RP moments of despise and praise

22 Blood Elf Paladin
Posted by HammerlóckThen you'd hate official lore.http://www.wowpedia.org/Med%27anhttp://www.wowpedia.org/Lantresor_of_the_Bladehttp://www.wowpedia.org/GaronaHe meant they were trying too hard to be special....I think. It's pretty tricky to RP those things. Plus Garona's a special case. She was originally just half Human - half Orc until.....well......Me'dan....I think you shouldn't talk for other people unless you are specifically speaking on their request.02/21/2013 08:52 PMPosted by KhairnThen you'd hate official lore.http://www.wowpedia.org/Med%27anhttp://www.wowpedia.org/Lantresor_of_the_Bladehttp://www.wowpedia.org/GaronaJust because 1 exists in lore does not mean we can make them. There is only one case of this existing not to mention half-breeds tend to be treated as outcasts by the society for their differences.I linked multiple cases.And your keyword there is "tend".

Once saw someone overquote...made my eyes water.
Reply Quote
22 Blood Elf Paladin
Makes my blood elf blood boil when overpowering characters kill u and wait next to your carcass to kill u again.

Once saw two lvl 40s fighting 'naked'.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
I hate it when people start talking about lore people/events they shouldn't know about. That was something that really bugged me when Pandaria came out. Everyone and their mother was like "Oh man! Have you been to Pandaria?! It's so pretty! But there's all that sha around... And those Mogu. What meanies for enslaving the pandarens forever ago!" People don't learn the entire history of a brand new continent overnight, and traveling there isn't as simple as "oh my boat ran into it." It's pretty far out of the way.

Mindi didn't even know the place existed for the longest time. Just rumors, and then eventually the pandaren showing up. But even then she only knew of its existence, not its history, enemies, notable figures, etc. I think people forget that our characters live in a world where news is only spread through word of mouth and the occasional crier who shouts out news that's only relevant to that specific crowd. Even then, the information is usually broken in some way, since each person will butcher it a little bit along the way. Everyone tells a story differently.

Mmm... I honestly got around this by claiming Marri was acting as an agent/initial explorer for the Kirin Tor, with the justifications that her post as a professor of arcane lore usually involves her poring over tons of historical documents and such, and that the Kirin Tor was somewhat undermanned after the disaster in Theramore. Even then, it still took her time to get caught up on it all (due to needing help with translating Pandaren and Mogu writings), and even then she fully admits there are still some gaps in her knowledge that we haven't gotten definitive answers on in reality (I.E. the origins of the August Celestials and Cloud Serpents).
Reply Quote
52 Goblin Shaman
Probably has been already mentioned, but "feral" druids.

Okay, look, if you want to role-play as a "feral" druid or a druid who's more in-touch with his "inner beast", that's perfectly fine (by me, anyway), but "feral" does not mean "cute and cuddly". If I see one more "feral" druid rubbing up against people and acting like a house cat, I'll fry them with a well-placed bolt of lightning, I swear.

Also, I see way too many "fresh"-looking forsaken. I don't doubt that there exist a few fresh corpses who haven't had much time to decay, but it does get tiring seeing yet another perfectly preserved forsaken.

Death knights in Cathedral Square. That is all.

Oh, and "crime-based" guilds that act all butthurt OOC when you actually try and stop them or bust them or whatever. Oh, I am so sorry for intervening when you declare out loud in public about how you plan to rob something or someone. It's gotten to the point where I just ignore them entirely. In-fact, I can't stand most "evil" or "shady" characters because a lot of role-players don't seem to understand what "subtelty" is and are usually drama-bombs OOC when you try and tell them both IC and OOC about how hey can't just summon demons and rain fire in public.

I'll try and come up with some more positive examples of role-play that I do admire later when I can think of any real noteworthy examples.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
People who in their MRPs put "You would notice..." "You would think.."

Sigh, no, Lurissa wouldn't.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
non-dwarves owning homes in Ironforge. Just irks me, especially when it's elves. Sure they are part of the alliance but dwarves are a tad xenophobic and things like homes and property would probably be kept within clans /families and if a home owner died or something happened to 'em the house and it's contents would probably be given to the closest family member or clan member.

And if none are available, than a different worthy clan.
Reply Quote
02/27/2013 04:14 PMPosted by Cheatsy
Also, I see way too many "fresh"-looking forsaken. I don't doubt that there exist a few fresh corpses who haven't had much time to decay, but it does get tiring seeing yet another perfectly preserved forsaken.

This drives me nuts. Khetep has lost his left arm TWICE. His replacement is noticeably nicer than the rest of his rotting body.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
02/21/2013 09:27 AMPosted by Grimrune
What are some things when you see someone RPing make your skin crawl, and moments that make you give a nod of appeasement.

Worst skin crawling moment was a half orc, half dragon, staggering around calling "Mommy, Mommy!" to a circling dragon in Blackrock.

