FAQ & Informal Tank Comparison

90 Orc Death Knight
I think this is the first sticky request I've ever made.

I would also like to suggest a disclaimer added to the Monk section. . .

DESPITE THE FACT THAT THE MONK TANK SPEC IS CALLED "BREWMASTER", MONK TANKING IS NOT VERY DRUNK FRIENDLY.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
This is a great read! It's nice to see an understandable summary of how all the tanks are different, yet effective in their own way. Thank you for your efforts in putting this together, Krinu. Sticky requested! :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Working on updates for 5.2. When the dust settles, I'll put the comparisons up - there have been some pretty large changes, and I'm not sure how long some of them will stay.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Sticky requested :D

Great job Krinu.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Monk
Great read, sticky requested!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Why is this on the second page?
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
But what about us DA locks?

kekekek
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman

kekekek
Bad doggy! /rolledupnewspaper
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior

kekekek

*scribbles down toon name*

/gkicks

:D
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

kekekek

*scribbles down toon name*

/gkicks

:D

D:
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
No drifting down for this thread.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Seriously, why is this not stickied yet?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior

Because if it got stickied it would just sit there like that "Tao" essay, and nobody would read it.
Reply Quote
03/17/2013 01:41 PMPosted by Stormhammer

Because if it got stickied it would just sit there like that "Tao" essay, and nobody would read it.

Yeah, maybe. But it might also cut down just a little bit on the repetitive questions and that would be very nice.

For instance, right now there are 4-5 threads on the first page that this tread basically answers.

Also the Tao thread has been viewed over 17,000 times.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Figured it was my turn to bring this back to the front page.

Well written Krinu. It is difficult to get sarcasm to come across in written form. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Can’t wait for you to fill out those teaser reserve posts.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
So I read this thread in its entirety, and there are three things I'd like to see compared if possible.

1. TPS
2. DPS
3. Health Pools

Reasons for the above. I've got one of each of the Tanking classes available and at maximum within 5 levels of being ready to raid (or ready to "walk on" to LFR now). I'd like to be able to enjoy doing some damage on the class I take - quite literally. At the same time, I think having a gigantic health pool (although not a focus in this expansion yet) also gives a tank that "powerful feel."

My gut feeling is that my two personal favorites - Warrior and Druid - will be the most likely candidates for putting out the highest TPS and DPS (though Monk may win on TPS). And Druid and DK will take the cake for largest health pools, but I don't have the methods to prove any of this - just a gut feeling.

Another reason for wanting this information is for fights like Alysrazor in Firelands. I wasn't a tank until after we were farming the content, but imo, requiring the Tanks to kill an add was an awesome mechanic. Its also something I could see Blizzard incorporating in some form in the future.

So, if you would be so kind, if you could add this information in the continuation of this thread, or maybe somewhere in your initial posts, that would be awesome. I think many people who come here will ask and look for similar (although experienced tanks know that its more than those three things that make a tank) so it may save you some time - assuming people read before posting :P.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, if someone really wants to be awesome and get some serious kudos, it would be great to actually see some math for each of the tanking sections. Ie, relative to the above, what is the realistic maximum that a Druid can reach for Dodge and Armor per tier, a Monk reach Dodge and Parry per current tier, etc. etc. That would really help people compare and say - DK can get 800k hp this tier with 20% dodge, and a Druid can reach 35% Dodge with 70k armor, etc. I know this is possible, because I watched a warrior a couple days ago come in an argue damage reduction and "ability" of his class versus a DK, and people were able to mathematically answer. I always <3 good math!
Edited by Maruki on 3/23/2013 1:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm still working on the pro/con section, and I'll definitely include things like AoE DPS, burst threat, and the like.

Health pools are a little misleading because you actually need to factor effective health in, not just overall health. For example, Death Knights have huge stamina modifiers - all in all, we run about 36% increased stamina. On the flip side, we also take about 15% more damage than a warrior does before you start even factoring active mitigation in.

So no, it's not forgotten. A more realistic estimate for their completion - what with both 5.2 making a rewrite necessary and my finals approaching - is sometime in the next week or two.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Thanks for responding Krinu, and so quickly. I understand it takes time to collect the information and crunch the numbers, much appreciated! I thought after posting that maybe if I checked TankSpot, EJ, or some other resource I might be able to find something, but its all hidden away in 40-50 page threads (if I'm lucky).

And if I'm not willing to do that digging, I know the average person who just wants to pick their first (or second) tank certainly won't either.

I understand what you mean regarding effective health versus the physical health pool. I think that would be an awesome detail. For my (selfish) purposes, I just want to know which tank can walk around with the biggest ego because they have the largest number on their green bar :).
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
So I read this thread in its entirety, and there are three things I'd like to see compared if possible.
They differ a lot based on raid size, Vengeance amount, and playstyle.

E.G. a DK can do some pretty great AoE DPS with Vengeance... but they'll die if they try to unload that many BBs. On the other hand, a Prot Warrior or Pally will end up doing tons of DPS with their survivability entirely intact.

03/23/2013 01:54 AMPosted by Maruki
My gut feeling is that my two personal favorites - Warrior and Druid - will be the most likely candidates for putting out the highest TPS and DPS (though Monk may win on TPS).
Depends on raid size. TPS and DPS go hand in hand, there's no "high TPS but low DPS" abilities any more. In 10m normals, Warriors are the lowest DPS; in 25h, they're the highest. Besides, the difference isn't even big - it's something like a 5% difference between the highest and lowest tank DPS.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]