Dawn of the Aspects summary

90 Draenei Monk
http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46834

Here's chapter 1 from Leviathon:

It begins with the Aspects and other better known dragons meeting below Wyrmrest for an accord. Chromie mentions that there are problems with the timeways but Nozdormu silences her and tells them that the timeways are now out of his control and that it now falls to mortals to handle it and only them. Ysera's daughter Meritha then mentions that the Nightmare at the Rift of Aln is acting up but Ysera says that handling the Nightmare now falls to the druids as they can handle it better than the Green Dragons as she too lost her powers.

So yea it seems the dragonflights did lose their abilities.

The dragons then begin bickering when Kalecgos goes to speak with Alexstrasza saying it would have been disrespectful if they didn't meet at the current cycle of the Twin Moons to which Nozdormu asks who it'd be disrespectful too. Elune which the night elves worship? To the titans or their servants when they don't know if the Titans even exist anymore? It surely is not disrespecful to the dragons and he says it is best to put the Accord to a rest and move their own separate ways and deal with their own problems. Kalec mentions how the point of accord was to be united but then Ysera brings up Neltharion and Malygos to show how well being united worked while even making a glance to Nozdormu who says it's best to not leave him out but that accursed dragon was his far future self but he is to blame for his evils just as Neltharion was to blame for what he did as Deathwing to which Alexstrasza mentions that the future has been altered forever after he fought his future self and that he should not mull over it. But now they are no more powerful than any other dragon and the time of the Aspects has passed and so has the Wyrmrest Accord. Kalec tries to mention how they are still the leaders of their flights but Ysera and Nozdormu still leave saying that their time is done and that Azeroth must look to other defenders.

Kalec then says if they want to end the Accord than they shall do so with the proper respect and meet again in 1 month. After they all leave Kalec is left thinking to himself about what had happened there and thought it may have been better if he stayed in Dalaran as Khadgar suggested and join the Kirin Tor. But in the end he had made excuses to Jaina saying he needed to oversee the crumbling of the Nexus' defensive spells. His own dragonflight has all but fallen apart and that he has also failed as the leader of the Blue Dragonflight with the Nexus now becoming a place of emptiness. He still felt ashamed at his failure to prevent Theramore by finding the Focusing Iris and what it caused to Jaina. But even with all this misery he was not ready to die yet in the frozen wastes of Northrend and flew from Wyrmrest. Being a Blue Dragon he still was more attuned to arcane magic and sensed something nearby and found the remains of Galakrond and flew towards them.

That's the end of chapter 1.

And then from me, here's chapter 2:

Couple things from chapter 1 I didn't see Levi mention:
-Ysera sarcastically suggests all of the Aspects start hanging out in their humanoid form with nicknames to finally bring an end to their era. She then states that she has spent more time as a night elf than a dragon lately.
-Naralex led some druids to deal with the Nightmare. This might be his quests in South Barrens or it might not be, idk.
-The Aspects don't think of themselves as Aspects anymore. They only think of themselves as three big dragons, among hundreds of other dragons.
-Afrastrasz was sympathetic to Kalec voting to keep the Accord, but everyone else wanted it gone.

so chapter 2:
Kalec lands at Galakrond's Rest, with a little fear that Galakrond might suddenly burst to life and eat him. He had never felt this weird magic trace before even though he had been to this part of Dragonblight more than once. He uses some magic sphere to melt away thousands of years worth of snow then scrapes away at the hole it made to find whatever is hidden beneath.

He suddenly sees:
-A yellow protodragon arguing with an orange one.
-A robed humanoid with one arm visible.
-A white protodragon shrieking as it shrivels into a skeleton.
-A dragon, faint bits of green skin, charging at Kalec with flesh hanging off rotting bones.

Kalec screams and stumbles back, crashing into Galakrond's ribcage. He felt like the visions were real but none of them made any sense especially not the last two. He starts digging into the whole again and a lavender aura raises from it. He finds an octagon-shaped object made of a metal he doesn't know. It changes from looking like gold to looking like iron depending on how he held it. The lavender aura surrounded it but was separate, like clouds over a globe.

