Tomorrow I am leaving for America

85 Blood Elf Paladin
I miss mexican food and BBQ so much :( That's the first thing I plan on eating when I get home.

But seriously, get some BBQ and cornbread.
Edited by Cokahs on 2/28/2013 1:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Datan sounds like one of those rich, classy types. I like his style.
Reply Quote
Was in america last year.. Awesome place. If you are in downtown Chicago, go to the Gilt Bar and order their Truffle pasta.. Also give the roasted bone marrow and red onion jam a whirl. Messy, but good.

HOW DARE YOU TELL THAT NICE PANDAREN TO GO TO SOME LOW CLASS GARBAGE FOOD JOINT?! ./slap

If you're in Chicago then you should check out Rosscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles. It's soul food and it's freaking delicious.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Paladin
Again, to echo others, America isn't just one...state. Different regions (and even states) have their own foods and some places take great pride in their food, so there really isn't one good answer that covers the ENTIRE country. I personally have been up and down the east coast and as far west as Indianapolis, so if I went now to California or Texas I'd have no idea what to eat first either. XD

To drive home the point, it is common when two teams face eachother in the World Series of Baseball for the mayors of each city to bet a certain amount of food that their city is known for. New York typically bets pizza or something similar. Philadelphia would bet Cheesesteaks and Crabfries, etcetc.

Lacking that information, find a diner and get a cheeseburger deluxe. That's probably the safest food, where you can go anywhere in the continental US and get more or less the same thing.

Enjoy your trip!
Edited by Saffa on 2/28/2013 9:16 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Monk
It's America, land of the Freedom Fries and Heart Disease. They have deep-fried butter, for crying out loud.

In all seriousness, I'm told Americans have bacon on their pancakes/waffles. Apparently it's very nice! And I also echo the 'dodge McDonalds'. It's a universally crap chain, unless you're talking about the thickshakes, which are damn awesome.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
It's America, land of the Freedom Fries and Heart Disease. They have deep-fried butter, for crying out loud.

In all seriousness, I'm told Americans have bacon on their pancakes/waffles. Apparently it's very nice! And I also echo the 'dodge McDonalds'. It's a universally crap chain, unless you're talking about the thickshakes, which are damn awesome.

Yep, some store chains, such as Wawa, serve sandwhiches comprised of Pancakes, eggs, bagon, and cheese, if you'd believe it.

But yeah, a pretty traditional breakfast is Pancakes/waffles, with a breakfast meat and another side. Omelets are very much enjoyed too, and then there's scrapple and -breakfast steak-, if you'd believe it.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
eat an american
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Mage
Everyone says burgers or pizza. Are we forgetting these were all originally foreign creations?!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
02/28/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Vyrael
Everyone says burgers or pizza. Are we forgetting these were all originally foreign creations?!

but that's why they're quintessentially american
Reply Quote
98 Gnome Warlock
The United States is a melting pot of many cultures and cuisines. It is also very large, and different regions produce different things. This gives rise to geographical flair being added to favorite dishes allowing for amazing culinary diversity.

The US is also a very busy country. We dont like to take time out for proper meals. This has spawned an incredible number of fast food establishments. Some of them can be really good, most are not, and none are healthy for you.

It sort of depends what youre looking for. Do you want an iconic American meal just to celebrate landfall and provide a memory of your first trip? I'd say ask your cab driver to take you to the best burger place in town and order up their biggest cheeseburger with a side of french fries and a chocolate shake. It doesnt get much more American than that.

But if youre looking to dig into something really good that you probably cant get back home, you'll need to talk to your hosts about the regional specialties. Try sampling the amazing hispanic/asian fusion cuisines of the west coast. The aged corn fed beef steaks and Italian inspired staples of the north/mid-west. The "Coney Island" and seafood stylings of the east coast. Or the "Soul Food" and Cajun tastes of the south.

Americans are a diverse and dynamic people, but theres one thing we can agree on, we LOVE food! Get off the beaten track of fast food made by minimum wage slaves, and you will be rewarded for your effort.

- Forbs
"For Gnomeregan!"
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
That being said, if you ever find yourself in the Iowa/Illinois Quad Cities metro area, get ye some QC style pizza. That stuff is godly.
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Monk
02/28/2013 10:48 AMPosted by Vyrael

There's so many local food places & all-over-america chains that took the pizza and the hamburger and did their own spin to it that it doesn't matter they were originally foreign. They've been Americanized.

I suggest to the OP that wherever in America they end up at they check out the local areas for restaurants in addition to the bigger more recognizable chains. Every city or town has it's little 'gem' of food, it just takes some looking.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
If you are going somewhere near the Canadian border, go somewhere and get some poutine.

It may look gross, but it is heaven on a plate.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Depends mostly on where you're visiting. If anywhere in the Mid-Atlantic, get a Philly (Philadelphia) cheesesteak. The good one is chopped beef, not too lean, but not too gristly either. Cheese is usually American or provolone (but never Swiss, that's the devil's cheese). Peppers and onions aren't pure, but some strange folk like them on it.

