The hit/exp question for fellow tanks.

90 Undead Priest
So on my warrior tank i've been told ultimately to try and reach somewhere around 22% parry chance and up too half that in dodge if possible.

But i'm still a little Fuzzy on exactly what i need in terms of Hit and Expertise. Now im almost close to capping Hit do I need to do the same for expertise as well? or leave exp alone if im hit capped and focus back on Parry/dodge?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/25/2013 09:14 AMPosted by Gidius
So on my warrior tank i've been told ultimately to try and reach somewhere around 22% parry chance and up too half that in dodge if possible.

This is inaccurate. There's no threshold of avoidance you should be aiming for specifically.

You want to cap hit and get a reasonable amount of additional expertise. Accuracy is your best choice for reliable active mitigation, and your best source of rage for shield barrier for those pesky non-melee bosses.

Once you have enough accuracy to consistently use your active mitigation abilities, you have a choice between hard-capping accuracy, or stacking more mastery or avoidance. They're close enough to equal in value at this point that an optimal ranking would change from fight to fight. Choose what suits you.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Hit to 7.5%=expertise(7.5% minimum)>mastery=stamina>parry>=dodge
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/25/2013 09:47 AMPosted by Sokane

Aside from being wrong, you're also not being helpful.

1) There's no point stopping at 7.5 expertise. It doesn't soft-cap anymore. Its value is constant from 0% all the way to 15%. The only reason to move on from expertise is if you're comfortable with your active mitigation.

2) Putting stamina in a ranking of mitigation stats is dumb. Ranking it in the middle of them is dumber. EH is a separate category from damage mitigation.

3) Ranking mastery permanently above parry is wrong. Walk into MSV, and the first boss you face will favor avoidance above mastery, because the melee damage is pitiful but the rage from Revenge procs is great for more Shield Barrier.

4) The OP wanted things explained to him. Even if your stat ranking was actually correct, the OP wouldn't understand his stats any better after reading it.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
02/25/2013 10:03 AMPosted by Nerfheals

1) There's no point stopping at 7.5 expertise. It doesn't soft-cap anymore. Its value is constant from 0% all the way to 15%. The only reason to move on from expertise is if you're comfortable with your active mitigation.

Actually, it does have some merit on tank swap fights. When you're not tanking, if you're not fully exp capped, get behind the boss and do a little more DPS. As I understand it, full cap exp isn't vital for Warriors, so if its comfortable to, stopping at 7.5% has more value for you than going further or stopping lower.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
02/25/2013 10:19 AMPosted by Darpalta

Actually, it does have some merit on tank swap fights. When you're not tanking, if you're not fully exp capped, get behind the boss and do a little more DPS. As I understand it, full cap exp isn't vital for Warriors, so if its comfortable to, stopping at 7.5% has more value for you than going further or stopping lower.

You are correct. Full cap expertise actually isn't helpful... You start taking too much Dmg due to the low mastery/avoidance stats. My happy spot is 11.5-13% expertise, but lots of warriors do stop at soft cap. (Hence why I said minimum)
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Actually, it does have some merit on tank swap fights. When you're not tanking, if you're not fully exp capped, get behind the boss and do a little more DPS.

You wouldn't be putting those stats into anything that gives more damage, though. You get a bit of leeway on fights with downtime since you can pool rage, but whether that affects how valuable accuracy is depends on the fight (e.g. WotE vs. Lei Shi).

02/25/2013 10:19 AMPosted by Darpalta
As I understand it, full cap exp isn't vital for Warriors, so if its comfortable to, stopping at 7.5% has more value for you than going further or stopping lower.

If 7.5% is where you're comfortable, sure. There's nothing special about 7.5% that means it's more likely to be your comfort zone.
Edited by Nerfheals on 2/25/2013 11:15 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
Any hit/exp past around 8-9% (combined) is solely for the benefit of personal mistakes and Barrier usage.

We innately have enough rage generation to keep using Shield Block very regularly.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
At 7.5% hit and 6.81% exp, I nearly always generate rage faster than I can spend in on shield block. I'm probably going to keep going to 7.5 exp, but there's no point in going any further there except on magic heavy fights (and if you're fighting casters they can't parry and cast at the same time anyway most of the time), or if you're trying to maximise DPS (which I fully condone).
Edited by Quard on 2/25/2013 9:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior

You are correct. Full cap expertise actually isn't helpful... You start taking too much Dmg due to the low mastery/avoidance stats. My happy spot is 11.5-13% expertise, but lots of warriors do stop at soft cap. (Hence why I said minimum)

No you don't. Hard caps aren't mandatory like the other tanks but you aren't really hurting yourself that badly by hard capping unless you don't push buttons.
Edited by Ðemolition on 2/26/2013 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior

Looks like somebody subscribes to the "pulling random numbers out of thin air theory..."

Capping expertise really is more of a playstyle preference as a Warrior; I frankly did it because I hate seeing Shield Slam/Revenge get parried, especially after a tank swap. And you can still get a relatively comfortable level of Mastery fairly easily for the fights that need it.

That and on a fight like Lei Shi (where you're not spending half of the fight proccing Revenge, or using shield block EVER) it's actually helpful.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Just go for expertise to the point that you are "comfortable" with the amount of rage you're taking in. I personally define that as when you never find yourself grumbling at your rage bar because you couldn't block or barrier at a moment when you wanted to(and it wasn't your fault because you hit a few too many HS or Executes). I think I'm hovering around the hit cap and between 9-10% expertise and I don't find myself wanting for rage at this point.
Reply Quote
This is my first tank, but all the guides I read heavily advised hitting the Hit/Expertise caps as a monk. So that's the approach I took. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]