Horde RP confuses me.

100 Tauren Shaman
02/22/2013 09:49 PMPosted by Finaj
Saurfang said he would kill him in WotLK, though.

They can do it together! A bonding experience! And sharing is caring.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
Best idea in this thread was the one where Garrosh kills Vol'jin and stays Warchief.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
02/22/2013 09:50 PMPosted by Kunocati
Saurfang said he would kill him in WotLK, though.

They can do it together! A bonding experience! And sharing is caring.

And the Horde will be stronger because of it.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Varian, Vol'jin, Jaina, Baine, Thrall, Saurfang... there is literally a waiting list for Garrosh's head on a pike.

I'm betting Vol'jin will kill him due to his development through a novel.

Now I'm picturing that scene in Airplane! where there's a line people waiting to beat the crap out of a panicking passenger in progressively more brutal ways, except said passenger is now Garrosh.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1Cpc8Vw-2A

Great movie.
Reply Quote
I guess the Horde just has this really good storyline right now and people don't really appreciate it.

I have noticed this as well. And it may be true that people prefer the sandboxes of their own minds to any integration with the matters of their context. But all negation aside, I agree that the Horde is in quite an interesting story situation at present. I know that there are plenty of people who utilize this situation to the fullest in their role play, but it's evident that many folks either seek to negate it entirely, or that instead of integrating it within their role play, the only expression it finds with many is in venting or bickering about it in an out of character form.

I witness at least a few scenarios a week in Orgrimmar dealing with Garrosh, dissent, and the brutality of squelching dissidents. It's almost always the same situation, or a variation on the theme. In Orgrimmar, an Orc overhears a political dissident speaking out against the Warchief and decides to play out the logical consequences of that dissent. The player of the dissenting character retreats from the world in which his dissenting character dwells, refusing to embrace any alteration of his character or situation that does not fit with his preferences. The Orc flounders, unable to carry out any logical conclusion of either his character or the present lore, often resigning into hollow threats or retreating from the role play. The dissenter triumphs over his own withdrawal from the world (present lore) by infecting the Orc with it, and forcing his resignation from the role play (along with the contextual world/lore that he represents).

The above example (or some variation of it) has become so utterly pervasive in Orgrimmar as to essentially invert for the average role player what the present lore situation of Orgrimmar (and the Horde) actually is. One result is that a story opportunity that will never come along again is squandered. Another result is that an atmosphere of resignation suffuses a great many role players who repeatedly encounter role play within which neither they, or the present lore situation, are permitted to exist or interact in any meaningful way.

Does this situation have any connection to the distinct lack of Orc role players in Orgrimmar, or on Moon Guard generally? I'll leave that to someone else to muse over.
Edited by Oronosh on 2/23/2013 7:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
33 Blood Elf Warlock
That post withstanding...Bad press gets around, Oronosh, and it'll likely bite you on the rear end regrdless. An experienced fighter and tactician may look at Garrosh and say "pretender". It's an insult, to be sure, but also an accurate assessment of his mental state.

The one speaking may be an orc for that matter, even from Grom's time. Garrosh is suffering from "Bad Press Syndrome", and that sort of syndrome is hard to get around. Killing shopkeepers in Orgrimmar for really no reason? An edict that is insane on its face? Seriously now, rumor mills start that way, and they get progressively louder as time goes on.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
It seems that every other character is proud to announce how much they detest Garrosh, even though we know that doing so just means your character is beaten or killed.

When you play your character(s), do you have them toe the line or simply state how much they detest the "dumb warchief?" It seems like something that really deals with what the Horde is now.

Ashgar's old enough to remember the days when the orcs were under the effects of demon blood, so he's understandably concerned by some of the actions taken, but he is also a warrior of the Horde first, and a skeptic second.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
02/23/2013 07:34 AMPosted by Oronosh
The player of the dissenting character retreats from the world in which his dissenting character dwells, refusing to embrace any alteration of his character or situation that does not fit with his preferences.

That is the most unfair part, I believe. When our guild roleplay moved in an anti-Hellscream direction, we contacted the orc-centered guilds (at the time) and told them they had free reign with our members if they caught them; and we told our members that if they were 'caught' spouting treason/lies/kerfluffle, that they were at the mercy of the orcs and were not allowed to try and worm their way out of it.

After losing a few members (who were cooperative and let their 'outed' characters be beaten, flayed, and in a couple cases, killed) we packed up and moved out of Durotar, and we don't go back. Any S.O. member found in Orgrimmar (or anywhere there's orcs, for that matter) in character is still absolutely a target and has to do the fair thing and deal with those consequences.

I understand characters can become pretty precious to a person, but if someone truly doesn't want anything to happen to a character, they really just need to not put them in a dangerous/sticky situation in the first place. Yes, Orgrimmar is a fun place to roleplay, but if a characters actions wouldn't sit well with the general populace of Orgrimmar, it'd be better to just bite the bullet and not roleplay there- instead of doing it, getting in a pickle, and then having to navigate a way out.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
There currently really isn't an outlett for subtle rebellion at the moment.

Part of the reason why my Horde RP muses have stagnated is that they absolutely detest the state it's in right now, but are smart enough to know that speaking out is going full retard.

At least in Orgrimmar anyway.

Horde RP right now...just isn't in good shape due to climate alone.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest

Part of the reason why my Horde RP muses have stagnated is that they absolutely detest the state it's in right now, but are smart enough to know that speaking out is going full retard.

*waves hands* Come to Pandaria. Lots of places to formulate a rebellion, and the Kor'kron can't be everywhere...
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest

*waves hands* Come to Pandaria. Lots of places to formulate a rebellion, and the Kor'kron can't be everywhere...
It's not really reflected in the game world yet though.

