No one wants to tank?

90 Draenei Death Knight
I noticed that the tank satchel for 5 man random dungeons was popping up almost constantly last night when playing this toon, it is almost like no one wants to tank anymore.

When playing my healer toon, I've also noticed that now the LFR queue is waiting on tanks, not healers (used to be that LFR groups will wait forever for healers).

What's going on?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Because hunter pets and DPS pulling make slow tanks emo quit tanking.

And the good ones just don't need to do LFD/R anymore
Edited by Ðemolition on 2/21/2013 1:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/21/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Ðemolition
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I noticed that the tank satchel for 5 man random dungeons was popping up almost constantly last night when playing this toon, it is almost like no one wants to tank anymore.

When playing my healer toon, I've also noticed that now the LFR queue is waiting on tanks, not healers (used to be that LFR groups will wait forever for healers).

What's going on?

its not that people dont want to be tanks I've been a tank since pally tanking was not suppost to happen.

The problem is the LFD tool sticks you with random people that dont care about looting rules, are rude and abusive, tell you your going too fast too slow start pulling for you and use there pet taunts to drive you nuts.

I stopped tanking for full random groups at the end of cata because I'am sick of the go go's and the general stupidity of getting stuck with people that have no clue, and alot of tanks have done the same were sick of the grief and abuse.

They can keep there tanking goodie bag its not enough to deal with the morons that you get stuck with on a regular basis, I've been asking for a server Only option so you can start policeing our own again but the devs seem to not care that the community has become toxic and there is none left on the servers.
Edited by Leodin on 2/21/2013 1:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
I've been running my monk and paladin every night for a while now, for the valor. That said, I usually wait for the satchel to pop before I queue up. Gotten spoiled by extra gold and free pets.
Edited by Lightning on 2/21/2013 3:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
in a LFD, if hunter pet taunts, hunter pet dies simple, and i track the healer mana if healer is above 60% im going to slow, if healer is below 10% im going to fast, i try to keep the healer around, 30-40% mana all the time
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
There have always been obnoxious dps, growling pets and just outright baddies. I blame boring dungeons more than anything else. During Cata I would valor cap by Wednesday night but still tank a few most other nights because the dungeons could at least hold my attention.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
i posted about this in GD, and offered a fix, seems it went unheard really.

Its simple, once many tanks have all their tank gear, there is no reason for us to tank in LFD or RF. So we go to our secondary spec and make the que longer as a DPS.

My suggestion was to give us non hybrid classes somthing like Druid, monk, were our tank gear could double as dps gear because then there is no need for us to farm DPS gear for the few raid fights where one tank is needed.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
02/22/2013 06:42 AMPosted by Quizenbort
My suggestion was to give us non hybrid classes somthing like Druid, monk, were our tank gear could double as dps gear because then there is no need for us to farm DPS gear for the few raid fights where one tank is needed.

uwotm007?

Not sure how other people feel about this, but i can gain no gear for ms or os in dungeons, however i still run them to get the tank bags, and or to just flat out cary a dungeon, it feels good when you do 60-70% of the damage.

If i cared about tanking other dungeon and actually valor capping anymore, i would run my tank alts for the same reason.

I've been running my monk and paladin every night for a while now, for the valor. That said, I usually wait for the satchel to pop before I queue up. Gotten spoiled by extra gold and free pets.

If the tank bag was like a permanent fixture i would literally spam dungeons all day erry day, im sure other would too, and alleviate the tank issue.

02/21/2013 01:47 PMPosted by Leodin
I stopped tanking for full random groups at the end of cata because I'am sick of the go go's and the general stupidity of getting stuck with people that have no clue, and alot of tanks have done the same were sick of the grief and abuse.

I can see where you are coming from and i know a lot of people are afflicted with this, but you know what stuff them, assuming your not in some full scum gear, chain pull the instance.

The only thing that annoys me in LFD is hunter pets with taunt, they deny me vengeance..... scummy hunters.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I don't think it is an issue of no one wanting to tank, it is rather an issue of demand and supply.

I looked a few weeks ago on warcraftrealms.com and, granted the census figures are by class not by spec, figuring for equal distribution of specs for each class (meaning as a pally 1/3 of the total is Ret, Holy or Prot) and covering all tanking capable classes that only gives about 14% of the total game population potentially as a tank.

To have instant, or quick ques, for LFD you need 60% of the queing population as DPS, 20% as Healing and 20% as Tank.

