Giving disc a go

90 Draenei Priest
I thought I'd give it a try for something new... been holy for years.
But, man, do I suck at Disc.

Ive only done one dungeon. My mana was going down way too quick, on fights that I would sit on full for in Holy. I mean, I'm too geared to actually OOM in a dungeon, but I was losing a lot of mana. I thought disc was supposed to have better mana than holy?

I read the stickies and everything. I guess I'll keep practicing over the next few days and hopefully I can do better. And you don't have to tell me - I realize I'm not in the right gear for disc at all.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
That's wired. Disc have better mana regen than Holy at the moment.
-Maybe you didn't use enough Spirit trinket/gear? it helps big time.
-Remember that disc's mana tool stuck with your PW:S once every 12 sec.
- Are you spaming Flash Heal? (I hope not)
-on 5.1, Rapture works with any spirit you have (buff/trinket/gear).
-If you're still having mana problem, Mind Blender will help.
Edited by Pitiens on 2/14/2013 2:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
-Maybe you didn't use enough Spirit trinket/gear? it helps big time.
I had enough mana, coz its LFD. Point was, same gear as holy, but less mana.
-Remember that disc's mana tool stuck with your PW:S once every 12 sec.
I didn't use PWS more often than that. Or that much at all, really.
- Are you spaming Flash Heal? (I hope not)
No.
-on 5.1, Rapture works with any spirit you have (buff/trinket/gear).
Trying to pay attention to spell choice for now, don't have the attention span for gaming rapture yet. Sometimes, too busy with spell choice to notice fight mechanics... ><
-If you're still having mana problem, Mind Blender will help.
<3 mindbuddy

Is atonement better, equal, or worse than, say, gheal, shield/penance etc?
I been using a lot of that, though only when the heal is needed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
02/14/2013 03:28 AMPosted by Dominish
Trying to pay attention to spell choice for now, don't have the attention span for gaming rapture yet.

download an addon called ingela's rapture and it will tell you when rapture is ready (or basically when you should pop a pw shield on tank and for it to be absorbed so you get mana back).

Is atonement better, equal, or worse than, say, gheal, shield/penance etc?
I been using a lot of that, though only when the heal is needed.

all of those spells should be in your "rotation".

atonement heal for when not a lot of damage is going out, and also to build evangelism stacks. pop archangel, pop spirit shell and PoH/GH your heart out depending on the damage going out/that's gonna come out. one of the tricks about disc is to know when damage is going out so you can plan to prevent them with your shields.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Disc can burn up mana quick and it can have good mana in pve if you watch what spells you use. Shield will eat up your mana if you throw it out of multi target but with that being said. You want to make sure you throw your shield on the tank or someone tanking damage everyone 12 seconds. That will return mana to you. Prayer of healing when you have aoe damage over shielding and flash heal spaming multi targets.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
So you have an @$$ ton of haste which I understand is good for holy. Disc is a little different. I stack crit/mastery for DA/PW:S and take a little bit of haste.

Mastery is good for any shields you caste. This is part of the reason you might be struggling. Less potent sheilds = less damage absorbtion, and more healing required.

Crit is my priority stat. It increases your damage which in turn increases your healing (Atonement). Not only that, your crits proc atonement shields which help even more. I can keep any 5 man heroic up with atonement alone because of crit damage = crit healing = absorbs.

I think a good balance between mastery and crit instead of only haste would help.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Priest
Haste is also devalued because of Borrowed Time, you can get a huge haste buff anytime you like, more than the haste amount you can easily get on gear. As long as the shield is useful, you can squeeze some excellent numbers out of PW:S > Penance/Renew > GH/POH > repeat.

It's true that Atonement allows you be casting something at all times, which helps haste, but crit and mastery provide benefits for different and important niches.
Edited by Breathkeeper on 2/14/2013 4:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
noxxic.com
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Honestly? When it comes to LFD, I usually heal mainly with atonement as disc. Keep in mind keeping evangalism at 5 stacks will also reduce the mana cost of the holy damage spells by 30%. The only time I switch from a pure atonement rotation is if I need to make sure the tank is specifically healed with a strong heal (i.e. tank may die if I don't) or if I need to switch to a group heal. I also continually dps with atonement as opposed to waiting until someone needs a heal. Reasons why:

1) The heals are pretty cheap with atonement.