For praise (far more common) anything where the RPer is subtle enough to let the listener/observers connect the dots. Where things are implicit rather than explicit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
I had a character who'd damaged her eyes, so she had to wear a blindfold for a little while. This guy I knew decided to bring in a 'doctor' character of his (that was a Forsaken who somehow had gotten into human territory) to 'fix' them for her. He was all surprised when my girl was NOT comfortable being even near an undead, let alone let him fix her eyes.

Then, after that, he came to me with a 'magic' blindfold that had been enchanted with runic/DK magic to heighten her other senses such as hearing and whatnot. I had to fake a bad reaction to the magic in order to get out of wearing it

It sucks. It's like, c'mon! If my character is mute, don't you think that maybe it's because I WANT to RP a mute character? Or maybe I WANT my character's relative to go missing? Maybe I WANT my character to lose his powerful trinket and never get it back!

I RPed a singing pandaren priestess who lost her voice due to grief. First RP she had, someone was able to fix her muteness.

My RP partner had a character leave permanently. Another player RPed that he found the character who left and brought back a trinket from said character. Irritated my partner and myself.

RPers, if you see another player with a condition or problem, it would be best if you ASK before attempting to fix the problem. Maybe the RPer WANTS to RP a blind character with all the benefits and drawbacks of RPing such a character! Chances are, there is a REASON the player made a character disappear!
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Rogue
non-dwarves owning homes in Ironforge. Just irks me, especially when it's elves. Sure they are part of the alliance but dwarves are a tad xenophobic and things like homes and property would probably be kept within clans /families and if a home owner died or something happened to 'em the house and it's contents would probably be given to the closest family member or clan member.

I may or may not be guilty of that but I have a question: does this apply to gnomes?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

I may or may not be guilty of that but I have a question: does this apply to gnomes?

maybe not pre-cata but I do believe most of the gnomes live din tinkertown and even then after cata most up and left to new tinkertown.

here's hoping I got the names right.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
02/28/2013 10:49 PMPosted by Drewan
maybe not pre-cata but I do believe most of the gnomes live din tinkertown and even then after cata most up and left to new tinkertown.

New Tinkertown is just a handful of tents and a couple buildings recovered from the leper gnomes.

The vast majority of Gnomes probably still live in Ironforge.
Reply Quote
10 Worgen Druid
I pretty much just hate when people are clearly breaking lore, god-moding, or doing something that is clearly not in their spellbook, talents, or ablities stated to be had in lore. But I also hate it when some elitist walks into a sceane nobody invited him or her into and starts getting all pissy when he or she dosn't get their way and tries to call you out as a bad rper because of it. Seruisly people nobody invited you and you are just being a selfish douche that ruins every ones fun. If you want to step into a scean fine, but please for the love of god don't cry if it dosn't turn out the way you wanted to.
Edited by Walegar on 3/1/2013 1:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
03/01/2013 01:38 PMPosted by Walegar
I pretty much just hate when people are clearly breaking lore, god-moding, or doing something that is clearly not in their spellbook, talents, or ablities stated to be had in lore. But I also hate it when some elitist walks into a sceane nobody invited him or her into and starts getting all pissy when he or she dosn't get their way and tries to call you out as a bad rper because of it. Seruisly people nobody invited you and you are just being a selfish douche that ruins every ones fun. If you want to step into a scean fine, but please for the love of god don't cry if it dosn't turn out the way you wanted to.

I have taken creative initiative in story writing, for plot purposes, that is stuff not in spellbooks, but are just beyond what folks can do in game.

In the paladin's case, I might go beyond the spellbook when it comes to making simple light-based constructs (for defensive purposes).

It sucks. It's like, c'mon! If my character is mute, don't you think that maybe it's because I WANT to RP a mute character? Or maybe I WANT my character's relative to go missing? Maybe I WANT my character to lose his powerful trinket and never get it back!

I RPed a singing pandaren priestess who lost her voice due to grief. First RP she had, someone was able to fix her muteness.

My RP partner had a character leave permanently. Another player RPed that he found the character who left and brought back a trinket from said character. Irritated my partner and myself.

RPers, if you see another player with a condition or problem, it would be best if you ASK before attempting to fix the problem. Maybe the RPer WANTS to RP a blind character with all the benefits and drawbacks of RPing such a character! Chances are, there is a REASON the player made a character disappear!

Fixing things, especially a major character hook/flaw, without consent is a form of power gaming. Insertion and removal of such hooks should happen over time and be meaningful.

My non-speaking hunter is pretty much unfixable. His "muteness" is based on a developmental disorder (a form of autism) with delayed speech and ptsd (from the razing of Silvermoon) triggered regression. He doesn't have internal dialogue so reading his thoughts will not do any good. It'd be like turning on a TV to a channel with no signal and seeing static.
Edited by Zandrae on 3/1/2013 4:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/28/2013 08:53 PMPosted by Kailiang

Yeees! If I wanted a problem fixed, I'd either find a way to do it myself or say so. I also hate it when people metagame based off of assumptions made from the in game "stats" of your character.

