No one wants to tank?

100 Human Warrior
A. Other players keep trolling me (eg. pet taunts, Priest Lifegripping me for fun etc).

Stopped LFD all together

In a recent LFR I was constantly insulted by some healers for not taunting off the other tank. This other tank was using taunt off CD /facepalm

Really it's killing the game for me. hard to gear up when the only way is to run with complete idiots or trolls.

Finding guilds seems to be a bit of pain too, though I am a dinosaur coming from an age of finding guilds from running dungeons with strangers before LFD was a thing.
Reply Quote
100 Human Monk
Well the satchel is the only reason I wanted to tank- until recently - then that changed too. Satchel is up, I queue, someone is tabbed out, queue closes pops again right away- do the run - No satchel... after 3 times i was done with that too.

Reason I don't like to tank anymore is :

A. trolls
and F. poor game design for easy mode.

And it's not a matter of pace. Someone always runs ahead an pulls the next group, or WAR charges into things, DK deathgrips this or that, SP Mindflays way ahead, hunter blasting the next gorups w ith aoe with or without misdirect and growl on. Locks showing up w blueberry, or threatening presence on their demo pets.

I just want to play my CD's on my own, and not let other's make me play and burn my cd's and force me to ignore little things like positioning because I have to react to players. If tanks could do things that made them unable to dps fully and play their class, there would be much complaining.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I rarely even see the satchel anymore, so there must be plenty of people tanking. At least during the daytime hours.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
I just want to play my CD's on my own, and not let other's make me play and burn my cd's and force me to ignore little things like positioning because I have to react to players. If tanks could do things that made them unable to dps fully and play their class, there would be much complaining.

You definitely can.

That being said pulling slower isn't using your tank to the fullest and playing your class.

Its being slow just for the sake of sticking it to 4 other random people
Edited by Ðemolition on 2/24/2013 4:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Well the satchel is the only reason I wanted to tank- until recently - then that changed too. Satchel is up, I queue, someone is tabbed out, queue closes pops again right away- do the run - No satchel... after 3 times i was done with that too.

When the accepting window pops up, look at the rewards section. If there is no satchel, it has dropped off. Quit the queue. Even if you enter the queue with a satchel, watch the window, because it can change. The satchel is based on when you accept the dungeon, not when you enter the queue.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
My experience so far is that pet taunting, in dungeons at least, is really not that big a deal. Its annoying for sure, to see that mob run away from you and you just auto taunt it back but other than that, no biggie. On bosses I could really care less. But I'm a druid tank so my rage generation isn't dependent on anything except me landing hits, and that is much easier from behind. If they want to keep rezzing a pet, thats on them.
Edited by Híppy on 2/25/2013 8:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
Not gonna lie, i still que for 5mans to flex my epeen.

And trust me... if im in a 5man i dare you pet to taunt.. for me its a challenge.

I also have a add on called "Bad Pet" so youll get a nice friendly whisper notifying you that your pet used some sort of agro gaining ability.
Edited by Mybackhurtz on 2/25/2013 1:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
3 Goblin Rogue

I also have a add on called "Bad Pet" so youll get a nice friendly whisper notifying you that your pet used some sort of agro gaining ability.

I keep it on noisy.... Announce it to the whole group. Shame them into turning it off
Reply Quote
53 Orc Warrior
A and E. Mostly E.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/21/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Ðemolition
And the good ones just don't need to do LFD/R anymore

Arielle and Lowmaine have tanked LFR's I've been in during the past 3 weeks, and I've had a lot of other geared and experienced tanks as well. Some people still need to VP cap, or go to instaqueue friends.

Let's have a poll on this topic.

Question: Do you not run as tank in LFD/LFR because?
A. Other players keep trolling me (eg. pet taunts, Priest Lifegripping me for fun etc).
B. They too easy for me, I'm too powerful and awesome!
C. They're boring and I don't need anything from it, not even valor points.
D. I prefer running scenarios.
E. I find tanking intimidating and prefer to DPS or Heal instead.

I haven't been tanking in LFD/LFR the last couple weeks because I'm working on my DPS spec. I still prefer tanking and healing, and I'm not intimidated by tanking. That wasn't one of your options. ;)

It can be annoying if DPS pull for me when I tank, but it generally isn't a big deal, and I certainly don't subscribe to the "you spank it, you tank it" philosophy. I occasionally will queue solo for the tank bag, if I need VP anyway, but I generally prefer to go with someone I know. I rarely have bad experiences when I do queue solo, it just feels more sociable getting to hang out with people I already know, and I want to save them the queue time if they need to do some.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
A for me

Unfortunately the LFR and LFD have made it really easy for people to grief the tanks and not worry about the consequences. In example just last night there was a hunter in LFR with me for The Dread Approach. First thing I notice is that groups that couldn't possibly be pulled are being pulled. Not body pulled actually targeted and pulled. Now usually not a problem except the groups that are being pulled are the big packs of flying Mantids (forgot the name) that tend to wipe agro and drop 100M on one person, basically making them untankable.

