Why do all back items have to be capes?

90 Orc Warrior
I got my Honorary Brewmaster Keg the other day after getting some friends to do The Perfect Pour with me and the first thing one my friends says is "It would be awesome if that was a transmog for a back item instead of an on use." He was right too, but it made me think, why is it that we only have capes for back items?

There's a whole range of items out there that show things on your back that aren't weapons or shields, the aforementioned keg, the Jet Pack from the ship fight in ICC, the gas mask from Love is in the air all jump to mind, but you can't really use them as apart of any armor set. And yet the back socket isn't called "Cape" or "cloak" it's "back".

Why haven't back items branched out in all of this time? Why can't we have jet packs, kegs, permanent back mounted-shields, flags, spine-protectors? Capes, frankly, suck, and there are all of two general models: a tiny bib, and the longer thin cape. Where are the huge flowing capes that, and this is the first thing that comes to mind, you would see Spawn or Batman wearing?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Genius!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
It would be nice to get some actual cloaks.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
It'd certainly be nice to have a skull banner, or at least a banner (similar to the old Japanese clan flag) to display whatever you want.
Edited by Jakkhel on 2/16/2013 7:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
I have a sword with eyebrows on my back. Does that count?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
If i had a cloak i would be so happy...now if only i could get a [Legitimate Saber of the Light]
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
02/16/2013 07:15 PMPosted by Lena
I have a sword with eyebrows on my back. Does that count?
No, not really or at all. Everything we can wear on our backs are just towels with designs on them, and as much as I appreciate always having a towel there really should be more selection.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I've seen some pretty cool capes that go over the shoulders of NPCs. A little unfair how nothing like that has been introduced as well. Instead we now have "cloaks" with terrible looking tapering at the bottom that makes them look like long lowbie cloaks which always looked awful compared to the rectangle models.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
02/16/2013 07:36 PMPosted by Redupilous
I've seen some pretty cool capes that go over the shoulders of NPCs. A little unfair how nothing like that has been introduced as well. Instead we now have "cloaks" with terrible looking tapering at the bottom that makes them look like long lowbie cloaks which always looked awful compared to the rectangle models.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel too. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised by this if we were still in WoW Classic, or even BC, but a lot has changed in the game since then, it's about time back items change too.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel too. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised by this if we were still in WoW Classic, or even BC, but a lot has changed in the game since then, it's about time back items change too.

They are in the process of redesigning a lot of the vanilla races. It is about time. The eyes on tauren are like 4 pixels. Maybe they will include better additions to armor. In wrath they added the plated looking leg armor as well as a new boot model. MoP we have seen new belts as well.
Edited by Redupilous on 2/16/2013 8:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Hunter
My hunter in another mmo has a arrowholder (forgot the name) on her back and I can also put bags there if I want too.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
02/16/2013 08:28 PMPosted by Littledeer
My hunter in another mmo has a arrowholder (forgot the name) on her back and I can also put bags there if I want too.
Quiver, yes, I'm sure hunters would love that, and maybe a bandoleer for gun users. Maybe make the various bags and backpacks show up too.
Reply Quote
Some technical problems would arise from weapon clipping. Also, there are quests where you have things like machinery strapped to your back.

Would be nice if Blizzard worked around them, though.

They took a step in the right direction in MoP by making belts 3D models. Now if they would only do the same for chest pieces...
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Monk
i would love to have a keg transmog for back.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Well, there's I-Scream Cryocannon, and probably one or two more I can't recall. But it would be nice to have more variety.
Reply Quote
How about a standard? like the one the Bladesmasters have?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/16/2013 09:06 PMPosted by Killage
How about a standard? like the one the Bladesmasters have?

That would be amazing.

Make it so you can place a tabard on it so it changes to match the faction on the tabard. Even if it's a guild tabard. Or maybe just have it match the Tabard currently equipped. If there is no tabard equipped, it defaults to the faction Horde/Alliance.
Edited by Anira on 2/16/2013 9:10 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/16/2013 07:10 PMPosted by Vhera
Where are the huge flowing capes that, and this is the first thing that comes to mind, you would see Spawn or Batman wearing?

I would pay cash in the WoW store for a Spawn-esque cape.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Id like to see my backpack. To feel like a real adventurer.
Edited by Cobble on 2/16/2013 9:11 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]