Would Consecration be a good addition for Ret

90 Human Paladin
I can't exactly remember when Consecration / Holy Wrath / Divine Storm got removed from the single target rotation due to having too much passive cleave in the rotation and other classes falling behind when there were multiple targets - but it seems like an age ago now. I remember warriors were pretty much in the same boat with Whirlwind, but it feels like we're now at a point where Retribution is lagging behind on AE capability as GC mentioned it before.

Our AoE capability is compromised of Hammer of the Righteous / Mass Exorcism / Divine Storm / Light's Hammer if we take it and rolling multiple Censure (Since the other seals are currently not that great but getting buffed for the future). It feels like we can have decent burst AoE but if the targets are up for a significant amount of time - Retribution will always fall behind, Sha of Fear heroic is a good example I guess - with the amount of adds ramping up.

Consecrate might just be another button to press but it could be a good addition when we have 'nothing to press' if we don't receive an Art of War proc on single target and allow us to lift a bit on multiple targets.

Guess I'm just keen to see if we're going to receive any changes to our AoE rotation / capability this patch. Purely PVE standpoint!
Edited by Rafal on 2/25/2013 7:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
back in the day it wasnt bad having it in the ret moves cause you could always use it to sometimes get stealth's out and what not but in general wasnt the greatest dmg and costed a lot of our mana
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I remember in vanilla when that ability was causing the most damage unless you were in full aq 40 gear and so on. To your point though, I don't see any harm in us getting it back. If you don't have 3 holy power, and HotR is on CD, then you're usually hitting single target abilities, which isn't quite AoE. Consecration would be nice for those moments when you have no AoE abilities to press, as you're still doing AoE damage while hitting single target abilities.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Yeah thats the point really - a slight single target gain and something more for sustainable dps on AoE.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I actually find my AoE is lousy on short fights, not long ones. On long fights I have time to ramp up Inquisition and for Divine Purpose procs to help me along and I'm capable of pulling competitive numbers with the rest of my raid group.

We already sort of have a "cleave" going just by virtue of the fact that so many of our AoEs are superior to our single-target priority on as few as two targets.

That said, I'd likely find a default place in my glyph slots if Mass Exorcism were changed to conform to Lobster's suggestion.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Paladin
AoE really isn't the problem here, what we need is a decent cleave. Currently Mass Exorcism is the closest we have, but it's tremendously lackluster as far as damage goes, and the loss of range is kind of an uneven trade.

I think it would be better if Mass Exorcism dealt more splash damage and the range limitations were removed. They would likely have to implement some kind of limitation to avoid it becoming mandatory, though. I'm thinking of a flat 25% damage reduction, but that would kind of defeat the purpose.

That being said, Consecration would make a decent filler ability, as would Holy Wrath. They could also rework Hammer of the Righteous to be a cleaving ability, but I doubt that one.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The trouble with giving us anything to fill in aoe wise will be tacked to the bottom of our priority, for the rare moments when we have nothing better to press. Thus our single target will suffer unless they put a shared cd on something like cs and hotr.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Just gotta wait to see how their aoe tuning goes. They know ret lacks a bit of aoe. Prob boost HoTR or DS a bit,give SoTR another boost, who knows. Gotta wait it out!
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
Yeah I want Titan's Verdict!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
I know give prot Light's Hammer without the healing and put consecration in as a talent that moves with you that snare and heals too.
It's just an idea.

Wouldn't it make more sense to change Light's Hammer into a...hammer that flies around the paladin, I guess?...instead of totally changing two abilities?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
my complaint about ret's aoe is that its really reliant on targets. just about everyone else has a way to deal aoe damage that doesn't require a hostile target baseline. ret's have to spec specifically for theirs. consecration could fix this.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
my complaint about ret's aoe is that its really reliant on targets. just about everyone else has a way to deal aoe damage that doesn't require a hostile target baseline. ret's have to spec specifically for theirs. consecration could fix this.

Remove the target requirement for HoR.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin

An idea I've heard before, and that I'm growing fond of, is removing the range restriction from Glyph of Mass Exorcism. Exo then essentially becomes Howling Blast: free cleave in our normal rotation.

OMG, yes please! This, a million times! Although I can see the dumber Rets making a mess with the glyph if this was implemented.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]