RP, whats the point?

90 Tauren Paladin
Whats the point of RP? Seems boring as hell. I'll never RP my self but someone tell me what could possibly be the draw to RP (being a WPvP'er it seems absolutely awful.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
It's about obtaining a deeper level of immersion by empathizing with and acting as a character. As far as I'm concerned, there's really not a whole lot more to say about it.

On the other end of the spectrum, I have no idea how anyone finds it fun to hide behind banners in a small room spamming their AOE attack for an hour - which seems to be what many people consider 'WPVP' on this server.

On a slightly off-topic note, you should probably just be glad the RPers are there. It's no coincidence that the best server for WPVP is the largest RPVP server, and all the 'WPVP' guilds certainly didn't come here for !@#$s and giggles.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
02/16/2013 03:10 AMPosted by Freedom
Whats the point of RP? Seems boring as hell. I'll never RP my self but someone tell me what could possibly be the draw to RP (being a WPvP'er it seems absolutely awful.

I am an '06 wow player. I was big on PvE all the way up to Yogg, after that I quit. I came back to WoW when Diablo 3 failed me and started PVP'ing, after MoP hit I came from Illidan to this server. It was around that time I decided to try RP out; before I did, like most other wow player's, I thought RP was a joke and for weird people. Then when I let go and finally decided to try it, I discovered that the nicest people I've ever met since starting this game just so happen to be RP'ers. Most of them are open, honest people who are involved in a VERY supportive community. I find that my enjoyment of the game has increased drastically since starting RP, even though it's not vanilla anymore. If you want to understand it, you should try it out; but don't do it jokingly or half-assed; actually take the time to develop a character and learn some lore, if you need help the community will welcome you with open arms. Get over your embarrassment, (because at the end of the day, we're all playing WoW...) and you might have a good time.(unless you have no imagination)
Edited by Dredmor on 2/16/2013 4:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Well I have had different experiences with RP'rs they tend to be total !@# holes :/ But I really have no desire to RP i'd much rather be punishing an alliance out doing there dailies. and to answer you wolf, I dont do that 20 vs 20 or 40 vs 40 sit in alli town hall and spam aoe(Sounds a lot like a guild I know WSB *cough* *cough*). I go out with 5-7 buddies and we start fights out in where ever be it by a rare or in the heart of alliance dallies just to have fun test our skill in game and make fun of derpy alliance. I still don't see how anyone could be entertained sitting and typing about a fake story with people for hours on end.

02/16/2013 03:27 AMPosted by Wolfsung
On the other end of the spectrum, I have no idea how anyone finds it fun to hide behind banners in a small room spamming their AOE attack for an hour - which seems to be what many people consider 'WPVP' on this server.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
02/16/2013 04:18 AMPosted by Freedom
I still don't see how anyone could be entertained sitting and typing about a fake story with people for hours on end.

Cause WOW is a real story right?
Like I said, try it out, that's not all RP'ers do. Why do you think the vast majority of RP guilds are RP-PVP.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/16/2013 04:18 AMPosted by Freedom
Well I have had different experiences with RP'rs they tend to be total !@# holes :/ But I really have no desire to RP i'd much rather be punishing an alliance out doing there dailies. and to answer you wolf, I dont do that 20 vs 20 or 40 vs 40 sit in alli town hall and spam aoe(Sounds a lot like a guild I know WSB *cough* *cough*). I go out with 5-7 buddies and we start fights out in where ever be it by a rare or in the heart of alliance dallies just to have fun test our skill in game and make fun of derpy alliance. I still don't see how anyone could be entertained sitting and typing about a fake story with people for hours on end.

Then, perhaps, it simply isn't for you.

I enjoy writing, so RP for me is like creating a story that I simply don't have as much control over. If nothing else, it's a good exercise in character development.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Roleplaying relies 100% on communication. Without others, you might as well write a damn fanfic. It's a good break away from the rest of the game, as you're not trying to max out anything or prove how large your 64bit schlong is. Just a means to bring everything you do in WoW full-circle, giving added purpose to your in-game actions.

So you wouldn't just be queuing WSG with friends. It'd be more like your Tauren stepped into the the razed fields of Ashenvale with his friends to help the ongoing war effort. A simple change that makes it a little more fun for certain individuals, as it gives them room to interpret and be as serious or silly about it as they please.

Basically, RPers enjoy seeing the game for its world and atmosphere over its mess of mechanics. There shouldn't be anything strange about that, as we all do it on some level. It's why players typically rank their RP guild as heavy to light, being there are many ways to go about it. You obviously find the act of writing everything out boring, which is understandable.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Roleplaying relies 100% on communication. Without others, you might as well write a damn fanfic. It's a good break away from the rest of the game, as you're not trying to max out anything or prove how large your 64bit schlong is. Just a means to bring everything you do in WoW full-circle, giving added purpose to your in-game actions. So you wouldn't just be queuing WSG with friends. It'd be more like your Tauren stepped into the the razed fields of Ashenvale with his friends to help the ongoing war effort. A simple change that makes it a little more fun for certain individuals, as it gives them room to interpret and be as serious or silly about it as they please.Basically, RPers enjoy seeing the game for its world and atmosphere over its mess of mechanics. There shouldn't be anything strange about that, as we all do it on some level. It's why players typically rank their RP guild as heavy to light, being there are many ways to go about it. You obviously find the act of writing everything out boring, which is understandable.

