5.2 Blacksmith Info and Checklist

90 Gnome Warrior
Ok, For those of you who have not been on PTR or read about the blacksmith weapons or are just going by others speculation. Here is the low down on what there is in PTR and that it will probably be very close to the patch that's hitting this upcoming Tuesday.

#1 Some people have been saving up mats in speculation as to what is going to be worth a lot concerning blacksmiths and jewel crafters. The answer is a bit more complex and market impact will have a lot to do with the server professions composition on your realm. But in short.. Yes Ghost iron and living steel will take a major jump in price along with trillium and serpents eyes for jc's. This will also impact the lower level ore markets but in a more direct way then just the fact that people will not be farming those ores. In fact many people will and i will explain that in a bit.

#2 You will not be able to just jump on the island and learn these new recipies on day 1. There is a realm progression that opens up parts of the island peice at a time. As i was not there in the earlier stages of PTR i am not positive on how the whole progression is implemented or unlocks but it is fact that there will be an amount of time it takes to get the Thunder forges unlocked in order to get the quest line for the Patterns and to make the Lightning Steel ingot.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
#3 In order to get the initial quest you must kill a rare that drops the item "Mysterious Ingot". In ptr i was on hunter wearing full tier 15 gear with a DM trink and a tier 15 trink so he was not hard to kill but dose have a considerable amount of health and would pose a challenge for someone in lower level gear considering there is a mechanic to the kill. After the mini boss gets to about 60% health or so he goes into a protective bubble that is powered by generators/ columns of some sorts around him that you must deactivate. Easy enough right.. Well btw the floor is also full of aoe that will kill a tank in about 3 seconds. You must jump on elevated terrain to avoid the aoe cloud. The doors to the forge are adjacent to the boss and all you have to do is go inside and read a book lying on the central forge to complete the quest. You will get a varying set of plans for different base line weapons that are of a blue 463 ilvl. These are old legendary weapons reborn and the core of what you need to progress to making the new epic weapons. You will also get 1 free Lightning Ingot and can craft an additional one that day with your daily CD with 10 ghost iron bars. The first stage of weapons all take 5 Lightning Ingots and 5 Living steel to make the 463 blues so it will take 3 more days to make the first weapon!

Now.. Here is the kicker and most important thing you should discuss with either your customers or your guild / raider friends. Each progression of making the weapon is exponentially more time and gold invested to make!

First weapon 5 Lightning Ingots. Then you get the plans for the next upgrade of that weapon series!

Next upgrade of that Series 10 Lightning Ingots.. Thats right.. 10 more days of making Ingots!

3rd upgrade and final of that weapon series 15 Lightning Ingots !!!!

So with daily cool downs your looking at 1 month or 29 days to make the first fully upgraded weapon of that line! It would be unfeasible for someone to try to make all the first types of weapons as you would be a long time with a very expensive set of heroic grade blues that would only sell to someone who liked mogs that much.

This is also where the need for the Living steel comes in as it takes just as much Living steel per weapon as it dose Lightning ingots.. the ghost iron bars that it takes is minuscule.

#4 Now getting back to the " If it takes so long and even then you don't need that much ghost iron why would it increase in price for this expansion?" Well my friends that is also the part of why lower level ores will increase and be hard to farm as well!
There will be a lot of people that either will be wanting to have a 90 Blacksmith for this patch or even people like my self that will want multiple Blacksmiths. So there will be those dropping professions or changing them and leveling blacksmiths!
I'm sure you have read and everyone speculating and complaining about the new " Catch up system" for leveling blacksmiths. Yes this is true.. they do have it and for the most part you can make forks and spoons to level from 1 to 500 in one spot. All you have to do is feed the blacksmith supply and trainer in your factions shrine about 130 or more " STACKS " of ghost iron Bars!!!!! Thats right ! thats about 1.3 Guild bank tabs full of 20 stacks of bars.
I personally Confirmed this by dropping my skinning on my hunter and leveling blacksmiths to 500 in the shrine. Needless to say i burned up all my character transfers doing so in order to transfer enough bars over to PTR. Even then you are going to need to make a few more items and buy a contender patter to finish up to 600 just like you do the old fashion way past 500.
Blizz specifically quoted in the 5.2 patch notes about the new catch up system being convenient but not necessarily " economical" and they ment it !!
So this in it's self will make for a big boom in the ghost iron bar market specifically for those that can afford it and those that get so far in and go OOOO S@#$ !! and then they go farm and buy lower level ores to finish out their blacksmiths.
This boom will most likely be short lived and within 2 weeks or so will wither out till the forge is unlocked due to market flooding and such. When the forge area is unlocked there will probably be another even shorter boom in the ghost iron bar market but that will be short lived.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
For alchemists the living steel market will be at a premium as is will take them the same amount of time to make the living steel as it will take the blacksmiths to make the Lightning Ingots.