Maybe It's just because I lack a solid imagination, but If it isn't reflected in the game World in some capacity, I find RP based on game current events to be rather superfluous since it pretty much requires Blizzard to move it along in any meaningful way.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
That post withstanding...Bad press gets around, Oronosh, and it'll likely bite you on the rear end regrdless. An experienced fighter and tactician may look at Garrosh and say "pretender". It's an insult, to be sure, but also an accurate assessment of his mental state.

The one speaking may be an orc for that matter, even from Grom's time. Garrosh is suffering from "Bad Press Syndrome", and that sort of syndrome is hard to get around. Killing shopkeepers in Orgrimmar for really no reason? An edict that is insane on its face? Seriously now, rumor mills start that way, and they get progressively louder as time goes on.

I'm not entirely certain how the word pretender applies to Garrosh.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Warlock

It's not really reflected in the game world yet though.

Maybe It's just because I lack a solid imagination, but If it isn't reflected in the game World in some capacity, I find RP based on game current events to be rather superfluous since it pretty much requires Blizzard to move it along in any meaningful way.

Isn't disruption to routine when RP gets really fun though? The time I dislike most is between expacs when the world is safe and boring for months.

I understand it can be tough when the story moves somewhere you don't really enjoy but there is so much fun roleplay to wring out of this situation. Like, how does Garrosh affect your character's life? Is he sending her or her family away to dangerous conflict? Are you thinking of moving out of Orgrimmar? How does that affect her? How can she do that without rousing suspicion? Is she going to start searching for a rebel cell?
Edited by Cythe on 2/23/2013 6:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
33 Blood Elf Warlock

Pretty simple really. He is not Grom. He never will be Grom, and likely won't go out like Grom. He wants to be like Grom, his own father.

No offense, but Garrosh was poorly handled from the word 'go'. He had potential, but it was squandered. Yes, he is a pretender. He will not have the glory days of the Old Horde. Those are long gone, and they won't be recovered.

Times have changed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Pretty simple really. He is not Grom. He never will be Grom, and likely won't go out like Grom. He wants to be like Grom, his own father.

No offense, but Garrosh was poorly handled from the word 'go'. He had potential, but it was squandered. Yes, he is a pretender. He will not have the glory days of the Old Horde. Those are long gone, and they won't be recovered.

Times have changed.

Are you just saying things or do you want a discussion on what you're saying?

I just want to be certain before I address what's wrong with your assessment.
Reply Quote
I guess the Horde just has this really good storyline right now and people don't really appreciate it.

I have noticed this as well. And it may be true that people prefer the sandboxes of their own minds to any integration with the matters of their context. But all negation aside, I agree that the Horde is in quite an interesting story situation at present. I know that there are plenty of people who utilize this situation to the fullest in their role play, but it's evident that many folks either seek to negate it entirely, or that instead of integrating it within their role play, the only expression it finds with many is in venting or bickering about it in an out of character form.

I witness at least a few scenarios a week in Orgrimmar dealing with Garrosh, dissent, and the brutality of squelching dissidents. It's almost always the same situation, or a variation on the theme. In Orgrimmar, an Orc overhears a political dissident speaking out against the Warchief and decides to play out the logical consequences of that dissent. The player of the dissenting character retreats from the world in which his dissenting character dwells, refusing to embrace any alteration of his character or situation that does not fit with his preferences. The Orc flounders, unable to carry out any logical conclusion of either his character or the present lore, often resigning into hollow threats or retreating from the role play. The dissenter triumphs over his own withdrawal from the world (present lore) by infecting the Orc with it, and forcing his resignation from the role play (along with the contextual world/lore that he represents).

The above example (or some variation of it) has become so utterly pervasive in Orgrimmar as to essentially invert for the average role player what the present lore situation of Orgrimmar (and the Horde) actually is. One result is that a story opportunity that will never come along again is squandered. Another result is that an atmosphere of resignation suffuses a great many role players who repeatedly encounter role play within which neither they, or the present lore situation, are permitted to exist or interact in any meaningful way.

Does this situation have any connection to the distinct lack of Orc role players in Orgrimmar, or on Moon Guard generally? I'll leave that to someone else to muse over.

Quoted for so much truth. It castrates loyalist RP and makes being a rebel almost too easy.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

It's been my experience that there are plenty of Orc RPers, but they don't, for various reasons, RP in Org. Some are turned off by power players who ignore the lore, some have RP reasons for being away from Org, and still others are simply bored with the new Org. I'm not playing an Orc, but I'm in that last category, and I'm about ready to start looking for other pastures.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest

Times have changed.
I know what you're getting at, but I think Pretender is not the word you're looking for, is what Vesp is trying to get at.

...I think.

02/23/2013 06:32 PMPosted by Cythe
I understand it can be tough when the story moves somewhere you don't really enjoy but there is so much fun roleplay to wring out of this situation

I would normally aggree, but...
Are you thinking of moving out of Orgrimmar? How does that affect her? How can she do that without rousing suspicion? Is she going to start searching for a rebel cell?
This is the thing that has my muses on Hold at the moment. I know already how they would react and what they would do-the clincher is the underlined phrase. That part is a segment of the plot that hasn't happened yet. They're currently trapped in story limbo with no way to move forward.

In this situation...I think I;d much rather prefer routine than RP lock.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warlock
I've made a rebel call.

Though, it's a very racial specific call, so not everyone has an outlet. Before the KKL made their way onto the Echo Isles, a good bulk of our RP came from assaulting Horde supply lines, fighting Hellscream-sent assassins, stealing back foodstuffs, etc. Logically, because we've come under close watch, our movements are not so...obvious.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]