Like my worgen, for example. Yes, she was worgen, but she was ALWAYS in human form, and I even put "Gilnean" as her race in MRP, so as far as anyone's concerned, that's all she is. A girl with a strong gilnean accent. But what do they do? Claim to "smell the beast" on her, meaning she's obviously a worgen. She's Gilnean! Of course she's going to smell of worgen! I'm not sure how much time the whole starter area took, but I'm guessing it took at least a few weeks for nearly the entire population to become cursed, and then even more time to come up with a 'cure'. I'm just going to assume everyone there eventually smelled of "the beast," no matter what race they were.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
03/01/2013 05:47 PMPosted by Mindiina

Yeees! If I wanted a problem fixed, I'd either find a way to do it myself or say so. I also hate it when people metagame based off of assumptions made from the in game "stats" of your character.

Like my worgen, for example. Yes, she was worgen, but she was ALWAYS in human form, and I even put "Gilnean" as her race in MRP, so as far as anyone's concerned, that's all she is. A girl with a strong gilnean accent. But what do they do? Claim to "smell the beast" on her, meaning she's obviously a worgen. She's Gilnean! Of course she's going to smell of worgen! I'm not sure how much time the whole starter area took, but I'm guessing it took at least a few weeks for nearly the entire population to become cursed, and then even more time to come up with a 'cure'. I'm just going to assume everyone there eventually smelled of "the beast," no matter what race they were.

I've had that happen on my worgen too a few times, except my worgen isn't Gilnean. He was a scout from Stormwind that was part of a group investigating the breaking of the gate who's group was ambushed. He was the only survivor. And yet some people try to insist to me there are no other worgen except Gilneas ones despite listing Pyrewood Village pre-cata, the Hillsbrad survivors post-cata, and the ones in Duskwood pre and post cata. I've even had people who have given him derogatory comments ICly without justification knowing he is one in human form or "Nameplate, duh!".
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I love flaws in RP. Like RP'd flaws. Someone tripping, overweight characters, injuries, someone accusing someone of attempted murder (Happened to my friend), someone who starts a fight but obviously is no good at it... stuff like that is great. No one likes the mary sue "my character is perfect" situation. I think a good, mature RP'er will take those risks to create enjoyable RP.
Edited by Deminique on 3/7/2013 8:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
55 Undead Warrior
I like RP'ing underdogs, commoners, or people who are just not good at what they are supposed to be good at. I think this mostly comes from me being a DM for my friends tabletop RPGs, while they are are RPing their min-maxed out characters that act all macho, I got well practiced at all the other minor characters and thugs.

With that my first character I RP'd was a elderly human beggar, he was the 100% complete opposite of a sue, he wasn't very confident and weak for a man, pretty sure a Stormwind Rat could have 1 shotted him. I got a lot of compliments on my RP of him, I guess they enjoyed seeing someone RP something most people would not want to.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
What are some things when you see someone RPing make your skin crawl, and moments that make you give a nod of appeasement.

"Oh look scarlet guild time to drop character completely and behave in an irratinoally angry, hostile, provocative manner, suddenly start using real world slang and curse words that this toon would probably never do in any other situation and go rage on them and deliberately try to provoke a violent response out of them and only escalate to never-before-seen levels of rage and desperation when they don't take the bait and maybe even draw my weapon and attack."

If your character has pattern of rash, brazen hostility toward people he or she cannot stand, that's fine, and these interactions will flow organically and feel natural. If your quiet librarian who wouldn't hurt a fly suddenly turns into a rabid beast because we're standing there doing nothing and you're going to desperate extremes to provoke a violent reaction from us so you can say "HA I TOLD YOU SCARLETS ARE BAD" then please go bother somebody else. I wouldn't RP this character if I didn't enjoy conflict in RP and confronting other RPers with real evils like racism, zealotry, or xenophobia, but I'm not a fan of RP that is clearly out of character, forced, and the product of OOC shenanigans.

I love it when characters are real and believable. I know that a lot of people seem to want to RP World of Dragonball Z but I don't. I love to see RPers just take things as they come in a realistic, organic manner rather than basing it all on ilvl, character level, or dragging other game mechanics into RP. I love seeing RPers who can take a loss in stride, even to that level 20 in quest greens because that lowbie is still a good RPer. I love it when people can shut up and RP and just let things happen naturally.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
02/27/2013 11:50 PMPosted by Khetep

This drives me nuts. Khetep has lost his left arm TWICE. His replacement is noticeably nicer than the rest of his rotting body.

The same can be said for death knights. Yes, we are better put together - we don't have exposed bones and missing parts unless we were like that when we died - but we are not immune to gradual rot and certainly will not cause -anyone- to feel anything close to pure physical attraction save those actually aroused by dead bodies.

Keep in mind, even Sylvanas repulses every living person in the room when they look at her, lorewise. Your death knight is probably not prettier than Sylvanas.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]