Not counting the healer side of the argument, unless you can make up that 6% desparity DPS will always have to deal with a que.

Either that or form a premade in /trade for any runs you want to do.

It's what we did in BC and Vanilla.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Monk
02/22/2013 07:04 AMPosted by Cinder
If the tank bag was like a permanent fixture i would literally spam dungeons all day erry day, im sure other would too, and alleviate the tank issue.

Yeah, same here pretty much. Do that plenty on the weekends, where I'll run 4-5 in a row for the satchel. Doesn't pop as often on week nights though. =(
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Yeah, same here pretty much. Do that plenty on the weekends, where I'll run 4-5 in a row for the satchel. Doesn't pop as often on week nights though. =(

what i really hate is when it says its going to give you the tank bag, then it jukes you at the end

/wrists

that nostalgia from raeph
Edited by Cinder on 2/22/2013 7:36 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
02/21/2013 07:57 PMPosted by Druimeister
There have always been obnoxious dps, growling pets and just outright baddies. I blame boring dungeons more than anything else. During Cata I would valor cap by Wednesday night but still tank a few most other nights because the dungeons could at least hold my attention.

I hate they are not adding any new 5 mans in 5.2, I am not crazy about scenarios. Looks like blizz is going the way of fast food instancing, will prob go to all one boss one room raids soon lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

The only thing that annoys me in LFD is hunter pets with taunt, they deny me vengeance..... scummy hunters.

Love that line. I'm happy to tank anything and everything. I might rephrase the line to scummy non-tank taunts. Just because there are huntards out there doesn't mean that every hunter is.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at a permanent tank bag, though after spending an hour wiping because the healer's that keep joining my group can't figure out how to heal the one dps and tank that dodge blades of light (instead of dumping all their mana into the two dps that try to follow the boss while he is a spinning dazzling whirlwind of death) I want more than just some gold and a spirit flask. I haven't seen a mount in any of my bags yet this expansion. If they were removed from the bags don't tell me. I might stop tanking for pugs entirely.

Why should I bother tanking for lfr when there are a thousand players from KT each day that will happily pull the next boss while half the healers are either dead, not in the dungeon yet, or ressing all the dead dps? That's the lfr experience currently. Well that's a wipe. I find the comments about "You're a band tank" pretty funny coming from rogues with +6 spirit gems. A thought I have that might help (though it may have some room for improvement too) would be to put some kind of ready check gate on starting bosses in lfr.

For lfd situations, tanks can always charge from the last boss to the next boss pulling everything, rolling CD's to stay alive then drop if a group has given you that much grief. Not a power to be used lightly, but when people need the lesson, it's your job to give it to them.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Because hunter pets and DPS pulling make slow tanks emo quit tanking.

I don't really mind it if the other players left their pet growl/threatening or other tanking abilities on, I use them as meat shield and they give my runes more time to regenerate. :)

And its not a matter of good or bad either, it seems that players simply don't want to play the tank role anymore. I guess the role is far more easily trolled by others, but then, I simply turn my chat off so they can yell/complain/whine all they want. I can't hear them. :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Let's have a poll on this topic.

Question: Do you not run as tank in LFD/LFR because?
A. Other players keep trolling me (eg. pet taunts, Priest Lifegripping me for fun etc).
B. They too easy for me, I'm too powerful and awesome!
C. They're boring and I don't need anything from it, not even valor points.
D. I prefer running scenarios.
E. I find tanking intimidating and prefer to DPS or Heal instead.
Reply Quote
Let's have a poll on this topic.

Question: Do you not run as tank in LFD/LFR because?
A. Other players keep trolling me (eg. pet taunts, Priest Lifegripping me for fun etc).
B. They too easy for me, I'm too powerful and awesome!
C. They're boring and I don't need anything from it, not even valor points.
D. I prefer running scenarios.
E. I find tanking intimidating and prefer to DPS or Heal instead.

A

I only go now if I see the bag. Otherwise, I can get my valor from dailies
Reply Quote
A, B and C. And that applies to LFR too. Folks seem to spend a lot of time thinking of new ways to grief lfr.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
80 VP is not enough, considering I have to do dailies to get Revered anyway. And I need a DPS spec to do dailies. And I have too many 90s to do a daily on each one. And only half of my 90s can tank.

When I get time to LFR, I'll surely stop doing 5mans, for lack of loot.

Valor of the Ancients is a great thing, though. 120 VP/day, after I get 1000 VP on one character on a Tuesday, would be enough.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]