He tries to probe it but the aura fades, and now the magic emanations have stopped too. He leaves Galakrond holding the hexagon tight, and as he leaves he looks into Galakrond's empty eye sockets. He would use the artifact as an excuse not to think about his most recent failures. He sees Wyrmrest Temple and hisses, because it no longer means anything for him. It just represents the future he had once thought awaited him as an Aspect.

At the Nexus, two blue dragons leave and head south. Kalec doesn't know if they ever intend to return. An old dragon named Jaracgos meets Kalec and calls him Spell-Weaver but Kalec says that's no longer his title. Jaracgos says he was glad Kalec returned because he would have felt guilty leaving without telling him. He promises to return on occasion.

As Kalec walks through the Nexus he hears "Do not argue, Neltharion!"
"I do not argue! I fight!"
Then he sees a young yellow dragon and a high peak that looks like the ones in Storm Peaks but isn't as weathered by time. He hears a female blue dragon calling to him in the distance, then hears a roar and realizes it's him roaring.

Cut to Malygos as a blue and white protodragon, flying over the sea and thinking the hunt had been good. Kalec suddenly thinks in Malygos' mind, reminding himself who he is and wondering what's happened.
Malygos sees another protodragon and starts to seek it, despite Kalec trying to make his body fly back to Coldarra. It's not unusual for protodragons to challenge others for dominance, and Kalec wonders how he knows that. Kalec doesn't know how he knows this protodragon is a young Malygos.

Malygos roars at an orange proto dragon, but she yells she means no harm. Kalec wonders how this one could speak, and thinks apparently some of them crossed the threshold out of mere animals. He thinks this is the same orange protodragon he saw in a vision earlier.
Malygos says "No battle," agreeing with the female orange. The orange is looking for her missing clutch brother. Malygos doesn't see any other orange ones. The female has nowhere else to look.
The female know where he was but not where he went and Malygos says to show him. They fly to a rocky landscape and a grey protodragon charges out, Malygos growls at him, but the female says "No enemies!" Malygos says "A waste! He is a stupid one! Not smart!"

The gray one roars and the shockwave sends Malygos flying back. The gray pursues and Kalec thinks this one is more like protodragons he's used to. After they fight the gray flees, and the orange female says the gray was scared and he didn't want to fight. But he gave no choice.
Malygos says "Very supid beast! Not smart like me! Not smart like Malygos!" and the female agrees, that he is smarter than her. Malygos says "I am smart. I will find your clutch brother, Alexstrasza."

Alexstrasza wonders why the gray one was scared, Malygos shrugs (somehow). Vertigo overwhelms Kalec and now he's seeing a different time period, still from Malygos's point of view. A mournful howl raises next to him, and Alexstrasza is letting out the cry. Alex's brother is dead. He was nothing more than a shriveled mass of skin and bone, and Kalec has no idea what happened to him. Malygos shivers but doesn't know why.

A shadow blankets then, something high above. Before Kalec could focus on what he saw, his surrounds turned chaotic full of voices, roars and brief images. Then he blacks out.
Edited by Dreignei on 2/18/2013 4:16 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
To think they think we different races have issues. These Dragons certainly have a lot more issues then the average dysfunctional family. I am in no way trying to insult dysfunctional families but it's very...scary seeing the Dragons so....chaotic and act like chickens with it's head's cut off.

I'm not sure if I like this or find this annoying.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
To think they think we different races have issues. These Dragons certainly have a lot more issues then the average dysfunctional family. I am in no way trying to insult dysfunctional families but it's very...scary seeing the Dragons so....chaotic and act like chickens with it's head's cut off.

Are you talking about the present-day stuff in chapter 1 or the protodragon stuff in chapter 2?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage

Are you talking about the present-day stuff in chapter 1 or the protodragon stuff in chapter 2?

Present Day. The ProtoDragon Stuff I can't even....make sense of.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk

Present Day. The ProtoDragon Stuff I can't even....make sense of.

