mage dmg being nerfed at all?

90 Orc Death Knight
So I was in Uldum enjoying some PvP, when I'm sitting there mounted on the ground. I basically said F it and let this mage wail on me w/o fighting back. In about 15 seconds I recieved the following dmg against me. At the time I had 7760 resil, as well as being in blood presence, but not blood spec. So it wasn't improved blood presence.

Mage's Profile: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kelthuzad/Binlol/simple

Frost Nova..2505
Frozen Orb 20,856 (critical)
Frozen Orb 21,051 (critical)
Forzen Orb 21,040 (critical)
Frost Bomb 80,880 (critical)
Frozen Orb 20,980 (critical)
Ice Lance 50,889 (critical)
Frostbolt 50,530 (critical)
Elemental's Waterbolt 11,249
Ice Lance 45,719 (critical)
Frozen Orb 22,472 (critical)
Frozen Orb 7,665
Frostfire Bolt 65,344 (critical)
Frozen Orb 7,719
Ice Lance 27,281 (30,351 overkill) (critical)

Thoughts?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
what part of that makes you think mages deserve a nerf?

no part of that damage really stands out as "OMG HOW DID HE DO SO MUCH DAMAGE" tbh...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Yes, I would expect someone to kill you in 15 seconds if you don't do anything.

Don't stand in the frozen orb.
Use AMS when he uses Frost Nova. Or interrupt him by gripping. Or silencing.

DKs have a ton of defenses against mage burst. Use them, or die. That's how PVP works.

That mage doesn't have a pvp trinket, btw. Full burst damage. He's dead meat if you so much as look at him funny.
Edited by Terrortician on 2/21/2013 1:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Frost Nova..2505
Frozen Orb 20,856 (critical)
Frozen Orb 21,051 (critical)
Forzen Orb 21,040 (critical)
Frost Bomb 80,880 (critical)
Frozen Orb 20,980 (critical)
Ice Lance 50,889 (critical)
Frostbolt 50,530 (critical)
Elemental's Waterbolt 11,249
Ice Lance 45,719 (critical)
Frozen Orb 22,472 (critical)
Frozen Orb 7,665
Frostfire Bolt 65,344 (critical)
Frozen Orb 7,719
Ice Lance 27,281 (30,351 overkill) (critical)

Thoughts?

You took seven ticks of frozen orb, which puts this sequence at about 7 seconds (Eight seconds with the frost nova, maybe 10 seconds with that last ice lance)

This damage totals 456,169 before over kill.

Something doesn't add up. Have a screenshot?
Edited by Mumrit on 2/21/2013 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
What makes you think you shouldn't die when you let someone dps you over a 10 second period? Get real. You're not entitled to live forever just because you're in a tank spec.
Edited by Ryegeleye on 2/21/2013 1:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
02/21/2013 11:23 AMPosted by Azzassassin
In about 15 seconds I recieved the following dmg against me

Damn he killed you in 15 seconds? What a badass.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
That mage doesn't have a pvp trinket, btw. Full burst damage. He's dead meat if you so much as look at him funny.

Well, duh. He's Human! EMFH.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
02/21/2013 01:03 PMPosted by Terrortician

02/21/2013 01:42 PMPosted by Brewstir

these forum never cease to amaze me.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
well a few things.

1. you cannot just nerf someone based off of numbers. (given that they dont look really stupid like 90k instant casts or something). the game isnt based on just numbers poping, especially pvp. you are expected to fight back. to have mitigation, or strategies to avoid dmg and deal it out.

2. the dmg doesnt look insane anyway. the icelance in the end for a 57k hit kinda looks crazy for something instant cast, but if i remember correctly there are numerous classes and specs that are doing that kind of dmg instant cast anyway.

3. mages are annoying in the sense that they hop around, root you, and keep sending that sizzle fizzle sounding icelance that makes you want to punch them in the face. that annoyance makes the entire situation look worse than it is. just imagine its a goof in a dress hoping about throwing very sharp snowballs at you.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
So, I'm not sure what the point was in this, but if anything, that you died to a pure dps in 15 sec and did nothing to stop it, other than record the damage, in this expac, that really doesn't look all that impressive to me...
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
02/21/2013 01:59 PMPosted by Jkspiritlink

these forum never cease to amaze me.

Yea. Brain fart. Senior moment. I'm tired. Shut up!
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I died in 3 globals in an arena from a frost mage. Didn't expect to take 350k damage in three globals, hence not immediately bubbling the opening deep from stealth. His rogue partner never even unstealthed.

So yeah, their damage is getting buffed to insane levels next patch. If you don't get glad as a mage next season I don't know what to tell you. :(
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I died in 3 globals in an arena from a frost mage. Didn't expect to take 350k damage in three globals, hence not immediately bubbling the opening deep from stealth. His rogue partner never even unstealthed.

So yeah, their damage is getting buffed to insane levels next patch. If you don't get glad as a mage next season I don't know what to tell you. :(

mage with tricks + full cooldowns and you sat a full deep without your partners peeling...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

They nerfed Frost Bomb, and buffed Frostbolt (but it still has the stacking mechanic for the version they're looking at using now).

TLDR: Mages have to hardcast more and one of their instants got nerfed hard. Interrupt them.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
If you're just going to sit there and not fight back, there are a LOT of DPS specs that could kill you that fast or faster. Among them are specs that you'll almost never see in PvP, such as Arcane.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
What class can't kill you in 15 seconds?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I'm pretty sure my BLOOD DK can kill someone in fifteen seconds with them not defending themselves...
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
im so glad this Dk made a post about me, made my day lolol
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
ily boo, you know i do.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]