Lack experience and need advice on dungeons

80 Gnome Warrior
Hi guys. I want to level another toon to 90 and thought about trying dungeon tank leveling for the first time as I've never done that before. My issue is that it has been a long time since I have tanked. My 3 options are this 80 Warrior, an 85 DK and an 87 Pally. I have MT'd Kara during BC on the Pally as well as some early WotLK dungeons, and MT'd Heroics and OT'd Trial of the Crusader in WotLK on my DK. I have never tanked at all on my Warrior.

I was originally going to start with my DK because I've always loved my DK, but when I was leveling my only 90 (Lock), I only did a couple of instances. I had a similar experience in Cata where the groups got frustrated with me because I hadn't done these bosses dozens of times already. Most times it was fine and people will help out, but there are always those that get impatient and demand faster pulls and no waiting.

So if I was to avoid MoP dungeons for a while, I thought of my Warrior. I still lacked experience in Cata dungeons (Honestly, I haven't seriously played WoW since WotLK) so am a little apprehensive that I would encounter the same issue.

In one way I'm not worried. Tank spots pop instantly so if I have a bad experience with a douche or several in a group, I can soon get into another instance. Ideally, I would get friends to help out, but most of them no longer play or are in a much different time zone to me which makes it impossible. That is why I haven't seriously played since WotLK.

I'm not asking what class to do. I've enjoyed both Pally and DK and know how to use Elitist Jerks and here to figure it out. My question is should I just jump in and go trial by fire in MoP or should I relearn the tanking ropes by starting with my Warrior at 80?

Thanks for any assistance!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Just /ignore those gogogo types and get right into the battle :)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
I would start with the toon that is the lowest level to get the most practice in. If you have BOA gear you may even consider starting from scratch because so many of the abilities you are familiar with have changed.

Starting from scratch sounds more imposing than it really is. With BOA gear and the adjustments Blizz did to how much XP leveling requires it doesn't take long at all.

Make sure you have some thick skin though. LFD has gotten pretty rough on tanks. If you make a mistake learn from it and move on. DO NOT let these trolls and griefers get to you.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
Haters are gonna hate.
Learn at your own pace, and just ignore the DBs if they want to QQ and /ragequit.
I'd like to heal for you, but other than Blackie, here, I've got an 86 resto shammie.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
if you are still not familiar with the new tanking mechanics and rotations I'd recommend doing 3 things:

1- quest in tank spec. It might sound silly but as a tank you need muscle memory. You don't have time to "rationally think", you have split seconds to react, so you need to have those reflexes to know exactly where each ability is and let your fingers do the rest.

2- one thing that people never think about is: queue for scenarios in tank spec. While they are only available at 90, they don't require a tank, so you can practice there as a "safe enviroment". Mobs don't do much dmg, you don't have to do it perfectly and most people will actually find it better if someone is soaking the dmg and they can dps freely.

It's quite helpfull so you can get used at protecting your party members, holding aggro, using your defensive tools etc. If you lose threat from a mob, he'll simply do some dmg to the guy .. but since he didn't even expect you to hold aggro to begin with, he wont curse the 313th generation of your family.

Think of it as a tutorial stage of a game, where your mistakes wont be nearly as deadly as they would be in a 5man instance.

3- if you are really not feeling confident about tanking an instance .. queue as dps first, and check what the tank is doing, how each pack of trash works, if they have any particular deadly mechanic etc etc. If you have the general idea of what they do, you'll have a much easier time when it's you tanking.
Edited by Leeflow on 2/25/2013 9:33 AM PST
Reply Quote
Take the time to read up on a tanking guide for whichever class you do choose, mechanics since wrath have changed quite a bit.

As far as dungeons.... I'd go MoP if I was just going to jump in. The dungeons are more forgiving and there aren't many... If any mechanics that will kill you outright for messing it up. You could even try this monkey run craze that's been going around... Just farming the trash in StormStout Brewery before the first boss for a run or two. It'll let you practice tanking on some light hitting mobs so you don't have to worry about getting anyone killed
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior

2- one thing that people never think about is: queue for scenarios in tank spec. While they are only available at 90, they don't require a tank, so you can practice there as a "safe enviroment". Mobs don't do much dmg, you don't have to do it perfectly and most people will actually find it better if someone is soaking the dmg and they can dps freely.

It's quite helpfull so you can get used at protecting your party members, holding aggro, using your defensive tools etc. If you lose threat from a mob, he'll simply do some dmg to the guy .. but since he didn't even expect you to hold aggro to begin with, he wont curse the 313th generation of your family.

Think of it as a tutorial stage of a game, where your mistakes wont be nearly as deadly as they would be in a 5man instance.

Holy God, this. Not to mention that running the Arena one once you hit 90 guarantees a nice 450 starter blue weapon. Plus satchel bonuses. This is a vastly underrated tool for people wanting to learn a new spec at 90, as healing or tanking training dummies only gets you so far.

I may or may not be referring to pugs as 'training dummies'.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Leeflow had some great ideas, about 3 posts up.

Also, going in as you DPS and watching what the tank you get does (or having a friend come along with you on vent/mumble and explain what he's doing as he tanks) will tell you a lot.

Like- the dogs in MSP stun and it's real annoying, so I target them first. The shanking guys in there also suck, but you can step out of melee while they're casting and then back in when it's over.

Honestly getting a group of 3 or 4 friends and just going in and trying stuff is the most fun, and probably the easiest to help with learning.
Reply Quote
80 Gnome Warrior
02/25/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Krathlis
Reading threads like the OPs and some nice helpful replies kind of helps reduce my fear of being terrible.

Definitely not alone in that!

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. Scenarios are a good idea and I'll certainly do those when I have a toon with a tank spec at 90. Until then I'll see if I can nab some friends to fill some slots to reduce the amount of possible QQ while I learn.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/25/2013 10:00 AMPosted by Krathlis
I was gonna try out a scenario or two first as prot or is that not a good idea?

it's a very good idea to run them so you can get more used with the mechanics. As I explained, they work like a safe area to be a tank.

And yeah, we are very friendly with people coming here with genuine issues. If we can help, we'll do.

But people bringing stupidity and dismissing the help offered .. oh we set those on fire =D

about your prot pally question, I have no idea. Plethora and some other paladin regulars will have a better answear ... I'm only entitled to answear monk (and dks to some extent) questions =(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
What im seeing in my research is that Paladins love haste. Having duplicate items drop in LFR, would i benefit from keeping a few of them that are haste/exp budgeted over something more suited for a tank?

As an example i have 2 of the same chests im currently wearing now, how awful of a player would i be to keep the spare as a tanking chest?

Not at all, you'd be a good and well-prepared tank. You have to play around with your own gear(reforging and threat stat settings, etc), but pretty much any piece of plate gear without crit or int on it is a good tank piece.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
As has been said before, read up on the tanking stickies in the class forums. That will give you a general idea of what each tanking spec requires (DK self heals, druid dodges, etc.). Honestly all the tanks right now seem to be in a good place as far as tanking content. It will come down to which of the classes you like tanking on the most.

And as with anything, people are going to be jerks no matter what. You aren't going to learn to tank like a pro if you don't make mistakes. Have fun with it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]