Also there will be a boost in the trillium ore not only due to the demand created by blacksmiths and jewel crafters, But there is also a quest line that requires 2 stacks of trillium ore that is for everyone, Not just for the ore professions.

A few side notes on the topics above.
You have a chance to learn a new pattern every time you make another Lightning Ingot.

Lightning Ingots are soul bound!

The new PvP crafted Dreadful gear ilvl 458 is discovered by crafting Ingots

There are additional patterns that are not disclosed yet that you may also learn in this fashion.

The Crafted Legendary weapons are Boe so they are tradeable!

You will need Spirits of Harmony to craft these Weapons as well.

In PtR the engineering craft mats also share a CD with the Lightning Ingots so you may not want to put BS on your engineer due to the fact that you may not be able to make both on the same day!!

I could not remember the name of the mini boss that drops the quest item at the time i wrote this post but will edit the post later after i jot some notes down with more info.
Anyone that has more or good confirmed information on this topic i would love to hear it and help our community be ready for the new patch!
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
New update!!!! I just made another Lightning Ingot and got the plans for Haunted Steel Headgear Ilvl 522 !!! and it takes a completely new mat. The recipe calls for 8 living steel 3 spirits of Harmony and 8 Haunting Spirit.

No information about this new mat being soul bound or otherwise but that is what it is for now in ptr!
Edited by Itybit on 3/1/2013 12:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
New update!!!! I just made another Lightning Ingot and got the plans for Haunted Steel Headgear Ilvl 522 !!! and it takes a completely new mat. The recipe calls for 8 living steel 3 spirits of Harmony and 8 Haunting Spirit.

No information about this new mat being soul bound or otherwise but that is what it is for now in ptr!

My guess is that Haunting Spirits are going to be the 5.2 equivalent of Blood Spirits, from disenchanting raid drops.

Thanks for putting this overview together! Very helpful to have everything laid out in one location.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Yes, Haunting spirits are the new blood spirits and they are collected the same way.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
I have not seen proof one way or the other so far as to if they are soul bound but it dose look like the new version of the blood spirits.. Oh and you can now buy blood spirits for 400 valor from the vendor on the isle so i wouldn't be holding any stock of them at current prices. They will most likely plumit rapidly due to gold farmers and such being able to buy 2 of these per week per toon.

As far as how you get this new mat i have not read anything and I did try disenchanting one tier 15 522 set piece and only got a sha crystal. This may be intentional on Blizzes part as the mat in the recipe is grayed out and you cant even link it. Just a new graphic icon and a description of it.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
03/01/2013 12:32 PMPosted by Itybit
Also there will be a boost in the trillium ore not only due to the demand created by blacksmiths and jewel crafters, But there is also a quest line that requires 2 stacks of trillium ore that is for everyone, Not just for the ore professions.

Do you mean the Black Trillium ore?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The legendary questline requires 40 trillium bars not either ore.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
03/01/2013 07:39 PMPosted by Wilhelm
The legendary questline requires 40 trillium bars not either ore.

Thanks, I have that in the bank
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
That may have been info I either misread or they changed. I thought it had said 40 ore but it could have been bar as well.. but that just means an even larger demand if thats the case. As patch day grows closer it seems that they are finalizing and fitting in more information than was available previously. I had learned patterns with names that were blank and did not show up in my professions tab. but then today i get the complete recipe for an epic raid level item. I feel as though the next few days will be almost exactly what we see on patch day.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
Additional update to the Haunting Spirit mat. I just de'd a set of 522 raid drops and got 8 haunting spirits and made my first 522 helm. They are not soul bound as I obtained these on a premade toon then mailed them to my blacksmith.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
The bit about Trillium bars is interesting---that means that alchemists will be selling part of their transmutes as Trillium rather than using it for Living Steel---which might help prop up the prices of both.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
03/04/2013 12:49 PMPosted by Zemocrates
The bit about Trillium bars is interesting---that means that alchemists will be selling part of their transmutes as Trillium rather than using it for Living Steel---which might help prop up the prices of both.

Trillium transmute doesn't use the daily cooldown, so Alchemists can transmute as much trillium as they want without impacting their Living Steel production.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I think its a good time to transfer my alchemist to the horde side...lol
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Thanks for the information just wanted to know do you have participate to a certain level in the unlocking? or can you just do the quests for the and unlock the ingot cooldown?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]