What is DKP

90 Draenei Death Knight
I've heard nothing but bad things about this from vanilla wow, but i dont even know what it means. anyone know what it means? and what it was for?
thanks <^.^>
Reply Quote
Dragon Kill Points.

Basically, every time your raid downs a boss, everyone who participated receives, lets say 10 DKP. This isn't a currency in game, but just a form of bidding in guild raids. So when an item drops, you can bid however much DKP you'd like for the item.
Reply Quote
For not knowing what it is...THAT IS A 50 DKP MINUS!!!!

http://www.wowpedia.org/DKP
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Dragon Kill Points is an external loot distribution system employed by guilds to gauge participation and reward accordingly.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
It also was a system that did two things

1. rewarded on the basis of participation

2. made sure one person didn't get all the loot as you had to spend dkp to get the loot drops
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Dragon Kill Points.

It's a system used outside the game to tally up your boss kills/raid attendance to determine who would get loot in a raid.

Basically, you'd give 5 points/boss, 10 for a full clear. Set pieces would cost 25 points, off set pieces 20, pieces off the last boss would be 30/35 depending on set/off-set. Some pieces would be cheaper if their usefulness was less (usually resist gear).

So as a player, you'd get points by bosses you were there to kill and lose points as you got items.

When an item dropped, the Loot Master would link it, ask people to whisper him if they wanted it. He'd jot the names down, check the DKP scores and assign the item to the person with the most DKP, and deduct the amount of point from that person.

I had to do Loot Master/DKP work in a few MC run, and let's just say it takes quite a while and you just AFK trash to make sense of it all.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
Dragon Kill Points.

It's a system used outside the game to tally up your boss kills/raid attendance to determine who would get loot in a raid.

Basically, you'd give 5 points/boss, 10 for a full clear. Set pieces would cost 25 points, off set pieces 20, pieces off the last boss would be 30/35 depending on set/off-set. Some pieces would be cheaper if their usefulness was less (usually resist gear).

So as a player, you'd get points by bosses you were there to kill and lose points as you got items.

When an item dropped, the Loot Master would link it, ask people to whisper him if they wanted it. He'd jot the names down, check the DKP scores and assign the item to the person with the most DKP, and deduct the amount of point from that person.

I had to do Loot Master/DKP work in a few MC run, and let's just say it takes quite a while and you just AFK trash to make sense of it all.

o.o
thats.... surprisingly complicated and woulda been rather painful...

You've been playing for at least 4.5 years and you've never heard of DKP?Since when was DKP used exclusively in Classic?

i dont know, i just thought DKP was used more in classic... i think... anyways i didnt know what DKP meant, only that it was some kind of bidding system and from what ive seen in the other comments, a rather painful one
Edited by Greathammer on 3/1/2013 7:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
o.o
thats.... surprisingly complicated and woulda been rather painful...

Yeah, I had to have screenshots of attention for every boss kill (as there would be swaps in the night so I couldn't just award full run points to everyone there at the beginning), then I would have to calculate the site's DKP list + points awarded in the night on encounters the player was present, and duck DKP. I'd get whispers of "Are you sure DrunkDwarf really had more DKP than me for that Bindings ?"

I had like 3 notepads opened outside of WoW and just updated the site after the run... sometimes the following day from work -_- since finishing up the raid at 1 a.m. meant I had 5 hours of sleep left.

And I left out class priorities for items, where DKP "bonuses" were awarded when calculating if a player had more DKP than an other depending on the item ;)

That's why some guilds just loot counciled. We ended up saying screw it all for Karazhan and just went with free rolling, brought back DKP as we progressed to Gruul.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I prefer DKP systems over Loot Council systems.

they're fair, and generally don't allow for favoritism...numbers don't lie.
Reply Quote
14 Worgen Rogue

Ahahahahaha, I love that vid.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
I miss being in a dkp guild
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
You've been playing for at least 4.5 years and you've never heard of DKP?

Since when was DKP used exclusively in Classic?

I never heard of it and I started just before lich came out on EU account.

Then again I never did guild stuff. I only had them to talk to people.