Kalec is seeing flashbacks through the eyes of Malygos.
Malygos meets Alexstrasza. Alex's brother has gone missing.
They look for him and are attacked by an animalistic grey one, not capable of speech. The grey one is afraid of something. He flees.
Malygos and Alex find Alex's brother. He's dead, nothing but flesh and bone.
Big shadow sweeps over them.
End of chapter.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I would have thought that dragons would actually be better at whatever they did than mortals, if a bit limited by numbers. Honestly, it seems like they should just disappear. Clearly, dragons are just bloated, inferior life-forms.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Chapter 3

Kalec wakes up not where he passed out, but in his own private room. A feminine voice is calling to him and he mumbles her name but it doesn't sound right to him. When he opens his eyes she's not there.

Kalec doesn't know how long he was passed out, and looks at the hexagon artifact still in his claws. He almost throws it against the cave walls but stops himself. He summons an arcane prison big and we get a bit of exposition that they can open in a variety of ways at the whim of the user. With this one the top opens up like a lid. Kalec puts the thing inside of it and the prison vanishes.

Sighing, Kalec recalls the voice as Jaina. This was not the first time she had called him since he left Dalaran. He's sure she's worried, and also thinks she blames him for not being able to find the Iris fast enough.
Jaina keeps contacting Kalec and he finally responds. A gap appears in space before him showing an image of Jaina in her room in Dalaran, I guess like Jaina's own magic mirror she uses. Kalec changes into his half-elf form. Jaina says she was worried about him, Kalec says he's fine. Jaina can tell he's not sleeping enough, and that all this work can wait. Kalec blurts "It has to be done" Jaina is surprised but it turns to compassion, and it makes Kalec abashed. He changes the subject to her and the Kirin Tor.

Jaina says things have turned upside-down since Kalec was there. She's been forced to make changes she doesn't like, but were necessary. She doesn't elaborate and Kalec doesn't press her. He wanted to help but since he can't even help himself he's not sure how he can help her. He thinks "perhaps it's time to end this", but then an image of proto-Alexstrasza appears in his mind. Kalec gasps, Jaina asks if he's okay, but a loud roar drowns it out. Kalec says she's right and he hadn't gotten enough rest, even as more images assault him.
Jaina asks if he's sure he's alright, and now another protodragon corpse appears before Kalec. Something about it is even more unsettling than previous ones but it vanishes before he can make out what. The voices he's hearing grow maddening. Kalec makes up an excuse that he has to convene with a council, doesn't care if it doesn't make sense, and closes the magic-mirror-vision-thing.

He falls to his knees, halfway between dragon and human forms and unable to focus. His knees shift back and forth between the two forms and it hurts like a mother!@#$er. He falls forward...

...And proto-Malygos flies through the air of Northrend. Alextrasza isn't here this time, but there are more proto-dragons in the air. At least six different colors. None of them seem to want to fight each other. Malygos is agitated and Kalec isn't sure what is bothering him. Kalec looks down and sees caribou, which is why so many protos are in the area. Two protos dive down to catch one, but a smaller yellowish one misses her dive and almost crashes into the ground. As the yellow female pulls up Alexstrasza joins her, and is holding one of the caribou by the neck. She had bit it in a spot that killed it almost instantly, which amused Malygos because most protos keep their prey alive and fresh until the last moment. Alex seemed guilty needing to hunt at all.

Alex offers the caribou to the small yellowish protodragon, who clearly needs it, but she snaps at Alex. Alex stays patient and continues to attend to her. Kalec thinks how even back in the past she took care of the helpless.
Malygos loses interest in the two females, turning away to see a brown male. The brown hovers above a herd of caribou, dive down as they made a sharp turn designed to put the predators of their mark. But the brown knew exactly what angle and speed they'd turn, picking up two caribou while other protodragons just crash into the grass. Malygos admires his cleverness and timing.
The two who crashed now hiss at each other; like the grey one from before they're just animals. Malygos watches them with contempt, and Kalec can't help but wonder why only a few proto-dragons are capable of sentience.
A blue-green male sneers at the arguing pair then glares at Malygos, and Kalec knows his name is Coros - he knows because Malygos knows.

