Serious Mage question

8 Gnome Warlock
Why did Gregg Street and his crew nerf the FIRE mage so hard for no reason using a hotfix?

Essentially mid tier making it undesirable....? I mean 50% of the combustin damage destroyed the fire mage class... 50% is alot for ANY class + also CRIT was reduced again FIRE MAGES are based on crit...

It is common knowledge Warlocks are OP.

This has been easily evident to even the average player since MOP released.

But then they proceeded to buff locks?

So my question is: Why did Blizzard post a Smiling Face picture of Gregg Street saying "MAGES ARE FINE" when OBVIOUSLY mages arent fine....

And you can use your EYES to see the damage they do in RAIDS and PVP?

Thank you
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Whoa...did I just go back in time 2 months?
Reply Quote
I love how I can identify your posts just from the capitalization of RANDOM words that you like to do.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
Why did Gregg Street and his crew nerf the FIRE mage so hard for no reason using a hotfix?

Essentially mid tier making it undesirable....? I mean 50% of the combustin damage destroyed the fire mage class... 50% is alot for ANY class + also CRIT was reduced again FIRE MAGES are based on crit...

So my question is: Why did Blizzard post a Smiling Face picture of Gregg Street saying "MAGES ARE FINE" when OBVIOUSLY mages arent fine....

Thank you

You should spec into Arcane sometime, you'd be surprised to see how well Mages are really doing.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Fire will be making a comeback in 5.2

During PTR testing and item scaling up to 522, I was getting approximately 51% crit, with critical mass factored in. This was also with a significant amount of gear that had zero crit on it. I have no doubt that we'll be approaching 60% crit by the end of this tier, which is pretty ridiculous no matter how you look at it.
Edited by Napwneon on 2/14/2013 6:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
Fire Mage is under powered?

I don't even...

Better watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlB7PoPE0uY
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock

I don't even...

r u stupid???????
Edited by Basedgodbro on 2/14/2013 8:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
02/14/2013 08:23 PMPosted by Basedgodbro
r u stupid???????

ru?
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

I don't even...

Shatter in pvp =/= fire pve damage.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
02/15/2013 12:35 PMPosted by Harlach

People complain about other classes in PvE?
Edited by Haplizard on 2/15/2013 1:09 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage

People complain about other classes in PvE?

You must not read the damage dealing forums much, or any post by kagecamia for that matter. Not to mention the fact that fire was nerfed in pve, due to pve reasons. The nerfs that destroyed fire pve barely touched fire pvp.
Edited by Harlach on 2/15/2013 1:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Mage
02/15/2013 01:16 PMPosted by Harlach
You must not read the damage dealing forums much, or any post by kagecamia for that matter. Not to mention the fact that fire was nerfed in pve, due to pve reasons. The nerfs that destroyed fire pve barely touched fire pvp.

Ah, ok I see. Let me rephrase my original comment then.

Fire was balanced in PvE, QQ moar.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
arcane is for morons i wish they would remove it from the game they keep trying to force all mages in to that spec ( frost forever)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage

Thank you

You should spec into Arcane sometime, you'd be surprised to see how well Mages are really doing.

Until scorch is stripped away from arcane, rune of power has its mana production nerfed, and AB gets its mana cost increased substantially. Arcane is about to become complete garbage.

I know I love sitting around OOM with nothing to cast....
Reply Quote
Fire was OP at high gear levels when it got nerfed. Now arcane is OP. Fire will shine again in 5.2 and then get nerfed in 5.3. It's a game of hopscotch due to fire's scaling.
Reply Quote
97 Human Warrior

Thank you

Well, I think it is very clear that Blizzard buffs and nerfs based largely (but not entirely) on the number of people who play a certain spec. Pre-MoP there were very few people who played locks outisde of PVP scenarios with a resto shaman combo...so they buffed locks to get people to spend their 15 dollars a month leveling a new lock toon up to 90 so they could play the FOTM.

As for fire mages? One can only assume that a TON of people were playing fire spec as compared to frost or arcane so they nerfed fire down to encourage people to play other specs. This is nothing more than a repeat of what has gone on in WoW history...In TBC, every hunter was a BM hunter...behold...BM spec is nerfed to oblivion and people are forced into other specs.

One thing is true about fire mages...they had their moment in the sun in mid to late Cata...top of the chart for months on end....Another thing is true...the spec is not "weak" atm. It suffered when the most talented mages went to arcane...leaving behind lesser talented mages to show off less than spectacular numbers in the current raid tier. But, that being said, fire is still performing better than a lot of other specs. And contrary to mage class belief, there is no sacred tome that dictates that mages must always be the best class in the game. You are where the devs want you right now. Greg Street says you are fine. Deal with it and move on.
Finally, I find it completely disgusting to hear a mage whine, calling another class OP and questioning whether the class should receive buffs. The mage class got away for the entirety of Cata being OP in two of three specs in both PVP and PVE and yet mages still insisted that the class was NOT OP and railed against any argument calling for mage nerfs. The devs told you that your class was being nerfed in MoP during the expac development...I guess they meant it. Let another class enjoy its time in the sun and stop the incessant whining brought on by previously unchecked OPness. The nerf bat caught up with the fire spec...deal with it and STOP complaining about other specs. It is childish and borish.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
02/18/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Oaklander
This is nothing more than a repeat of what has gone on in WoW history...In TBC, every hunter was a BM hunter...behold...BM spec is nerfed to oblivion and people are forced into other specs.

Fury, Aff, Combat and more say hi :)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Are you seriously crying about this, after the day after the spell got buffed WoL was filled with NOTHING but fire mages doing insane amounts of damage compared to other classes' top parsers?

Fire is currently middle of the pack (which is where we are all INTENDED to be). Arcane is currently amazing. What more do you want?
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Same reason they just brutalized Arcane who knows?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]