2) I can contribute as much or more than a new dps making a run faster.

3) Maybe I'm a mean person but it amuses me to do more damage than the dps.

Mana as discipline jumps up and down more than holy because rapture can provide a big mana boost. Timing rapture can be funky without an addon. If you use power word: shield on cooldown, it's possible your second shield will break before the rapture cooldown is up. Then you're waiting an extra 10-15 seconds for the weakened soul debuff to fade. If you use it too rarely, then you're missing raptures.

Light healing tends to cost less mana as holy in my opinion, but a full out group healing aoe fest costs a lot of mana as holy without the extra tools like rapture to get mana back.

P.S. I use ingela's rapture addon as well. (FYI - I know when I downloaded it, there was one small thing I had to change in the addon. Don't remember exactly what it was, but the comments on the page for the addon explained what to change.)
Edited by Mieme on 2/14/2013 9:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Doesn't Holy do more damage than disc when light-to-no healing is needed? I spend most of the dungeon as holy in Chastise casting Mind Sear or Smite, using Divine Star for double duty, and since I keep mind buddy on cooldown, I don't mind doing my direct heals with Flash, Flash, GHeal combos and even lightspring.

I noticed what you mean about the mana going down as disc, but coming back from rapture.

Before, I never really understood why people complained about Strength of Soul, until I realized that shield is so weak, only reason to cast it is for mana.

Using Grace a bit better now... I figure I should be healing non-tanks with Atonement, and the tank with direct heals, so that grace doesnt move... does that make sense?

But Penance is better by atonement than when used as a direct heal... should Penance always be used on enemy?

Feel much less mobile as disc... If I want to heal on the move, say, when topping somebody up between pulls, and when casting an absorb doesnt make sense... I have just the weak renew? Where holy can cast better renew and serenity...
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Doesn't Holy do more damage than disc when light-to-no healing is needed? I spend most of the dungeon as holy in Chastise casting Mind Sear or Smite, using Divine Star for double duty, and since I keep mind buddy on cooldown, I don't mind doing my direct heals with Flash, Flash, GHeal combos and even lightspring.

I noticed what you mean about the mana going down as disc, but coming back from rapture.

Before, I never really understood why people complained about Strength of Soul, until I realized that shield is so weak, only reason to cast it is for mana.

Using Grace a bit better now... I figure I should be healing non-tanks with Atonement, and the tank with direct heals, so that grace doesnt move... does that make sense?

But Penance is better by atonement than when used as a direct heal... should Penance always be used on enemy?

Feel much less mobile as disc... If I want to heal on the move, say, when topping somebody up between pulls, and when casting an absorb doesnt make sense... I have just the weak renew? Where holy can cast better renew and serenity...

Personally, I'd keep grace up in a raid, but I don't worry about it in a 5 man. I usually use penance on an enemy in 5mans, but for raids it's dependent on the situation since penance can be a great way to stack grace (and also make sure the healing goes to the tank depending on the situation).

You are correct in the sense that holy can put out more dps using a pure dps rotation, but holy has to stop dpsing to heal. In a 5 man, I can heal the easier bosses and most trash through atonement only which means I don't have to stop doing damage to weave in renews, flash heals, etc. I also tend to hate holy dps because of the cooldown on chakras; you can't easily switch from a damage rotation to a high output of healing back to a damage rotation.

And I will agree with you that healing on the run is a bit more difficult as discipline.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
In LFR Disc, go full Atonement.

Macro your Penance, Holy Fire and Smite to hit the target of your target. Yes, use Penance offensively. Use PW:S every while and then to keep up Rapture. Mindbender on cooldown. Prayer of Mending your tanks.

Other than Atonement you will want to time your Spirit Shell/Prayer of Healing spam for moments of big AoE damage. Use Archangel only when you stop damage to PoH spam. You have to cast SS some time before the damage, not during it.

With this !@#$ty gear I got I stand as top heals in most LFR content, and I do like 35~40k DPS, it's kinda OP and I believe Atonement will be even better in 5.2, so you better learn that Discipline is not a Healer anymore, but a semi DPS spec (that heals better than any other healing spec =P).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]