Coros is clearly a rival of Malygos, hissing at the blue-white protodragon then beginning to eat his fresh kill. As he chews he glares at Malygos more. Malygos considers fighting Coros, but the small yellowish female from earlier lands next to Malygos. She snorts in frustration as Alexstrasza also lands by them. "My brother..." she hesitates. "My sister says you found him."
Malygos and Kalec are both startled that this is Alex's sister, since their colors are nothing alike. The only similarity is that their skin was smooth, not rough. Alex's sister says that they were the only three of their clutch to survive. Now only two.

Malygos dips his head; only three eggs surviving means ill tidings for the family. In a healthy family someone as sick and small as this yellow female would have been killed right after hatching. Malygos tells the yellowish female his death was strange. She wants to know how he died, Malygos doesn't know. The female leans closer, "There was another-" Alexstrasza interrupts her. "No, Ysera! We agreed that-"

Whatever Alex says nest Kalec doesn't pay attention, staring at the sick, malnourished yellowish proto dragon that would one day be one of the Aspects.
He suddenly starts paying attention again to see Alex and Ysera hissing at one another, necks bent back as if they were about to fight. Kalec can't tell if they were really angry or only showing off.

(then this is where the excerpt Blizz posted comes in http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/8636640)
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
Nozdormu and Ysera are tools. I mean losing your Aspect powers would be a big deal, but they've completely wimped out and decided to offer zilch help whatsoever. Selfish, awful douchebags.
Edited by Gandred on 2/18/2013 5:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
91 Night Elf Druid
Ysera's that sarcastic goth chick you just wanna take behind the school and do dirty, dirty things to.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/18/2013 05:16 PMPosted by Ferlion
Ysera's that sarcastic goth chick you just wanna take behind the school and do dirty, dirty things to.

All of them are messed up. Personally I favor Alexstraza but hey that's just me.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I think Ysera's kind of !@#$%y in chapter 1 honestly.

And I never imagined her as being the "helpless sick little girl" but apparently she was.
Reply Quote
99 Troll Hunter
I don't like that they had names and were relatively sentient.

I think this is one of those things that didn't need a story, and needed more of a 'history book' type of delivery, like something that Brann could have found in Ulduar and translated to Common. Something that was an account of the history of the Dragons.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
02/18/2013 05:30 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
I don't like that they had names and were relatively sentient.

Kalec notes it's odd that only a few of them can talk. I'm sure the sentient ones are results of Titan experiments.
Speaking of which, I think the robed guy with one arm visible Kalec saw in chapter 2 is Tyr.
Edited by Dreignei on 2/18/2013 5:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Chapter 4

Kalecgos wants Malygos to follow Neltharion, but Malygos has lost interest./ Not just in Neltharion but in everything else going on. Without a word to Alex and Ysera he just starts flying north. A few hiss at him as he passes but he just wants to go take a nap ion his cave now that he's eaten.
Coros (the one who kept glaring at malygos before) and another blue-green male crash into Malygos, and as he plummets the two attackers dive down. Malygos slows his descent but can't get up right, so he fires off icicles from his mouth at Coros. Coros evades them but the other one doesn't, the icicles piercing his wing. But now Malygos is hit from behind again as a third one joins Coros. Malygos guesses this ambush had been set up before Galakrond appears.

Coros lets out a smoke breath, and Malygos struggles to breathe as it clogs his nostrils and mouth. The proto-drake who got icicle'd reenters the struggle and charges at Malygos's throat. What sounds like thunder roars as one of the attackers drops down suddenly and Neltharion collides with Coros with a laugh. He cries that if Coros wants a fight, he should fight him. Coros opens wide to attack, but Neltharion slams his jaw up, closing Coros's mouth.

Coros claws at his own mouth, struggling to get it open again. Malygos admires Neltharion using the blue-green proto's breath weapon against him. The third attacker attacks Neltharion now, wrapping his claws around Neltharion's throat. Malygos frees Neltharion, striking the blue-green's wings and neck. Coros and his lackeys flee, and Neltharion roars at them for being cowards.

