Holy Priest PvP- RBG & BG Guide 5.4 UPDATED!

90 Goblin Priest
I've been reforging for Haste to reduce my GCD and go for the extra ticks on Renew and Hymn. My Flash Heal is down to 1.4 Seconds. What are your thoughts on that? I'd be interested to know what you think.

I'd stack haste solely for additional ticks (i.e. I wouldn't aim for a specific cast time on Flash Heal). However, I wouldn't stack haste at the expense of mana regeneration.

One more thing to note about Holy - Guardian Spirit. Even though it is buggy, it is still worth casting because while it is active, it increases healing on the target by 60%. Pretty Fab! I've saved myself many times just using it for the extra healing buff.

I miss the days when it would bring you from 0% to 100% after sacrificing itself during Cataclysm.

/cast Chakra: Chastise
/cast Chastise

If all you're wanting to do is use Chastise, I'd simply use this macro so the Chakra cooldown isn't incurred (even though it's only 5 seconds, that could mean the difference between living or dying):

/cancelaura Chakra: Serenity
/cancelaura Chakra: Sanctuary
/cast Holy Word: Chastise

I'd only ever consider Chakra: Chastise in 2v2 arena, certainly not RBGs.

How are you liking stance-dancing since the Chakra change? I think it's pretty fun. It's interesting and opens up so many options!

How does focused will feel to you? Feels like a warm cuddly blanket to me!

I'm still used to playing with 30 second Chakra cooldowns, so I haven't quite gotten used to "stance dancing". I love having Focused Will, although I still feel like I need to maintain at least 66% resilience.

BTW I use the stun duration reduction metagem it helps a lot. I would recommend gemming that instead of the int or spirit metas for PVP in MOP because stuns are ridiculous atm.

I'd rather haveRevitalizing Primal Diamond, personally. If orcs could be priests I'd more than likely change to a stun reducing meta (25% reduced duration is more noticeable than 10%), but sadly they cant.

Stance dancing chakras

I think stance dancing for Holy Priests is going to be crucial in the coming season, funny how much the dynamics of Holy Priests could change with the simple reduction in Chakra cooldowns.

I would probably include a focus version of the red chakra/chastise macro so I can interrupt a focus target (i.e. healers) every 30 seconds...

I would just do a cancelaura macro and use Chastise, that way you don't incur the Chakra cooldown.

/cancelaura Chakra: Serenity
/cancelaura Chakra: Sanctuary
/cast [target=focus] Holy Word: Chastise

Since you didn't change Chakra states, you only removed it, you can instantly jump into Serenity or Sanctuary.

Has anyone tried out Binding Heal glyph yet, or reforging mastery? That's next on my to try list.

While I don't think the Glyph of Binding Heal is necessarily "bad", I just prefer other glyph selections. I haven't specifically reforged for maximum mastery; once I have 6% spell hit and spirit is on every piece of gear, then and only then do I reforge to mastery (sitting at around 15% right now).

Amazing guide!, and do you guys use inner will or inner fire for rbgs?, what are you guys reforging? i see most holy pvp priests reforging mastery but i feel with all crit i can top ppl off with just a pom+serenity,thanks in advance

You use Inner Fire when getting trained by more than one dps, otherwise you want to stay in Inner Will so you don't run out of mana. If I'm getting peels or support from other healers, I generally stay in Inner Will, it really depends on how much support you're getting in conjunction with how much pressure the enemy is giving you.

I prefer consistency and dislike randomness, so I opt for mastery. Think of it this way: critical strike is based on luck, and when luck strikes it can be game changing, whereas mastery is based on consistency, and you can always rely on it to provide results despite it not being as noticeable as critical strike. Haste is very much like mastery, but only at certain cutoff points, so unless you can reach those cutoff points it's not as powerful as mastery.

03/16/2013 09:20 PMPosted by Flaxxen
Mana is an issue, I'm trying Solace, but meh, though it often heals for more than it hits.

If you use it every time it comes off cooldown, it can definitely assist with your mana regeneration. I generally drink whenever I can afford to, and if a fight is going on and I'm about to run out of mana I will pop Shadowfiend, line of sight, and cast Hymn of Hope (it increases your mana by 15%, and the mana return from Shadowfiend is based on your mana pool, ergo Hymn of Hope increases the amount of mana Shadowfiend generates, and that's not considering the mana Hymn of Hope returns on its own).

03/17/2013 08:01 AMPosted by Xpotiom
Personally, I roll with desperate prayer over bullwark as well, the 30% heal is on demand. I like things being on demand.

