FAQ & Informal Tank Comparison

(Sticky)

90 Night Elf Death Knight
I feel like that too.

Also it needs a second installment: "Warriors are great; You.....not so much"

Hehehehehehehe.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Also, Editpad Lite works wonderfully for editing large log files. I haven't used Scite, but other very good text editors I like (notepad++) have a harder time opening very large text files. Editpad Lite just opens them.

http://www.editpadlite.com/

He has a pro version, and if you like the lite version you can pay for it too. Which reminds me, just got my tax refund check, need to go do that.

There's a notepad alternatively which is literally called Notepad2 iirc. It does the job.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Very good analysis of tanks. Spot on.

Apparently, I'm the nut that leaps around like a wombat on steroids disarming, reflecting, and interrupting everything I see fit. The best defense is a strong offense?
Reply Quote
02/23/2013 11:47 AMPosted by Vladimíra
Apparently, I'm the nut that leaps around like a wombat on steroids disarming, reflecting, and interrupting everything I see fit. The best defense is a strong offense?

Pretty much, yeah.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Very good analysis of tanks. Spot on.

That's why warrior tanking is my preference, tbh.

You know, between face-stabbings.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Sticky restricted, Death Knight for life! Whoops, un-death lol
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
More bumpage
Edited by Chuin on 2/25/2013 9:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
In the Monk section, you mention Monks have a two-part active mitigation system. However, it's three part.

Elusive Brew, which you mentioned.

Stagger and using Purifying Brew to cleanse it, which you mentioned.

And Shuffle, which increases our Parry chance by 20% and amount staggered by 20%. This ability is huge for monks!

Other than that, I love this thread and have it bookmarked. Liked, and reported for sticky!
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
Shuffle is technically part of staggering anyway; you'll always have 100% Shuffle uptime, at least while tanking the boss, if you're doing it right.

Besides, it is supposed to be very very informal and brief, just the super basics for all five specs.

I could go on about how Krinu didn't mention glyph of Unending Rage (which is super powerful considering no other tank has the ability to pool 6 chi, 7/8 runes, 120 rage as a bear, or 6 holy power), Enraged Regen/Impending Victory/Last Stand as reactive tools, etc... but it's supposed to be basic. :P
Reply Quote
Shuffle is technically part of staggering anyway; you'll always have 100% Shuffle uptime, at least while tanking the boss, if you're doing it right.

Besides, it is supposed to be very very informal and brief, just the super basics for all five specs.

I could go on about how Krinu didn't mention glyph of Unending Rage (which is super powerful considering no other tank has the ability to pool 6 chi, 7/8 runes, 120 rage as a bear, or 6 holy power), Enraged Regen/Impending Victory/Last Stand as reactive tools, etc... but it's supposed to be basic. :P

Oh I know, I just figured Shuffle was part of that basic information. It further shows how active a Monk take has to be by managing three different tanking elements. It lends credence to the final statement of, "Play a monk if you like having lots of control over how you survive foes."
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
02/25/2013 11:59 AMPosted by Quíncey
Oh I know, I just figured Shuffle was part of that basic information. It further shows how active a Monk take has to be by managing three different tanking elements. It lends credence to the final statement of, "Play a monk if you like having lots of control over how you survive foes."
That's cute and all, but after you get around 6k haste it's not difficult at all to keep up Shuffle. Threshold will be even less in 5.2 since the healing talents don't cost any chi so our only chi spenders are BoK, Guard, and PB.

Monks aren't hard, just new.
Edited by Kangamooster on 2/25/2013 12:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
I thought about including Shuffle, but since it's a modifier on a mechanic rather than a separate mechanic, I left it out. Yes, any good monk will keep it up, but it's not essential to the overview.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/25/2013 12:17 PMPosted by Krinu
any good monk will keep it up

>.> <.<
Reply Quote
-.-;

I guess I could add it in. I mean, yeah, it's part of the rotation, but it's not a thematic cornerstone of the class...

Hmm.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
EB isn't really active mitigation IMO, since its pretty much out of our control if an when it decided to proc, all we control is when we press the button.
Reply Quote
Technically, my runic corruption procs are outside of my control, being a 45% chance on using rune strike, but they're a big enough part of my class as to warrant mention.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/25/2013 05:50 PMPosted by Krinu
Technically, my runic corruption procs are outside of my control, being a 45% chance on using rune strike, but they're a big enough part of my class as to warrant mention.

But you have to press RS for them to actually occur, plus working with Runes so you don't waste the proc.

EB is just making sure you're swinging at the boss.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
But you have to press RS for them to actually occur, plus working with Runes so you don't waste the proc.

EB is just making sure you're swinging at the boss.

EB involves you pressing a button for them to actually occur instead of just build up, plus working with a cooldown and boss mechanics so you don't waste the proc.

You're using the wrong logic to suggest it isn't part of what you do as a player ("Active Mitigation")
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
that feel when still not stickied
Reply Quote
02/26/2013 12:51 AMPosted by Sedori
that feel when still not stickied

I know... I know. Maybe they don't like the missing parts? I'll see if I can get those put together. Midterms are over, finally.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]