Guardian Druid here, Tanking tips?

100 Tauren Druid
What stat do I prioritize as a Guardian?

How often am I supposed to use Maul?

Is it more important to use SD or FR? SD against melee/physical and SR against magic?

Any general tips for holding aggro and usage of spells would be great as well.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh, and is there anything Guardians do better than other Tanks?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6412404169
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/25/2013 10:53 PMPosted by Unbeatabull

I don't think I've seen anyone be a bear quite as well as one of you.

Not even pandas.

(More seriously, the linked guide is good. It has what you're looking for.)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid

/dance

Bears dance better than other tanks.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/26/2013 07:05 AMPosted by Ajaks

Hey, now.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/26/2013 07:09 AMPosted by Chuin

Hey, now.

Bears dance better. Don't even try, Pretender.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
02/26/2013 07:13 AMPosted by Ri

Hey, now.

Bears dance better. Don't even try, Pretender.

Giggle.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
What stat do I prioritize as a Guardian?

Either

Hit (7.5%) > Expertise (15%) > Crit > Haste >>> Mastery > Dodge.

Or

Crit > Hit/Expertise (until comfortable) > Haste >>> Mastery > Dodge.

Essentially get comfortable with your rage generation so you can keep up your active mitigation abilities. Crit will give you more rage if the RNG gods love you. Hit/expertise caps give you a steady generation, allowing you to comfortably keep up stuff and allows you to predict when you can use certain abilities, moving straight into:

How often am I supposed to use Maul?

Anytime in 5man dungeons, when you are not tanking in raids, when you close to 100 rage and Savage Defense is up, or when the damage is not dodgeable and you do not need an immediate heal (>80% health or so).

Is it more important to use SD or FR? SD against melee/physical and SR against magic?

SD when the damage is dodgeable. Bleeds are physical damage and cannot be dodged, so you use FR here (ie, Stone Guard in MSV). Other wise, yes. SD on melee damage and FR on magic damage. Also use FR when you are in immediate danger of dying to bring yourself back up.

Any general tips for holding aggro

Attaining Hit and Expertise caps will help this immensely. Other wise utilizing Mangle every single time it is available, and Swipe > Thrash > Swipe (although I'm bad and have a macro for Thrash > Swipe > Swipe) will do for AoE. Remember Lacerate damage is front loaded (big hit when it connects, and a small bleed after).

usage of spells would be great as well

You use Mangle to generate rage. Lacerate, Thrash and Faerie Fire will reset the cool down on Mangle. Your melee crits will also generate rage. You use this rage to keep up Savage Defense to deal with dodgeable damage, or to heal up with Frenzied Regeneration.

Thrash applies Weakened Blows and you want to keep it up to as close to 100% uptime while not clipping it. ie, Mangle > Thrash > Faerie Fire > Lacerate

We take large hits to the face better than other tanks. We also have the option to take Heart of the Wild for 45 seconds of very high DPS or very powerful heals (particularly with Tranquility). We are also very mobile and have the tools to kite fairly well (speed boosts, Vortex/Typhoon, etc).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]