Anduin is more annoying than Thrall...

100 Human Paladin
02/19/2013 04:19 PMPosted by Leviathan
At least they try to justify working with Thrall. There's no real explanation as to why the Horde goes traipsing around Krasrang with a guy you spent half a zone kidnapping and never even have the point acknowledged, much less acted upon.
'

That is one thing that always bothers me. I never understood why the Horde player followed him around.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
02/19/2013 04:25 PMPosted by Gollard
At least they try to justify working with Thrall. There's no real explanation as to why the Horde goes traipsing around Krasrang with a guy you spent half a zone kidnapping and never even have the point acknowledged, much less acted upon.
'

That is one thing that always bothers me. I never understood why the Horde player followed him around.

Because it's to help the Temple of the Red Crane.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
He does have a tendency to hijack stories for himself, an uncanny ability to somehow completely avoid negative consequences for anything he does, a strange power to one up people who should be many times his superior, a mystical charisma that seems to make him well respected by any of the designated good guys and despised by any of the designated bad guys, a prodigious aptitude for his chosen activities, an astounding lucky streak that seems to cause reality to bend around him into the most convenient fashion... and a likability spawned not out of any actions, but out of the writers demanding he be liked.

Thank you. Logic in a barren wasteland (granted this was more of a silly thread than anything but still). Just annoying to see the people who say "try to hard". It's not like this is an actual argument. Unless their wives really do want him over them. Which answers one question but raises so many others.... Then again if they're considering this to be an actual thing I put effort in, no wonder they'd be ditched for a fictional character amirite? :P

I'm just saying with all that he is and such he tends to seem like a writer's favorite. I assure you, had he been female, the term mary sue would be all over this forum. I think it's just a combo of gender bias (you can't have a male mary sue idea) with a strong coating of stupid.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
02/19/2013 04:27 PMPosted by Lorelaî
'

Because it's to help the Temple of the Red Crane.

Capturing Anduin would help the Horde win the war.
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
02/19/2013 02:17 PMPosted by Mashedorbake
He's trained in a warrior's ways. Under very good trainers. As for the hutner, he uses a bow. You show me a priest that uses a bow, and I'll show you someone hacking a game.

Priests commonly use bows in some fantasy settings.

In the case of Warcraft, Tyrande.

Also, the point of his story arc there was that he wasn't very good with the bow or with weapons.

He does. Velen predicts hiom in his short story not only leading the mortal races, but dragon, and then naaru, following him into battle.

My misunderstanding, then. I thought you meant he lead them in general. Which certainly would never be the case.

So why again isn't he a Marty Stu?

What do his psychological issues have to do with his status as a cliche?

immadbro.

More like you're just a silly troll.
Reply Quote
He's trained in a warrior's ways. Under very good trainers. As for the hutner, he uses a bow. You show me a priest that uses a bow, and I'll show you someone hacking a game.

He was trained as a warrior by good teachers BUT WAS NEVER GOOD AT IT. Go reread (or I suppose just read) the Shattering. Sure he gets trained as a warrior, but even so it's made explicitly clear he'll never be in the same league as a true warrior like his father.

He does. Velen predicts hiom in his short story not only leading the mortal races, but dragon, and then naaru, following him into battle.

That vision may or may not come to pass, and even if it does, we see him leading a charge into battle. That doesn't mean he's the Naaru's boss. Besides when the the Naaru ever take front stage in battles anyway? They've always been more supportive.

So why again isn't he a Marty Stu?

Anduin and Bruce Wayne have very different stories. For one thing, Varian wasn't murdered in front of Anduin. (Well he was in the human leader short story, but Anduin ressed him. Or was he just injured and got healed? I forget the specifics there.) The real conflict with Anduin was the schism that formed between him and his father that hit a climax in Wolfheart, and we saw a resolution to in the human short story. Not being forever emotionally scarred by hardship to the extent you hunt criminals in the night doesn't mean you're a gary stu. If anything, some interpretations of Batman DO make him out to be a gary stu imo, such as The Dark Knight Returns, but that's another topic.

To the person who commented on the Horde having no reason to help him in their Krasarang quests: i haven't done the horde side there but I'll grant this point. But that's just an oversight in blizzard's plotting of the quest line rather than a mark against the character himself.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Death Knight
I like Anduin because he is leading us toward some kind of grudging truce, and this faction war is getting way out of control.

That said, he is incredibly irritating. Not only because of his story, but in the way he acts. He's arrogant, self-righteous, and naive.

He is Blizz's new pet character, wait and see he'll be worse than Varian, far worse.

At least we won't be swarmed by the physical emodiment of our hatreds (hopefully).
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
02/19/2013 10:35 AMPosted by Healstime
He's not nearly Thrall level of annoying yet.

The hell he isn't. He's an Azerothian Wesley Crusher.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
You show me a priest that uses a bow, and I'll show you someone hacking a game

Hey, if Mr T. could do it.........
Reply Quote
93 Orc Warrior
You are trying too hard, and evidently either you don't understand the party you're attending or you're here for conceited reasons to pat yourself on the back and feel clever. It's getting to be ridiculously annoying how many of you precocious little literary critics discover that tropes exist and that there's a concept known as a Mary Sue and all of a sudden you feel the need to judge anything and everything by these standards, context be damned.

There is a time and a place for legendary larger than life characters that aren't multifaceted George RR Martin clones, not everything is supposed to be sophisticated and realistically mundane, in fact the preoccupation people like you have with everything having to avoid the "mistakes" you perceive as "bad writing" is getting to be just as bad and worn out as any actual Mary Sue character ever was.

