FAQ & Informal Tank Comparison

90 Night Elf Death Knight
Silly lack of a sticky. I keep trying to request it again. Oh well. Guess I will just bump it instead.

Also, this thread was cited by WoW Insider in a Warlock column. Nice to see people are reading it.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/04/22/blood-pact-find-greater-knowledge-in-elites-tricks/
Edited by Taldorius on 4/22/2013 10:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Im curious why the weaknesses of each tanking class havent really been covered at all.
Reply Quote
Mostly because I'm lazy.

Also, they change from patch to patch.

Silly lack of a sticky. I keep trying to request it again. Oh well. Guess I will just bump it instead.

Also, this thread was cited by WoW Insider in a Warlock column. Nice to see people are reading it.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/04/22/blood-pact-find-greater-knowledge-in-elites-tricks/

Whoa!
Reply Quote
RETURN BACK TO WHENCE THEE CAME! I BANISH YE TO THE FRONT PAGE!
Reply Quote
Beginning posts on the pro/con section. If you have any comments or complaints, PLEASE tell me - I don't want to offend or insult, and this is by far the easiest section in which to do so.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
Deep Wounds also scales linearly with the amount of mobs you fight, just like how DK diseases work, so Warriors basically have a workaround for AoE DPS cap. Which shows, if you look at top Warrior logs (often with extremely high DW ticks).

Also, being able to Revenge Spam in AoE is like... well... imagine being able to DS twice as often for double your regular amount, so iunno if I'd call it a small AoE advantage
Edited by Kangarooster on 5/1/2013 3:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Don't you end up hitting the charge cap fairly quickly, then? Or do you just feed the leftover rage into Barrier?

(If it's really that huge, I'll definitely change the wording.)

Also, DW does scale linearly, but I consider that more of a "normal" thing than something exceptional. Thrash, DK DoTs, Breath of Fire, Deep Wounds... the only tank without some kind of DoT to spread around is the Paladin, and that's going to get a mention.

Out of idle curiosity, how much damage does a Warrior generally do with Deep Wounds in a high-vengeance multi-target scenario? I know DKs end up with obscene disease damage, on the order of 40% coming from frost fever and blood plague on fights like wind-lord or tortos.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-cl3jzjfezcys087l/sum/damageDone/?s=12875&e=13409#Kangarooster

Not that high, but Shield Slam scales insanely well post-hotfix buff. As an addition: a fight where DW would have shined last tier, H Wind Lord, isn't really that way in rankings because DW scaling got SIGNIFICANTLY buffed this patch.

BoF isn't really used in raid AoE tanking, and Thrash DoT doesn't hit that hard. The main reason you use Thrash is to reset Mangle. DW and Diseases are definitely the most significant tank DoTs.
Edited by Kangarooster on 5/1/2013 6:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Or do you just feed the leftover rage into Barrier?

Yup.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
the only tank without some kind of DoT to spread around is the Paladin

Kang and Krinu are confusing me.

Deep Wounds is a single target devastate thing right?

The spread thing is the old rend added directly to Thunder Clap, which is now just weakened blows sans the bleed?

There is no 1, 2 AoE punch, just a direct debuff of weakened blows every time you hit something with a Thunder Clap?

I don’t play pally but is that not just the same as hammer of the Righteous spread thing?

Not trying to argue, just understand.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
Thunder Clap spreads Deep Wounds to all the targets it hits.
Reply Quote
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=84615
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Derp, yes it does.

Blood and Thunder passive talent.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
BoF isn't really used in raid AoE tanking, and Thrash DoT doesn't hit that hard. The main reason you use Thrash is to reset Mangle. DW and Diseases are definitely the most significant tank DoTs.

Thrash DoT with Vengeance is PRETTTTTTY good.
Reply Quote
This almost fell to page 2. Totally unacceptable. Now if only people would read it. There are 4 or 5 new threads that this thread already answers.

Maybe if it got stickied?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Shield Block, why are you so amazing
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
bump
Reply Quote
Getting low.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
Sticky requested.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Krinu, your observations about the pros and cons of warrior tanks are spot on. I can't wait to read about the other tanks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]