Tanking Pass happening before 5.2?

100 Blood Elf Paladin
A week or two ago, GC responded to, I believe, a twitter question asking some balancing questions by saying they were (paraphrasing) "still working on the single target dps balancing and hadn't done the tanking or aoe passes yet".

I haven't seen any tanking changes in a while, and I'm waiting to see if they're still iterating on tanking balance. So, by extension, I'm trying to figure out if the AoE pass has happened yet. I don't recall a big, change-log full o' AoE changes making it obvious, but there have been a number of single target dps changes with AoE implications so I'm wondering if it snuck in when I wasn't looking. 5.2 is getting pretty close and I'm starting to wonder if we're actually done. Anyone been following this closer than I?
Edited by Wrathblood on 2/26/2013 11:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
With the rumors saying that next wk the patch should drop, it looks like we're dang close to being this for the patch.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
It doesn't look like anything has been finalized yet. Granted, we are very close to the patch, so if something does change, we should see it soon. Compounding the problem, there isn't a consolidated list of all changes yet, because the changes have not yet been finalized. Keep an eye on MMO-C.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Monk
The only tanking changed I read about a while back was to the Brewmaster Ox statue, requiring double the amount of damage done to proc the shield.

Not sure if this change was ever reverted, or was merely a tooltip fix, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Off the top of my head...

- A lot of consecration's damage was shifted from AP scaling to baseline, which will help on-the-pull AoE while making it a little less powerful at very high vengeance levels.
- The AoE target cap was increased to 20 mobs, up from 10, which drastically reduces the effective penalty that non-DoT AoE abilities get on large pulls.
- Grand Crusader is now a 12% chance to proc on HP finisher and on dodging or parrying, so it'll be a fair bit stronger in AoE scenarios. Get enough mobs, and you'll be able to just toss shields out everywhere.

I'm sure there's more, but those are the pieces I remember.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Considering all tanks in their current state Blizzard should stay the hell away from messing with them.

They are about as balanced as can be.

Because as we all know the only balancing that happens is through the use of nerf bats where none are needed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
02/26/2013 05:14 PMPosted by Orcanys
Not sure if this change was ever reverted, or was merely a tooltip fix, etc.

The very first change was a tooltip fix, from 1600% to 800%. It's been 800% on live for a while. The second was an actual nerf, to 1600%.

It's probably a fix to shields overlapping.

[21:10:03.750] Hellion's Guard is refreshed by Litchi (Remaining: 663400)
[21:10:05.655] Hellion's Guard is refreshed by Litchi (Remaining: 628215)
[21:10:07.688] Hellion's Guard is refreshed by Litchi (Remaining: 579378)
[21:10:09.691] Hellion's Guard is refreshed by Litchi (Remaining: 549998)
[21:10:11.365] Hellion's Guard is refreshed by Litchi (Remaining: 528524)

I mean, curbing the hell outta the threshold fixes it, right? That's how they've been handling the other two monk specs anyway, knee-jerk changes.
Edited by Litchi on 2/26/2013 6:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/19/2013 05:01 PMPosted by Ghostcrawler
However, in case it wasn't obvious, these were all single-target changes. We haven't completed AE, healing or tanking changes. Healing or tanking numbers look pretty solid overall though, so don't expect much change there. (And feel free to disagree, but please provide some kind of evidence to back it up.)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7923993861?page=3#52
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Well, they buffed DK baseline diseases, so there's that. :p
Reply Quote
02/26/2013 05:43 PMPosted by Krinu
- A lot of consecration's damage was shifted from AP scaling to baseline, which will help on-the-pull AoE while making it a little less powerful at very high vengeance levels.

Not sure where people got the idea that it's "a lot" of damage or that this was somehow a buff to anything. We gained something like 700 damage baseline, and lost 1% AP scaling. Flat out nerf.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

Not sure where people got the idea that it's "a lot" of damage or that this was somehow a buff to anything. We gained something like 700 damage baseline, and lost 1% AP scaling. Flat out nerf.

Indeed. While it'll theoretically help burst, the base increase amounts to perhaps another 80 damage per tick, so it'll be hard to notice. And while the scaling change is a nerf, its probably small enough to be almost unnoticeable in most situations. You'd notice your numbers being lower on something like heroic Windlord with tons of Vengeance and multiple mobs parked in your Consecration for the entire fight, but that's about it.

For the rest, I knew about the rest of the prot pally tanking changes (other than the increase in AoE cap to 20 targets. That one I hadn't been aware of). Mostly I'm waiting to see if they've decided to stick with the GC proc rate being 12% on avoid/CS/HotR or if they're still iterating it. They changed it a few times in quick succession and suggested they were still looking at it. I'm curious if they're happy with it or not.
Edited by Wrathblood on 2/27/2013 5:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
The AoE buff won't affect most raid situations, and it was only made really recently which is why you may have missed it.

We're a week or two from patch release, so I doubt they'll change it again. Of course, PTR is still PTR, and it's not unrealistic to expect a quick balance hotfix shortly after 5.2 releases.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Still have lots of time before 5.2, arena season ends next week meaning we'll have another week or two possibly after that before 5.2 ships.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Monk
historically the end of the arena season and a new patch have been on the same day soooo....
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]