MW pvp healing 0 casts...Working as intended?

90 Blood Elf Monk
tl;dr mw in 488 pve gear can survive and kill rogues in pvp gear without casting (excluding instant casts) ONCE... seems broken

WARNING: Mature language, don't watch if you're prone to mental scarring from numerous F-bombs.
http://youtu.be/rzT4geFRgXk

First, when i refer to cast, i mean having to stop and channel/charge up a spell, instant casts like healing sphere i dont really refer to as casts.

Above is a crudely made video from last night after raids. I was arguing with one of the rogues in the video's that mistweaver are stupid easy to kill in pvp (going off the assumption they were using soothing mist a lot, since i dont pvp anymore, and that's what i was told MW healing strategy was). I told the rogue to duel me on my mistweaver (which i benched for a resto shaman) to duel me so i could show him how easy it is to kill us within one lockout. I tried to heal as i heard other MW's were healing like and would get locked out and killed in seconds. Then i switched to the healing method you see in the video. This is not a display of skill, simply a display of what i view as wildly broken mechanics.

Throughout the video i only cast one spell, during one duel, which was CJL since i was close to killing the mage, but was being kited.

The rogues had ~70% epic pvp gear, the rest would be blue pvp gear. The mage and warlock had ~500 PvE ilvl. Neither me nor the mage and warlock have a lot of PvP experience, however, the rogues pvp frequently. At some point throughout the movie i inspect both rogues in their gear.

I am not super experienced in PvP as a mistweaver, but being able to survive without giving dps an opportunity to lock me out (outside of stuns/blanket silence) once seems very very broken.

I invite experience pvp mistweavers to discuss this video, perhaps explanations as to why this worked (not in bg's, therefor no healing debuff?), and maybe why i've heard of no mistweavers trying out this method of healing?

edit: i accidentally show the first duel twice
Edited by Imgandiloljk on 2/21/2013 2:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
15 Human Mage
Most DPS have to much self healing to kill as a healer. I've killed rogues in bgs solo as a MW but I out geared them.

I duno why you've never heard of MWs healing themselves with healing spheres. That's your main PvP healing spell. Anyone who thinks MWs are easy to kill is not as experienced in PvP as they think they are. They are one of the hardest healers to kill, especially in a 1v1.

It is not overpowered in group PvP. If there are multiple geared and competent DPS on you you are still going to die without help. Also spamming healing spheres on yourself to counter multiple DPS runs you out of mana quickly.

Also, MW are one of the strongest anti melee healers as you have many abilities to counter melee (including a disarm and root/snare). Add dematerialize onto that and MW are easily the strongest healer to go toe to toe with a rogue. Edit: Or anyone who decides to stun you ignoring dematerialize. DPS often help me more then they hurt me when they stun me when dematerialize is up. Especially when they pop a short duration stun (or one when DR are partially in affect) so that they've essentially made me immune for the duration of their stun.

Maybe your friend thought MW were easy kills because there just aren't very many of us so he hasn't seen a MW that knows how to play before.
Edited by Irate on 2/21/2013 3:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Mistweavers aren't easy to kill. They're easy to lock down. Fears and silences work entirely too well on them.

Also... Any dps that can kill a healer 1v1 is playing perfectly, the healer isn't playing seriously, or the dps outgears them significantly. That's part of the reason blizzard doesn't balance around 1v1. Not enough leeway.

Anyone who immediately focuses the mistweaver in arena is stupid unless you have a nonstun cc chain to put in place.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
02/21/2013 03:42 PMPosted by Irate
Maybe your friend thought MW were easy kills because there just aren't very many of us so he hasn't seen a MW that knows how to play before.

He thought they were hard kills, i thought they were easy kills because i was told they were primarily using soothing mist, which i thought was odd since it's so easy to lock MW's out when they use soothing mist.

Also spamming healing spheres on yourself to counter multiple DPS runs you out of mana quickly.

It's our most efficient method of healing when it's serious pressure, unless you are able to do a fast soothing into an enveloping mist and canceling your cast before you get kicked. There is no other spell for use to use during high damage other than surging mist, which is probably 20% the efficiency of healing spheres.

Either ways, why is this an acceptable method of healing? pure instant cast heals being the most efficient makes no sense.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
02/21/2013 04:02 PMPosted by Keirisonis
Also... Any dps that can kill a healer 1v1 is playing perfectly, the healer isn't playing seriously, or the dps outgears them significantly. That's part of the reason blizzard doesn't balance around 1v1. Not enough leeway.

What about the parts in my movie where (i think 3 times over some of the duels) i would be at 1% and heal back to full in 5 seconds off of instant cast heals once the cc chain was over? With pvp gear surely i could survive through a 10 second chain if my dps is appropriately peeling? Not to mention if melee are on me i can disarm during the CC+burst, and if it's a caster i can either roll into LoS or just roll towards them and blanket silence them.