Dragon kill points (usually abbreviated with the acronym DKP) designates a kind of currency which is earned by participating in endgame raids and spent by acquiring loot from endgame bosses. The term DKP is also frequently used to designate raid-level loot system in general. The most popular systems for endgame loot distribution are point-based (and thus DKP systems). The very first endgame loot distribution system was developed by the guild Afterlife in 1999 and named for the original two EverQuest end bosses, both of whom were dragons.[1]

Creating a DKP system gives an example of how to build a DKP system from scratch.

Oh yay more stuff from everquest. I hate the ding thing >.> I hear no ding >.>

Ahahahahaha, I love that vid.

Vid?
Edited by Momoka on 3/1/2013 7:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

[quote]You've been playing for at least 4.5 years and you've never heard of DKP?Since when was DKP used exclusively in Classic?

i dont know, i just knew DKP was used more in classic... i think... anyways i didnt know what DKP meant, only that it was some kind of bidding system and from what ive seen in the other comments, a rather painful one

Some people/guilds have different systems, but its all basically the same thing. Points rewarded for killing dragons (bosses). When you are killing new bosses people who have been in the guild longest usually get loot first, at least thats how it was in the guilds i was in. Sometimes people would get together and talk it over see who needs a piece of loot more then another. So that way people who were going to pass didnt put in a bid and the guy who everyone says needed the item would just put in a minimum bid and win the item. One other thing too, is that the last guild i was in used a mod that would automatically take bids and announce who won. But one of the first guilds i was in didnt use a mod and if the officers liked you or they didnt like someone bidding they would whisper you and say "hey this other guy bid 100dkp but you only bid 75, if you want it you should bid more". I thought that it was kinda lame that they did that. Might as well do loot council and give all the loot to your friends if you're gonna do stuff like that.
Edited by Qtcutecuetee on 3/1/2013 7:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I prefer DKP systems over Loot Council systems.

they're fair, and generally don't allow for favoritism...numbers don't lie.

I know in the 3 guilds I was in, the Paladins just "loot counciled" the tier drops ahead of time. Especially in the one guild without fixed DKP costs that used DKP bidding instead (so the highest bidder got the item rather than the highest DKP holder) it saved us a ton of DKP as no one would out bid anyone on tier drops and we'd save all that extra DKP for inter-class drop bids ;)

The other guilds just did it to prevent having 1 geared up Paladin and the rest in blues, diminishing our overall effectiveness. Some of the other classes were jealous of our teamwork on that side, but they never managed to convince their fellows to go for it. Dunno why us Paladins got along so well together in all the guilds I've been in, maybe it's because we all emphathised at our "decurse!" role and how painful it was -_-.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I always preferred epgp over dkp. Even though they are kind of the same thing, epgp makes it much easier to deal with in 25's.
Edited by Sadiemay on 3/1/2013 7:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
03/01/2013 07:48 AMPosted by Momoka
Vid?

Onyxia rage guy.

"WHELPS!"
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
o.o thats.... surprisingly complicated and woulda been rather painful...

It really isn't.

Participate in raid encounters, get points, use points as currency for gear. It encourages active raid attendance and participation and rewards long-standing loyal raid members.

Some people say it's bad for new team members. I say those people are idiots. You can't expect to join a brand new team and get a bunch of loot your first time in. If you want to start getting loot, you need to show up to raids and start saving points. You need to contribute.

If you want to see complicated, take a look at EPGP: http://www.wowpedia.org/EPGP

It has things in common with DKP, but it's far more rewarding to those who really put time and effort into their raiding. It can award points for simply showing up to a raid (even if you're sitting out for the night and acting as a fill-in), providing food and flasks to the team, sticking around the whole raid night, or pretty much anything that helps your raid team in some way.
Edited by Vanarela on 3/1/2013 7:59 AM PST
Reply Quote
http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=4402

http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=4403

These 2 achievements are from the original Onyxia rage wipe animation. Just watched the vid again. Man that brought back some memories.
Reply Quote
Its actually not as complicated as some people say. Sure some guilds made it complicated but it was up to each guild to decide the rules, and there were many many variations. And of course, wow did not invent it. The idea goes back to EQ1, if not further.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]