights really don't have spells that work on allies (two: AMZ if you talent for it and Death Coil if you glyph it... and both are pretty much useless, with far better options available). Taking that and using it to give an impression ("DKs are self-focused, Warriors are enemy-focused") is a useful thing for new would-be tanks.

Again, this isn't meant to be an in-depth guide. It's meant to be a brief summary so people can get a general impression of what a tank will be doing with his or her time. If people want detailed mechanical breakdowns, there are - again - class specific guides around.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Why is this not stickied yet? Why can I only request sticky once? What is the square root of the easter egg?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/18/2013 11:30 PMPosted by Arcdeek
What is the square root of the easter egg?

Pie. The answer is always pie.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
Wait, if we get rid of all the "best tank" threads, what's going to be left for us to /drink?
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
02/19/2013 11:26 AMPosted by Choz
Wait, if we get rid of all the "best tank" threads, what's going to be left for us to /drink?

Have you forgotten the warlocks should tank threads?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
02/19/2013 11:26 AMPosted by Choz

Hopefully threads that ask in depth questions that are require some careful thought.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Bump. This post is too good to slip down the page.

(although it doesn't seem to be working as intended)
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
02/17/2013 07:28 AMPosted by Chuin
notepad or any other program will simply crashs when trying to open the txt file .. ~40-50mb of raw text is a bazilion of lines and codes.

Try downloading and using Scite. It is great for large files that make notepad choke.

Also, Krinu, what are the steps on actually becoming a sociopath? You know...just wondering. No real reason...

Also, Editpad Lite works wonderfully for editing large log files. I haven't used Scite, but other very good text editors I like (notepad++) have a harder time opening very large text files. Editpad Lite just opens them.

http://www.editpadlite.com/

He has a pro version, and if you like the lite version you can pay for it too. Which reminds me, just got my tax refund check, need to go do that.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I feel like this thread really needs to stay up near the top.
Reply Quote
94 Pandaren Warrior
I feel like that too.

Also it needs a second installment: "Warriors are great; You.....not so much"
Edited by Ðemolition on 2/22/2013 3:43 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]