Preist rp question

Are the powers of a shadow preist similar to a ghosts? It just seems that way when they're in shadow form so I was just wondering if it lets you, lore wise I mean not game wise, to pass through walls and maybe not turn invisible but travel through shadows or something like that?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
A shadow priest uses shadow magic, which is a form of fel magic. It is very corrupting, unlike ghosts who use a form of necrotic shadow energy priests use the same form of fel-shadow energy that warlocks use.

Shadow-form is a means to cover their entire body in shadow energy to help give them more power. It does not turn them into a shadow, but rather gives them a shadowy look because of the amount of shadow energy coursing over/through their bodies.
Edited by Ratheron on 2/27/2013 10:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
02/27/2013 10:22 AMPosted by Ratheron
A shadow priest uses shadow magic, which is a form of fel magic. It is very corrupting, unlike ghosts who use a form of necrotic shadow energy priests use the same form of fel-shadow energy that warlocks use.

Uhm, no.

Shadow Priest magic is divine in origin and not the domain of the fel. And the form of energy ghosts use, necromantic driven, is actually a form of fel magic.

The abilities of a Shadow Priest function in the domain of the mind. They assault foes psychic, diminishing them until they end up dying from the concentrated assault. It's not really gone into beyond that, though, so you could have it where a Shadow Priest makes people think they're invisible or that they've passed through a wall or that they vanished into the shadows to reappear further along.

But they can't actually do those things.
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter

Shadow-form is a means to cover their entire body in shadow energy to help give them more power. It does not turn them into a shadow, but rather gives them a shadowy look because of the amount of shadow energy coursing over/through their bodies.

Shadow magic has nothing to do with Fel magic. It is divine.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion on how it works.
As far as how their powers work I like to think that they make your own mind kill you. Shadowform make you take on kind of appearance that unnerving to people who see it like for some it make take the form of a person or thing they are afraid of. That may be the reason that your mind attacks do more damage and less damage comes to you because they are unnerved by the appearance. Mind Flay, Mind Blast, Mind Spike, Shadow Word: Pain I believe attacks the minds to the point that it makes you think you are actually getting hit with something. Perhaps what you fear to get hit with. That's just my take on it.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage

No it's not either.

There are two types of shadow magic. The divine type - wielded by Shadow Priests and the Fel-type wielded by Shadow Mages and warlocks.
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
02/27/2013 11:40 AMPosted by Iraelius

No it's not either.

There are two types of shadow magic. The divine type - wielded by Shadow Priests and the Fel-type wielded by Shadow Mages and warlocks.

Yes it is. Only in the RPG does the Fel type of Shadow magic exist. In the game they classify it as a Divine type.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Mage
02/27/2013 12:39 PMPosted by Hammerlóck

No it's not either.

Yes it is. Only in the RPG does the Fel type of Shadow magic exist. In the game they classify it as a Divine type.

Uhm, no.

There is Divine Shadow, then there is Fel Shadow.

Unless you're now saying warlocks wield divine magic.
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
02/27/2013 02:04 PMPosted by Shadowark
Im the only priest in this thread... O.o

I could start posting on my Priest if you prefer.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
With out Light, there is no Shadow

With out Shadow, there is no light.

Shadow magic from a Shadow Priest is usual divine in origin, it has no connection to fel magic. Of course, there are probably other types of Shadow magic, but one used by Shadow Priests have no connection to Fel in any way, shape, or form.

One could also say that shadow magic comes from the void, or at least i think so.
Reply Quote
10 Worgen Druid
See this is what irks me. The rpg books have all this cool lore and information to fill in the blanks on so many question than Blizzard comes along and ret-cons it all. Like really? now we are back to square one.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Well to be fair, the rpg books were not meant to be taken as the in game lore. They were meant as entertainment in a board game or D&D setting. That is not in game. They have some lore in them because of the setting of Azeroth, but the majority of people kept trying to use the elements of the D&D game as in game. And they do not always match up.

All the lore changing and retconning by Blizzard itself makes all these points kind of moot anyway. Really if you have a lore based question, and you do not have time or energy to search out the lore sources on the forums and Blizzard books, asking in here just opens a can of worms for people to argue about.

There are sources, official sources, and word of mouth by people who are veteran rpers. Sometimes they each will say something a bit different. Best to keep it kind of basic and do not try to go all out and make something out of any rp that is not totally supported by "in game" lore.

To be honest, if someone is going to be nit-picky I just say " ok fine " and walk away. It is not worth arguing over.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]