I can't say it better myself.
Reply Quote
56 Night Elf Rogue
ooc: wheres the flow chart at?
get out of ED, thnx
(Hito posting on my acct jerk)
Edited by Tarassae on 2/16/2013 5:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
56 Night Elf Rogue
02/16/2013 04:26 AMPosted by Dredmor
vast majority of RP guilds are RP-PVP.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Nikka u 2 fun e
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
There are a bunch of other servers that have great w-pvp with no RP. You and 5-6 buddies will have no trouble finding people to gank doing dailies. You kids should transfer. It typically takes less than an hour.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
There are a bunch of other servers that have great w-pvp with no RP. You and 5-6 buddies will have no trouble finding people to gank doing dailies. You guys should transfer.

No, the rage sustains us. And, might i add, I happen to like RP, although I do partake of it casually,
don't interperet one cog in this awesome & small machine be the voicebox of the entire guild.
Edited by Xeloda on 2/16/2013 6:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
02/16/2013 05:01 AMPosted by Tarassae
ooc: wheres the flow chart at?

I have no idea what you are talking about.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
We get it, Merciless hates RP.
Reply Quote
Roleplaying relies 100% on communication. Without others, you might as well write a damn fanfic. It's a good break away from the rest of the game, as you're not trying to max out anything or prove how large your 64bit schlong is. Just a means to bring everything you do in WoW full-circle, giving added purpose to your in-game actions.

So you wouldn't just be queuing WSG with friends. It'd be more like your Tauren stepped into the the razed fields of Ashenvale with his friends to help the ongoing war effort. A simple change that makes it a little more fun for certain individuals, as it gives them room to interpret and be as serious or silly about it as they please.

Basically, RPers enjoy seeing the game for its world and atmosphere over its mess of mechanics. There shouldn't be anything strange about that, as we all do it on some level. It's why players typically rank their RP guild as heavy to light, being there are many ways to go about it. You obviously find the act of writing everything out boring, which is understandable.

Nailed it. I LOVE WPvP but I also love RP, puts a name and face on those you kill or are killed by. I started getting into writing the more I did RP so it actually opens up new doors as well.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
02/16/2013 06:05 AMPosted by Xeloda
There are a bunch of other servers that have great w-pvp with no RP. You and 5-6 buddies will have no trouble finding people to gank doing dailies. You guys should transfer.

No, the rage sustains us. And, might i add, I happen to like RP, although I do partake of it casually,
don't interperet one cog in this awesome & small machine be the voicebox of the entire guild.

The issue is that no one should ever have to explain what "the point of RP is" on a server that is designated for Roleplayers who want to have a PVP server rule set. This is a question that should be asked prior to making a character or transferring to an RP-PVP server.

It is like being sports fan, but not liking baseball, yet you willingly decide to only watch baseball games. You then decide to yell at the fans gathered for the game: "HEY AS A SPORTS FAN I FIND BASEBALL REALLY BORING AND MOST OF THE FANS ARE JERKS. COULD SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY BASEBALL IS INTERESTING?" After someone tells you that if you don't like baseball then leave, you scream "UMADBRO? WE RUSTLED YOUR JIMMIES GOOD! YOUR PAJAMAS MUST BE REALLY WRINKLED!" in reply. Vaporelli isn't in the wrong to say if you don't like RP then leave the server designated for Roleplayers, just like the guy telling you that if you don't like baseball you should leave the baseball game isn't wrong.

Coming here, asking why anyone would ever like RP, then saying you'll never do it yourself isn't a way to endear yourself to Roleplayers to get your answer as to what people find appealing about RP.
Edited by Lifty on 2/16/2013 7:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Couple Reasons some people RP in 2013:

1. You like to embrace your inner child and not take things so serious.

2. You played a variety of games when you were younger like Final Fantasy, Survival Horror(RE,SH), Chrono Cross, Metal Gear, or other old school playstation games.

3. You enjoy Novels, aka you still read books or ebooks.

4. The fact that there is a GIANT WORLD with many character options and a lot of like minded people such as yourself and would like to join them in a personalized story you all made together. Cuz, IRL RP, is wack.

5. Because they enjoy it?

I don't know just some of the reasons I enjoy RP. But when it comes down to it, if there is not any RP/PvP involved I tend not to really care.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

It is like being sports fan, but not liking baseball, yet you willingly decide to only watch baseball games. You then decide to yell at the fans gathered for the game: "HEY AS A SPORTS FAN I FIND BASEBALL REALLY BORING AND MOST OF THE FANS ARE JERKS. COULD SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY BASEBALL IS INTERESTING?" After someone tells you that if you don't like baseball then leave, you scream "UMADBRO? WE RUSTLED YOUR JIMMIES GOOD! YOUR PAJAMAS MUST BE REALLY WRINKLED!" in reply. Vaporelli isn't in the wrong to say if you don't like RP then leave the server designated for Roleplayers, just like the guy telling you that if you don't like baseball you should leave the baseball game isn't wrong.

This was the best paragraph of this whole thread.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Some people aren't smart enough for RP. There are servers for those people. GTFO
Reply Quote
14 Undead Rogue
02/16/2013 03:10 AMPosted by Freedom

Why would you roll on an rp server?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]