The world would be a better place if people with actual passion and imagination were free to indulge themselves without people like you discovering what a trope is, even if it meant a few more actual Mary Sues or not to endure out there in the stories people tell. Being a superhero who does amazing things does not make you a Mary Sue all by itself. These characters are not without flaws, and most of the people who dismiss Anduin just have an axe to grind over their pet theories and faction pride issues.

We get it, you know what a trope is, and you see them being used. Here's a cookie for all of you precocious and pretentious little wannabe authors. Warcraft is primarily genre homage, it's like if Tarantino gave a crap about Tolkien or mythology along with superheroes,... you could play along and have fun, but I suppose fun for some people is in pointing out how stupid and unsophisticated other people are for liking something you deem bad.

Pick a better target, really. Warcraft never pretended to be anything but an excuse to make up stories for over the top illustrations with funny voices.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
A bunch of negative responses, but I found the post funny. Giggling a bit still.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
/Secretly hopes Anduin dies in the most boring, non-Mary Sue way possible

I think that would be old age.

And yes, I hope he dies of old age too.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
02/20/2013 06:05 AMPosted by Shivallah
A bunch of negative responses, but I found the post funny. Giggling a bit still.

I laughed quite a bit actually. I like Anduin but if he continues the way he has been then I'll be wishing he would die.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
The reason why we deal with Anduin at the temple of the red Crane is...
Well, you're kinda surrounded by neutral Pandaren (who both need your help, offer gold for that help, and would beat the !@#$ out of you if you caused trouble.).

Even better? Anduins quests are both to help the Pandaren, and he -pays- you.
He -knows- you're Horde, and treads lightly because of it. He wants to mend relations, so that's why he doesn't run like a little sissy. He, through the power of gold and being a decent person, gets the Horde player to aid the Pandaren at the temple, and not the Alliance. He also accompanies the Horde player, and helps them with those problems, in good faith.

He's still considered very much fair game...but it just so happens that these Horde adventurers are more interested in getting in good graces with these new Pandaren. After all, if you make a good impression, you may get additional forces, perhaps? And rewards too!

And Anduin is not completely flawless. He has shown to make mistakes before. He went, alone, to face the Divine bell. And nearly got himself killed for that. He has little ways in Combat. He is a priest, through and through, and can only survive through diplomacy/healing. That's what sets him apart from Thrall. Thrall was powerful, and all loving, and so diplomatic. Anduin is only diplomatic...and even then, he is still only 15 years old, so he comes off as very naive. I think the only reason why Baine and the other leaders find him so charming, is that he's trying so hard to be mature, and all leader like at such a young age.

At this point, Anduins strength (his willingness to lean, his childish naivity) can also be considered a weakness, which leaves room for character development, both negative (he becomes jaded), and positive (he continues learning, and is able to lead better because of it). Thrall, on the other hand, is already self actualized, and even worse, we haven't seen much in the way of flaws on his end, which is what gives him the label of 'Authors pet'.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
02/20/2013 03:56 AMPosted by Lochnar
He's not nearly Thrall level of annoying yet.

The hell he isn't. He's an Azerothian Wesley Crusher.

Well, considering I thought Wesley was cute, I can't complain.

But I would much rather work with Anduin than work with Thrall. They ruined is character by making him Go'el.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Priests commonly use bows in some fantasy settings. In the case of Warcraft, Tyrande

Tyrande is apriestess of Elune. Anduin is a priest of the light.

that he wasn't very good with the bow or with weapons

So in Varian's story, where he's sniping the assassins off
The prince bravely stood his ground, firing arrow after arrow into the attackers. Many of the assassins were now bristling with feathered shafts,
Anduin nocked and fired arrows in a smooth and skilled blur of mastery. The streaking shafts hit one of the last defenders with perfect accuracy, burying themselves deep. The rogue dropped where he stood

That's him being bad? I hate to see him being skilled, he could fire an arrow from SW and hit Garrosh, in org, and that'll be the last fight in the xpack :P

ty it means a lot. At least someone laughed...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
02/19/2013 04:04 PMPosted by Mohrrk
you heard it here folks, Tyrande is a hacker
all I got out of this thread.
Reply Quote
02/20/2013 12:49 PMPosted by Mashedorbake
Priests commonly use bows in some fantasy settings. In the case of Warcraft, Tyrande

Tyrande is apriestess of Elune. Anduin is a priest of the light.

that he wasn't very good with the bow or with weapons

So in Varian's story, where he's sniping the assassins off
The prince bravely stood his ground, firing arrow after arrow into the attackers. Many of the assassins were now bristling with feathered shafts,
Anduin nocked and fired arrows in a smooth and skilled blur of mastery. The streaking shafts hit one of the last defenders with perfect accuracy, burying themselves deep. The rogue dropped where he stood

That's him being bad? I hate to see him being skilled, he could fire an arrow from SW and hit Garrosh, in org, and that'll be the last fight in the xpack :P

ty it means a lot. At least someone laughed...

You DO know that lore characters don't follow game mechanics right? So he's a good shot with bow. So what? What lore suggests that a priest cannot use a bow effectively, especially when he learned that BEFORE he started training with the Light? A priest being able to use a bow is not mary sue. You could apply this to every major character. What major lore character ISN'T a badass in some way and isn't very very skilled at what they do? If your defination of mary sue is 'he can use a bow and he's a priest' then you ought to look elsewhere, I"m sure you'll see mary sues everywhere in WoW.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
I know 3 ladies IRL who sploosh when talking about Anduin. So I guess girls like him?

I thought he was cool pre-Pandaria...but he's been a dumbass in Jade forest and even worse at the Divine Bell. "Garrosh, the most hated enemy of my entire race who has said he will kill us all is hanging out with 9999 of his guards. I will go attack him solo with WORDS and then stand in the way of him swinging a mace with all his might!"
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
Who...sploosh?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]