Not going to the Mid-Atlantic? Look for a place called Capriotti's near where you're visiting. Get the cheesesteak from there. Alternatively, get a Bobbie. It's a Turkey Day dinner in a sandwich. Turkey, stuffing, mayo and cranberry sauce to round it out. It started here in the Mid-Atlantic, but it's spreading like wildfire.

Uhh. Pizza. Don't let the Italinos fool you. They may have invented it, but we perfected it. You'll see the big names like Pizza Hut or Dominos or Papa John's, but look for the smaller mom-and-pop places and chains. Back in the Mid-Atlantic? Hit up two chains called Seasons Pizza and Grotto's Pizza.

Also, it's amazing what you can do to food by giving enormous portions of it. Chinese buffets, hibachi buffets, Tandoori buffets, it goes on and on.

Visiting the islands or somewhere on the West Coast with a large community of expats on the mainland? Look for a place called L&L Drive-Thru. Grab a chicken katsu mini-plate. Enjoy with the katsu sauce, and the scoop of rice and mac salad. Get lomi lomi. Enjoy a nice walk in the park. Or the beach. The grinds be ono, brah.

Fast food. You'll be tempted eventually, so might as well put the good ones. Again, depending on area, along with some menu recommendations

White Castle (NY/NJ/Ohio/Midwest) - Jalapeno cheese slider, chicken rings
Jack in the Box (NC/Midwest/West Coast) - Chicken sandwich
Carl's Jr (Cali/West Coast)
Steak & Shake (Midwest/various) - Frisco melt, chocolate milkshake
Five Guys (various) - Bacon double cheeseburger with BBQ sauce or A1 steak sauce

Enjoy the visit. This should make you fat and happy by the end. In short, it should make you 'Murica.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Depends mostly on where you're visiting. If anywhere in the Mid-Atlantic, get a Philly (Philadelphia) cheesesteak. The good one is chopped beef, not too lean, but not too gristly either. Cheese is usually American or provolone (but never Swiss, that's the devil's cheese). Peppers and onions aren't pure, but some strange folk like them on it.

Not going to the Mid-Atlantic? Look for a place called Capriotti's near where you're visiting. Get the cheesesteak from there. Alternatively, get a Bobbie. It's a Turkey Day dinner in a sandwich. Turkey, stuffing, mayo and cranberry sauce to round it out. It started here in the Mid-Atlantic, but it's spreading like wildfire.

Uhh. Pizza. Don't let the Italinos fool you. They may have invented it, but we perfected it. You'll see the big names like Pizza Hut or Dominos or Papa John's, but look for the smaller mom-and-pop places and chains. Back in the Mid-Atlantic? Hit up two chains called Seasons Pizza and Grotto's Pizza.

Also, it's amazing what you can do to food by giving enormous portions of it. Chinese buffets, hibachi buffets, Tandoori buffets, it goes on and on.

Visiting the islands or somewhere on the West Coast with a large community of expats on the mainland? Look for a place called L&L Drive-Thru. Grab a chicken katsu mini-plate. Enjoy with the katsu sauce, and the scoop of rice and mac salad. Get lomi lomi. Enjoy a nice walk in the park. Or the beach. The grinds be ono, brah.

Fast food. You'll be tempted eventually, so might as well put the good ones. Again, depending on area, along with some menu recommendations

White Castle (NY/NJ/Ohio/Midwest) - Jalapeno cheese slider, chicken rings
Jack in the Box (NC/Midwest/West Coast) - Chicken sandwich
Carl's Jr (Cali/West Coast)
Steak & Shake (Midwest/various) - Frisco melt, chocolate milkshake
Five Guys (various) - Bacon double cheeseburger with BBQ sauce or A1 steak sauce

Enjoy the visit. This should make you fat and happy by the end. In short, it should make you 'Murica.

Isecond Jack in the Box. When my boyfriend moved down here from New York - he was in love with the place.

As far as the south goes - Chikfila is really good as well, I'd also hit up Whataburger, Red Robin, and country burger if you can find one.

Also, Southern Sweet Tea = amazing. The stuff up north just doesn't compare.
Reply Quote
100 Human Hunter
Five Guys and Chik-fil-a iare probably the only chains I like.
Reply Quote
63 Night Elf Monk
02/28/2013 12:31 PMPosted by Kanas
Five Guys and Chik-fil-a iare probably the only chains I like.

Five Guys here depends on if the employees care about their job or not, if they don't, it's terrible and sloppily made food. On the other hand, if they like their job and care about actually making edible stuff, it's delicious.

Chik Fil A has some great sandwiches. I used to go there regularly, then the whole anti-gay "traditional family" thing came around and the people that run that particular restaurant in town are massive anti-gay supporters. Lots of homophobes & really rude people frequent it now so I don't go there any more.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warlock
Love me some Cajun food.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
As a person who is a Memphian... kinda. I have to say get yourself something nice and barbequed! Or, or, or! Try some spicy chicken or, um... gah there's so much stuff to eat! Just eat it all! Order yourself a pizza, some Chinese food, go to a fast food place, grab yourself some snacks at a Gas Station and then chow down!
Reply Quote
What the other guy said: It depends on where in America you go first.

Each region has its own thing that makes it fantastic.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]