How much is good?

90 Draenei Paladin
Not a complicated question: How much DPS, should a ilvl 470 Ret Paly be doing... to know he is doing good?

As is i am doing sustained 30,100 DPS on the raid boss dummy in SW. With out doing any CD's trinkets/skill, no food, or buffs... am i at par, or low?
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Well I looked at your gear i dont raid much anymore but to tell you are below hit cap and exp. cap you need these both to be at 7.5 and your numbers will go up. Also make sure you are standing behind the boss at all times to pretty much maximize your damage outside of cds.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
02/22/2013 09:18 AMPosted by Andryana
As is i am doing sustained 30,100 DPS on the raid boss dummy in SW. With out doing any CD's trinkets/skill, no food, or buffs... am i at par, or low?

DPS is meaningless without all raid buffs/debuffs, and further inaccurate if you don't even use all the abilities and gear you have.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
Not a complicated question: How much DPS, should a ilvl 470 Ret Paly be doing... to know he is doing good?

...30,100 DPS...

More than that. You're not hit capped (even factoring in racial) or expertise capped, you're gemming is wacky and uncoordinated, and you haven't reforged a single piece of gear.

Hit and expertise are key, and each need to be at 7.5% - 6.5% if you have the benefit of a racial, which you do for hit; this prevents missing your target (harmful to your damage/DPS) and being dodged (also harmful to your damage/DPS); parries won't be pushed off the combat table until 15%, but those only occur from in front of the boss and should not often affect you as Ret.

Next most important stat is haste, now, where it was mastery in Cataclysm. Once you get your hit and expertise where they need to be through reforging, put everything else into haste where possible. Haste shortens your RCDs (rotational cooldowns) and your GCDs (global cooldowns), which means more Holy Power, faster, for more frequent Templar's Verdicts and more damage. It also have the fringe benefit of decreasing the swing timer, which means more frequent auto-attacks and, in theory, more Art of War procs.

For gemming, though, you should really only gem with a haste-bias at higher gear levels, usually around 480, but the actual breakpoint is highly dependent on your L75 talent and your weapon. For now, stick with a strength-bias on gemming - that is, Fierce (strength/haste) orange gems for yellow sockets, Bold (strength) reds for red sockets, and Etched (strength/hit) purples in blue sockets; for later reference, the haste-bias is for Quick (haste) yellows in yellow sockets, Fierce oranges in red sockets, and Lightning (haste/hit) greens in blue sockets. Though, with your JC Serpent's Eyes, always use the Bold.

Beyond the gear issues out-lined above, any other problems may well be rotational/burst related. I would highly recommend reading the Ret PvE sticky for that information.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

...30,100 DPS...

More than that. You're not hit capped (even factoring in racial) or expertise capped, you're gemming is wacky and uncoordinated, and you haven't reforged a single piece of gear.

Hit and expertise are key, and each need to be at 7.5% - 6.5% if you have the benefit of a racial, which you do for hit; this prevents missing your target (harmful to your damage/DPS) and being dodged (also harmful to your damage/DPS); parries won't be pushed off the combat table until 15%, but those only occur from in front of the boss and should not often affect you as Ret.

Next most important stat is haste, now, where it was mastery in Cataclysm. Once you get your hit and expertise where they need to be through reforging, put everything else into haste where possible. Haste shortens your RCDs (rotational cooldowns) and your GCDs (global cooldowns), which means more Holy Power, faster, for more frequent Templar's Verdicts and more damage. It also have the fringe benefit of decreasing the swing timer, which means more frequent auto-attacks and, in theory, more Art of War procs.

For gemming, though, you should really only gem with a haste-bias at higher gear levels, usually around 480, but the actual breakpoint is highly dependent on your L75 talent and your weapon. For now, stick with a strength-bias on gemming - that is, Fierce (strength/haste) orange gems for yellow sockets, Bold (strength) reds for red sockets, and Etched (strength/hit) purples in blue sockets; for later reference, the haste-bias is for Quick (haste) yellows in yellow sockets, Fierce oranges in red sockets, and Lightning (haste/hit) greens in blue sockets. Though, with your JC Serpent's Eyes, always use the Bold.

Beyond the gear issues out-lined above, any other problems may well be rotational/burst related. I would highly recommend reading the Ret PvE sticky for that information.

You are my hero, this info i worth it me looking like a fool to ask my question... Thank you.
All honesty, am a print what you wrote and apply the changes, when i get home...
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I would highly recommend reading the Ret PvE sticky for that information.
Edited by Vlada on 2/22/2013 12:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
ok i worked on it all weekend, i think that things are going in the right direction.. AND i forgot i logged in the wrong spec LOL
Edited by Andryana on 2/25/2013 9:57 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]