Also if MW are so OP why is the first MW i see at 1800 (in my battlegroup)?
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Shaman
02/21/2013 04:10 PMPosted by Imgandiloljk
Wha? Lol? The only person who is even implying Mistweavers are OP in this whole thread is you.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
02/21/2013 04:23 PMPosted by Kangamooster
Wha? Lol? The only person who is even implying Mistweavers are OP in this whole thread is you.

me: +1

Anyone who thinks MWs are easy to kill is not as experienced in PvP as they think they are.

+1

Mistweavers aren't easy to kill. They're easy to lock down.

+1/2
Reply Quote
15 Human Mage

He thought they were hard kills, i thought they were easy kills because i was told they were primarily using soothing mist, which i thought was odd since it's so easy to lock MW's out when they use soothing mist.

Also spamming healing spheres on yourself to counter multiple DPS runs you out of mana quickly.

It's our most efficient method of healing when it's serious pressure, unless you are able to do a fast soothing into an enveloping mist and canceling your cast before you get kicked. There is no other spell for use to use during high damage other than surging mist, which is probably 20% the efficiency of healing spheres.

Either ways, why is this an acceptable method of healing? pure instant cast heals being the most efficient makes no sense.

With pvp gear surely i could survive through a 10 second chain if my dps is appropriately peeling?

Efficient as it may be stand there spamming healing spheres endlessly and see how long it takes to go OOM. They also generate no chi. (Edit: You can also pressure a monk into having to use healing spheres quite easily compared to say a holy paladin that has more efficient instant casts when they aren't forced to use something else)

If you did rated bgs as any healer you would see how amazingly fast people can die to well coordinated focus fire. Your DPS can only do so much to protect you. In RBGs people even do aoe CC combos so the DPS you want to help save you might be cced themselves when you're being focused. You can die MUCH faster than 10 seconds even in full PvP gear. It's almost unreal how much CC i get hit with in a rated BG. Even healing sphere spam can not save you against coordinated teams in group PvP. My mobility using chi torpedo and celerity saves me as often as healing spheres do. Also diffuse magic.

I do admit I can survive some situations as a monk without help that I likely couldn't as some other healing classes due to my mobility and healing spheres. Some healers are more dependent on their team mates to escape/survive than others.

Healing spheres are undeniably strong in PvP, but I don't think they are overpowered. MW are not immortal in group PvP and this game isn't balanced around 1v1.
Edited by Irate on 2/21/2013 4:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Uuuum, monks are immune to dmg for a few seconds when stunned. Rogues rely on stuns.

I kill rogues easily on my disc priest. Doesn't mean we need a pvp nerf, not by a long shot. Some classes beat other classes.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
02/21/2013 04:48 PMPosted by Irate
In RBGs

well yah... having 2-3 times as many people to CC you will obviously pose as a challenge. But im just trying to think in 3v3. Strangulate + garrot, or any other back to back blanket silence will probably only add up to 10 seconds. And again, i havn't pvp'd a lot this expansion, but i dont think a healer as mobile, with a disarm and silence, can die to 2 dps in 10 seconds with pvp gear on. In RBG's im sure it's a different story.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Uuuum, monks are immune to dmg for a few seconds when stunned. Rogues rely on stuns.

I kill rogues easily on my disc priest. Doesn't mean we need a pvp nerf, not by a long shot. Some classes beat other classes.

did it with a warlock and mage... if i cared enough i'd prob try to test it with every class. The mage duel i believe i got stunned, into blanket silence, into another silence (blood elf). I was at 1% and healed back to full in 5 seconds after surviving that CC lock. I'd imagine if i were in pvp gear, and in a 3v3, the result wouldn't be that different since my dps could help peel.
Reply Quote
15 Human Mage
I can't really speak for MWs in arena because I have not done arena as a MW. I have read that MWs are actually weaker in arena then RBGs... but I'm not sure why that is.

I also wanted to add incase someone new to MW reads this thread and gets the wrong idea, you actually use more then just healing sphere in PvP. I use every single heal in my arsenal (even surging mist) in PvP. Healing sphere is my fallback go to heal. Probably my main heal on myself, but on other players it often is inconvenient to heal them with healing spheres if you can't find them right away or if they're moving awkwardly.

Then of course there's the times me and my warlock friend do this actually overpowered trick that involves hiding a pet and using soul link... and healing spheres do not proc on pets so I can't use them then! If you really want to see overpowered watch a warlock tank multiple people with 8 stacks in wsg as you hide on the roof out of combat spamming heals on their pet. No battle fatigue, can stop to drink whenever you want. It's neat.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
02/21/2013 05:18 PMPosted by Irate
Then of course there's the times me and my warlock friend do this actually overpowered trick that involves hiding a pet and using soul link... and healing spheres do not proc on pets so I can't use them then! If you really want to see overpowered watch a warlock tank multiple people with 8 stacks in wsg as you hide on the roof out of combat spamming heals on their pet. No battle fatigue, can stop to drink whenever you want. It's neat.

probably working as intended
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
If you play a rogue, change your playstyle against monks. For most classes you can do the same thing over and over again and kill them easily. After the first stun, you know MW can't be touched for 2.5 sec, after that go crazy. Patch 5.2 you will have an easier time killing them.
Edited by Nunsense on 2/22/2013 5:14 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]