Do I Exist?

100 Troll Shaman
No, Seriously, were trolls only taught shamanism through the orcs?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Not at all. Trolls and orcs got along a lot together because they shared shamanism.
Reply Quote
Trolls had Shadow hunters(Shaman/Hunter They use ranged weapons and summon totems.), which was really close to shamanism.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter
Trolls had Shadow Hunters and Witch Doctors, which are a branch of Shamanism.

The Orcs, Trolls, and Tauren each had a different take on communing with the Ancestors and with the Elemental Spirits. When they joined in the Horde, they shared their knowledge, and now we have the Shaman as a fusion of all three cultures.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
02/19/2013 04:34 PMPosted by Mashedorbake
Not at all. Trolls and orcs got along a lot together because they shared shamanism.
Reply Quote
Trolls were communicating with spirits basically forever.

The specific "brand" of Shamanism they use currently though comes from Thrall.

The thing about the Darkspear tribe is that they really took to Thrall's spiritual rejuvenation of the Orcs. They considered it an ideal way for the tribe to move forward after Thrall set an example by saving them.

Which is why I think their story right now is so damn cool. The Orcs have gone to hell because of the Warsong, and it's the Trolls turning around and, ironically, being the ones to stay true.

But as far as any existential crisis is concerned, no, I don't think you exist. You're all just figments of my egotistically-driven imagination.
Edited by Draile on 2/19/2013 5:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
The WoW Shaman class is pretty much a mixture of the Shaman, Witch Doctor, and Spirit Walker in Warcraft 3 (the Spirit Walker less so).

Add in some flavor from the Far Seer and maybe a little of the Shadow Hunter to the pot (let's face it Shadow Hunter has more in common with the Shaman class than the Hunter class).
Edited by Seiryu on 2/19/2013 6:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Monk
Orc shamans confuse me. Ok, so they kill the draenei on Draenor and the ancestors and elements abandon them. They head to Azeroth to slaughter humans, at some point they regain connection to the ancestors and the elements on Azeroth. Are Azeroth's elements less fickle or something?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
yeah its a conundrum. It's partially explained by the idea that the most powerful shamans are neutral, and the warmongers are probably all warriors. The ordinary shamans are probably serving the Horde out of a sense of honor and loyalty.

The Dark shamans might be using sorcery.
Reply Quote
02/19/2013 06:41 PMPosted by Lena
Orc shamans confuse me. Ok, so they kill the draenei on Draenor and the ancestors and elements abandon them. They head to Azeroth to slaughter humans, at some point they regain connection to the ancestors and the elements on Azeroth. Are Azeroth's elements less fickle or something?

The elements of Azeroth refused to listen to any Orcish calls for many years until Drek'thar's persistence paid off.

Drek'thar then took on Thrall as an apprentice, and the elements accepted him.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
You think you have problems?
What about me?
I don't have a clue as to why I'm a shaman.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
What about me?

I like to think goblin shaman makes deals with the elements.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Hunter
Trolls had Shadow Hunters and Witch Doctors, which are a branch of Shamanism.

The Orcs, Trolls, and Tauren each had a different take on communing with the Ancestors and with the Elemental Spirits. When they joined in the Horde, they shared their knowledge, and now we have the Shaman as a fusion of all three cultures.

And then there's the Goblins.

"NOOOOOO! You tell Goldmine he's a dead goblin! Our contract is over!" - Magmatooth, ex-shaman totem.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight

I don't believe the ancestors ever started communication again.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Hunter

Thrall was the one to revive Shamanism in the Orcs. He was the first real Shaman after the Demon Blood incident. Since then, Shamanism in the Orcs was reborn and the elements gave them power and the ancestors communed with them.

And later on I'm sure the spirits respect them turning to the Tauren and Trolls to expand their Shamanistic knowledge.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
What about me?

I like to think goblin shaman makes deals with the elements.

Yeah I got that much. I'm more interested how they got in touch with the elements in the first place.
Was it a Goblin who genuinely cared about the elements and they spoke to him?
Did they learn it from they Troll slaves?
I've looked all over and can't find any concrete answer.
Shame, I really like Goblins and want them to have more of a history.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman

It probably really took off like wildfire (pun intended) as soon as an enterprising goblin realized that the elements (just like all people) want things (even if the things they want were different than what most people want), and were willing to give things in exchange for the things they wanted. Bam, instant way to profit, tapping into a new market!

The original first event for goblin shamanism has likely been lost to history, just like the first example of bartering between two people has been lost to history.
Reply Quote
Yeah I got that much. I'm more interested how they got in touch with the elements in the first place.
I've looked all over and can't find any concrete answer.
Shame, I really like Goblins and want them to have more of a history.

People seem to be under the impression that just because Goblins put their faith in commerce that they are, therefore, spiritually hollow and corrupt.

But that doesn't actually make any sense. Goblins are just like normal people. They just come from a thrifty culture.
Reply Quote
58 Undead Death Knight
02/20/2013 08:02 AMPosted by Draile
Goblins are just like normal people.

Next you'll be telling me orcs are people too.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid

The elemental spirits which shaman communicate with are the same everywhere. The spirit of water on Draenor is the same as the spirit of water on Azeroth. It is something like a "universal essence".

After abandoning the orcs on Draenor, the elemental spirits started to reconnect with the orcs again on Azeroth starting with Thrall.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]