Neltharion says "You fight good! Not as good as Galakrond, not as good as me, but good!" Malygos thanks him, Neltharion: "No! Thank you! It was a good fight!" Neltharion declares them brothers in blood. Malygos asks if Neltharion knows why Galakrond hunts in this area now if he never has before.
Neltharion says "More food. Yes, more food here."
Malygos: "More food. Our food!"
Neltharion: "Our food... not good."

Malygos notices something, Neltharion thinks Coros and his flunkies are coming back. But Malygos sees something else, and flies over to some hills. Kalec can't see anything through Malygos's eyes, but Malygos tenses up as though he could see something.

Someone says in Kalec's/Malygos's head "So powerful a sensitivity..."

Part of the landscape moves, about the size of a tall human. Neltharion and Malygos don't notice it. Kalecgos sees what is watching tiem, then the world spins around him and he wakes up back in the Nexus still half-human-half-dragon.

He takes a drink from a founain nearby as he shifts back to dragon form. He goes back to the hexagon artifact in the arcane prison, which has started glowing violet again like it did back in Dragonblight. He wanted nothing to do with it anymore, he pictures a place far away and teleports the artifact there.

Kalec's attention goes back to the proto-Aspects. He assumes Nozdormu has also been in the visions but isn't sure. He wonders what they mean but wants nothing to do with them. He's worried that if they had progressed, the visions would "steal his mind." Now calm, Kalec goes to get another drink and sees a cadaverous dragon with sunken white eyes and shriveled flesh with its tongue hanging to the side. It lunges for Kalec and vanishes.

But he can still smell the decay, which shakes him since it should have just been an illusion. His mind turns to the artifact, now hundreds of miles away, and he can't believe it affects him from so far away. He realizes the vision was a proto-dragon, not a dragon.
Suddenly he hears a voice

"This thing is dead! This thing cannot fight!"

He roars and spins around, refusing to listen to the voices.
"So many dead..."
"We cannot fight..."
"It must be done, no matter the sacrifice."

The last voice cut through all the others, and now again Kalec sees the hooded and robed humanoid with one arm visible. It vanishes, and Kalec is afraid if he even moves the whole thing will start again. He decides to go find Alexstrasza.

She was hard to find because if she stayed in one place for long she'd start thinking about everything that had been lost. Kalec lands nearby a human village and turns into his half-elf form, he sees four children playing hide and seek. Kalec comments that they seem happy, and Alex appears next to him from behind a tree facade. She can see why Krasus enjoyed humans so much.

Kalec says he needs her guidance, and now Alex doesn't seem pleased. She says her advice will do little, then is distracted as a little girl hugs her older brother. Alex claps with delight at the sight. Kalec notices that Alex's smile is strained, and so steps back to leave her alone. He realizes the Aspects have withdrawn from the world, more than he has.

"Dead! It is dead! It should not fight!"
"Another Beware! Another-"

Kalec falls forward again w, the voices receded and he blacks out for what only seems like a few seconds. But now he's nowhere near the forest or human village, inside a deep twisting canyon that stretched for miles with sparse trees. He knew where he was but felt most others probably didn't, then sees the hexagon artifact laying before him, still glowing.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I would have thought that dragons would actually be better at whatever they did than mortals, if a bit limited by numbers. Honestly, it seems like they should just disappear. Clearly, dragons are just bloated, inferior life-forms.

Sorry but we need them for them army of light so they cant disappear. On topic this book does look pretty good...if only it were not an ebook I would have bought it...
Reply Quote
Wow, imagine my surpise when nearly half of the posters in this thread are on my ignore list.

02/18/2013 05:16 PMPosted by Ferlion

Go on...
Edited by Seebach on 2/18/2013 6:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Chapter 5 is lonnnnng
Edited by Dreignei on 2/18/2013 6:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Meh
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Also I think Tyr's severed hand appears!
Reply Quote
91 Undead Warlock
Well, considering tiny mortals do their jobs better than they, giant dragons empowered by the titans, I would likely become depressed as well if I was in their shoes,

But... why does Kalecgos even have to be involved with the past scenes? I would've just done it from Malygos's point of view, and not from Kalecgos's from Malygos's eyes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]