We wiped everytime those groups were pulled and it didn't happen just once but everyone is blaming me and the monk tank with me for the bad pulls. Well I suck it up and keep moving. until I see this hunter in the back sending his pet at the groups then dropping agro after everyone is in combat and blaming the tanks for the wipe cause we aren't holding agro. He refused to stop after being asked to and was kicked to which the healers, who were struggling to keep us from wiping now complained that we were now going too slow even though we were only waiting about 20 seconds on the bosses otherwise the pulls didn't stop.

This hunter who was intentionally causing wipes only got kicked to end up in another LFR though. Theres no consequence for griefing so there's no reason not to troll. If there was some way to enact some sort of real consequence for this sort of action it might be better but theres not a whole lot that can be done.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
One thing that would help me click that LFG\R button is an increase in Valor points for tanks , maybe 1200 max for tanks ,by Friday i am maxed out and usually switch to my healer.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
Let's have a poll on this topic.

Question: Do you not run as tank in LFD/LFR because?
B. They too easy for me, I'm too powerful and awesome!
C. They're boring and I don't need anything from it, not even valor points.
D. I prefer running scenarios.
E. I find tanking intimidating and prefer to DPS or Heal instead.

You forgot F.
F would be "I run with my guildmates instead."

The only reason I'll ever tank an LFD run would be for the satchel. If I need valour, I'll tank for my guildmates, because I'm guaranteed a 5-12 minute run (never had a run go over 15 minutes and that's cause I d/c'd for 4 minutes).

As for LFR, I only go in there as offspec, because I would rather get my valour from 5-mans with my guildmates and friends than do LFR for valour. I don't need any tanking gear from there, that's for sure. I'd tank it if I could get offspec gear while tanking, but that's not currently possible.

Also, our guild is a 25-man guild (with at least double that in active people). We're more than capable of running a guild LFR should we choose to do so (and in fact, we did at the start of the tier).
Reply Quote
When playing my healer toon, I've also noticed that now the LFR queue is waiting on tanks, not healers (used to be that LFR groups will wait forever for healers).

What's going on?

I haven't noticed a change with respect to LFR. My healer still has instant queues there. This tank usually has to wait 2 to 8 minutes. My DPS...20 to 40 minutes.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
C,

There's is nothing in the bag I can use, but just seeing it makes me want to click.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Personally I think why you have a lack of tanks in LFD is because in LFD 1/5 people needs to be a tank when you go to 25 man LFR 1/12.5 people needs to be a tank and 1/25 people needs to be the main tank. I almost instantly queue whenever I hit LFD and if I hit LFR I am almost always the first person in the raid and then half the time get pulled into a raid where a tank left or was kicked because things went bad and the first person the other 23 people blamed was the 2 tanks.

This is why you have a disparity and don’t have any tanks for LFDs because you are then not needed nearly as much in a LFR and if you are in a LFD and you have to be the one that does not miss a beat. As opsed to if you are one of 17DPSers that doesn’t quite know what is going on no one tends to notice if you are one of 2 tanks that makes a small mistake then you are booted from the raid as soon as one of the other 23 people gets aggravated things are not moving faster.

That is my 2 cents at least it is the disparity in ratio of Tanks to other people in LFD vs LFR and need in end game raiding.
Edited by Margaritaa on 2/26/2013 6:08 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
A. And as you can see I have a hunter, it blows my mind that they can forget to turn it off, or refuse to when asked to in chat (thats my breaking point, I will find a way to kill the hunter or to keep their dps low as possible). I tank on my prot paladin (LFD only) so that I can save time (main spec is ret), the runs go super smooth because tanking is super easy these days but no matter how they simplify the role, dealing with a good 30% of the dps population is terrible.

I zone into an instance I say hi to everyone and ask the healer when they are ready to pull. I am there to work WITH people but usually only get the healer on my side. The DPS are there to compete with each other on the meters because meters in 5 mans are super serious guys.

It's funny though how easily perceptions change, when I run things as DPS I can run into super arrogant tanks too, no one role has a monopoly on idiots, it's just that 7 out of 10 players are dps, thats why they appear to be so much worse.
Reply Quote
98 Tauren Warrior
I still run the LFG queues on this character. I often queue for regular dungeons to help out fresh 90s, and I'm completely capped for JP and VP. Whatever, I run for fun and to feel powerful.

I have been working on one of my alts lately, though. They have really added a lot of burst to Frost Mage, and I'm loving it. I also have some lowbies on the more populated servers, to see the big city lights once in a while.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
I tanked a random heroic just now, Shado-Pan Monastery. I was top DPS on the last boss, doing 42k. Yeah, that's why I don't tank. As DPS I can pull massive numbers, ensuring bosses go down super quick. But as tank I'm mostly stuck with bads who can't pull their share of the weight, on top of all the other stupid stuff they do(pet taunts, etc.).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]