Patch Mirror Inquiry

(Locked)

I have been enjoying my return to the game and getting to see all the new content, unfortunately, the school I go to blocks the blizzard updater so with the recent updates leading up to patch 5.2 I have been unable to play. My plan was to wait until I can get my hands on a mirror, but I figured I would ask if there was some sort of alternative way around this issue or if not, is there a site I can go to that generally has patch mirrors for updates as they come along? Any feedback would be great in my quest to educate myself on all this.
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
This site might help:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Patch_mirrors

Give a read of this site - you may be able to get around the school thing:

http://patchup.info/wow/tfil/NA/
First off, thanks Tratt for taking the time to help me out! I tried following the directions the second link gives, but it looks like its still a no go. The mirrors wowwiki has however seem to regularly update, so I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope that they will throw up an update right after the patch goes live.
59 Undead Death Knight
02/25/2013 07:08 PMPosted by Damwolv
First off, thanks Tratt for taking the time to help me out! I tried following the directions the second link gives, but it looks like its still a no go. The mirrors wowwiki has however seem to regularly update, so I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope that they will throw up an update right after the patch goes live.

How to install the game is not very well explained there, but unless you have to have something like Bradford Persistent Agent installed on your computer in order to get internet access, you should be able to install and update WoW just fine.

Step by step:
--
1. Download World of WarCraft Setup from:
https://battle.net/account/download/?show=wow
Using this installer makes it easier because you won't have to patch from 4.x to 5.0.

2. Update the launcher using one of the three methods listed here:
http://patchup.info/blizz/tools/Win/If you choose to use the .exe files, just download and install them. If you want to use method 2 (SetupWin.mpq), download the mpq and save it in the same folder as the World-of-Warcraft-Setup-enUS, and then run the setup to install the game. (You must extract the mpq if you download from gamefront because it's stored in a zip file)

3. Run World-of-Warcraft-Setup-enUS.exe and install.

4. After the installation finishes, you should get this error: "Failed to download a required file". (Yes, the installation is completed at or close to 0%)

Edit: It may take a long time for the launcher to display that error. So, it may be better to watch your Desktop and when you see a 'World of Warcraft' shortcut appear (it must have a WoW icon), close the launcher, kill the Agent.exe process and proceed to the next step.

5. Now, go to patchup.info and download the WoW.tfil file.
http://patchup.info/wow/tfil/NA/This file needs to be in your World of Warcraft folder when you run the launcher (replace the existing file). (The World of Warcraft folder is located wherever you installed the game)

6. If you used method 2 to update the launcher, copy the SetupWin.mpq file which should be sitting alongside World-of-Warcraft-Setup-enUS into your World of Warcraft folder. (If you did not use method 2 to update the launcher, skip this step and worry about this the next time the launcher needs updating or if you delete the Battle.net folder for whatever reason)

7. Either run World of Warcraft Launcher from within the WoW folder or use the desktop shortcut and let it download. (Do not run the installer again because it will replace the tfil with a 0kb file.)

--
Edited by Barthus on 3/29/2013 11:41 AM PDT
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Thanks for explaining further Barthus - I'll stick this in my favorites for the next person :)
So I have followed those steps and I'm actually connecting now which is a good step. What is strange is that instead of showing me any kind of download bar like normal, like with the red/yellow/green progress and all that business, is just says

"Downloading Data for an upcoming patch."

I can select PLAY and enter the game but when I attempt to log in it just tells me it is unable to do so. I am assuming this is because I am trying to get into the game with the incorrect build of WoW.

Is there some step I missed to make it download these updates for 5.2?
59 Undead Death Knight
So I have followed those steps and I'm actually connecting now which is a good step. What is strange is that instead of showing me any kind of download bar like normal, like with the red/yellow/green progress and all that business, is just says

"Downloading Data for an upcoming patch."

That's normal. It's the background downloader pre-downloading the next patch. You're not required to finish that before you can play. (You can check the progress by opening 'Connection information' on the launcher)

I can select PLAY and enter the game but when I attempt to log in it just tells me it is unable to do so. I am assuming this is because I am trying to get into the game with the incorrect build of WoW.

Is there some step I missed to make it download these updates for 5.2?

Does it say "Unable to connect"? Do you have any antivirus installed? McAfee, maybe?
Edited by Barthus on 2/25/2013 9:14 PM PST
Nope I made sure my anti virus was disabled during the process so that it wouldn't get in the way. I also checked to see if the new updates actually did indeed download and they are all there so I am at a loss. Just for clarity's sake here is the exact error message I am getting when I attempt a log in:

"There was an error logging in. Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact blizzard technical support at https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/world-of-warcraft-connection-troubleshooting"

The typical error message nothing special.
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
So you have the patch all installed, however now you get that message when you log in correct?
That is correct. It seems like the kind of message you get when you attempt to log in with no internet. There is no delay, the error is instant.
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Let's just reset things then - you may have to do the same thing next time. Follow Barthus's instructions - then reset.

1. Delete the Battle.net folder located in the ProgramData folder.

2. Delete the Battle.net folder located in the Programdata/Blizzard Entertainment folder.

3. Navigate to the World of Warcraft folder and delete the WoW.tfil, WoW.mfil, WoW.pfil
59 Undead Death Knight
02/25/2013 09:23 PMPosted by Damwolv
That is correct. It seems like the kind of message you get when you attempt to log in with no internet. There is no delay, the error is instant.

Do what Tratt said but if that doesn't work post your connection.log (It's located in the Logs folder)

The reason I asked if you have McAfee is because disabling it does not disable its firewall.
Okay I have followed Tratt's instructions and its still a no go. I do not have McAffe, instead I use Panda Antivirus Pro 2013 which has been disabled for the duration of this adventure.

Okay so here is my connection.log, as I'm noticing something about no battle.net manager?

2/26 09:58:45.085 Login program=WoW platform=Wn64 locale=enUS
2/26 09:58:45.107 Component WoW.Wn64.16357
2/26 09:58:45.139 Component WoW.base.16357
2/26 09:58:45.159 Component WoW.enUS.16357
2/26 09:58:45.180 Component Tool.Win.1276
2/26 09:58:45.203 GRUNT: state: LOGIN_STATE_FAILED result: LOGIN_NO_BATTLENET_MANAGER
2/26 09:58:45.222 Login program=WoW platform=Wn64 locale=enUS
2/26 09:58:45.259 Component WoW.Wn64.16357
2/26 09:58:45.284 Component WoW.base.16357
2/26 09:58:45.305 Component WoW.enUS.16357
2/26 09:58:45.326 Component Tool.Win.1276
2/26 09:58:45.349 GRUNT: state: LOGIN_STATE_FAILED result: LOGIN_NO_BATTLENET_MANAGER
59 Undead Death Knight
Make sure you have both battle.net dll files in your WoW folder. (battle.net.dll and battle.net-64.dll)
I have been doing some digging and I believe this may be the problem. By Wow folder I just want to confirm you mean the same folder that contains the mfil, tfil, and pfil files? Also where is a good place to get these battle.net files?
59 Undead Death Knight
Yes, that's the folder.

Have you tried running repair? It might download the latest version of those files.
I have yes, and it doesn't seem to add them in.
59 Undead Death Knight
1. Download mpq editor
http://www.zezula.net/en/mpq/download.html
2. Open the file base-Win.MPQ on MPQEditor
World of WarCraft\Data\base-Win.MPQ
3. Still on MPQEditor, right click on Wow.exe, click on Extract and extract it to your Wow folder (replace the existing file)

4. Close MPQEditor (if you leave it open the launcher will not initialize)

5. Delete the Battle.net folder
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/deleting-battlenet-tools-folder-pc

6. Run World of Warcraft Launcher.

--
The older Wow.exe extracted from the base mpq will prompt the launcher to re-apply the patch and restore any missing file.
Edited by Barthus on 2/26/2013 5:01 PM PST
Well the launcher isn't opening anymore. Now I get a small window that reads:

"Failed to extract required files from an archive. Please try again. Please click link below for more information or contact Customer Support if the problem persists. Error code: BLZPTS00008."

As much of a pain as it may be, would it be wise to just reinstall the game from scratch?
59 Undead Death Knight
Do you still have the SetupWin.mpq you downloaded from patchup.info? You should keep that file in your Wow folder otherwise the launcher won't be able to create a new Battle.net folder.
Edited by Barthus on 2/26/2013 4:35 PM PST
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]