I would only argue that Angelic Bulwark is a life saver when your stuck in a chain of crowd control getting killed and can't cast Desperate Prayer (I explain in greater detail why I prefer AB over DP in my previous post).

I really like the PoM glyph but I noticed a lot of people aren't taking it. With PoM+Serenity hitting so hard it seemed like a great choice. I guess I just need to spend some more testing out the "tanking" glpyhs to see if they are needed with my team. I definately see the use in them.

I use Glyph of Prayer of Mending too. If you're going to try some of our more defensive glyphs, I'd say Glyph of Fade is a stronger choice than Inner Sanctum, for multiple reasons:

1) Fade will provide 10% damage reduction against all sources whether you're using Inner Will or Inner Fire.
2) Inner Sanctum only provides 6% damage reduction against spells and you must be using Inner Fire for this to take in effect; furthermore, you don't want to be in Inner Fire to an extended period of time as it will put a significant drain on your mana.
3) Fade lasts for 10 seconds, which will cover the duration for most burst cooldowns, and you may not even have to switch to Inner Fire if you only have casters hitting you.

What glyphs do you see other holy priests taking? I've seen a couple top disc priests taking PoM glyph so I'm surprised holy priests wouldn't be taking it. Pom+HW:S is a pretty nasty combo on a 10-second CD.

I think you also have to consider their roles and the kind of PvP content they're participating in. A lot of Priests will use Glyph of Mass Dispel for cleaning off enemies/teammates in RBGs, or may use it for Mage Iceblocks/Paladin Bubbles in Arenas. Glyph of Shadow Word: Death is strong for avoiding crowd control, in both BGs and Arenas. When you consider the glyphs they need for their circumstances, they may omit Glyph of Prayer of Mending simply because they must use other glyphs.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
@Rilaks->lightspring can heal through LoS. I didn't even fully read OP didn't realize sanctuary increased divine hymn heals, guess my 35mil rbg healing may increase even more :)

I'm definitely going to try that glyph then, almost sounds too good to be true :)
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
Hmm that's an interesting argument you have there for fade glyph being stronger than sanctum but the one issue I have with that argument is fade being on the GCD. Generally as holy with all the instants we have I think it would be worth it to put PW:S, PoM, HW:S, and DS on CD before using fade.

For using chastise I use the same macro you posted. Absolutely awesome for setting up fears in arena and RBGs. I rarely go dps or sanctuary chakras so that 4pc really has no effect unless you're swapping to it for DS/CoH/DH.

As for bulwark vs the heal, once again the GCD can be an issue. If you're stunned/silenced bulwark procs. You can't cast that heal if stunned/silenced :P

I'd love to be able to *always* stay in inner will. From watching some disc priests stream 3s it seems like they always stay in it, but idk if I have the gear for that.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Hmm that's an interesting argument you have there for fade glyph being stronger than sanctum but the one issue I have with that argument is fade being on the GCD. Generally as holy with all the instants we have I think it would be worth it to put PW:S, PoM, HW:S, and DS on CD before using fade.

By that logic, Inner Sanctum is on the GCD because you have to switch to Inner Fire :)

I rarely go dps or sanctuary chakras so that 4pc really has no effect unless you're swapping to it for DS/CoH/DH.

I think "stance dancing" between Serenity and Sanctuary will be crucial for competitive gameplay.

As for bulwark vs the heal, once again the GCD can be an issue. If you're stunned/silenced bulwark procs. You can't cast that heal if stunned/silenced :P

Yeah, I'm for Angelic Bulwark for the simple reason being that dps will intentionally chain-cc me once my health gets that low, at which point Desperate Prayer becomes useless. Angelic Bulwark can buy me enough time for the cc-chain to expire and top myself off.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Here's some information regarding which heals are affected by Chakra: Serenity, Chakra: Sanctuary, and what isn't affected by either:

Chakra: Serenity -
  • Renew
  • Rapid Renewal
  • Heal
  • Binding Heal
  • Flash Heal
  • Greater Heal
  • Chakra: Sanctuary -
  • Prayer of Mending
  • Circle of Healing
  • Divine Star
  • Cascade
  • Halo
  • Divine Hymn
  • Unaffected -
  • Glyph of Power Word: Shield
  • Lightwell/Lightspring (Unverified)
  • Mastery: Echo of Light (Unverified)
  • Guardian Spirit Sacrifice (Unverified)
  • Edited by Rilaks on 3/18/2013 11:55 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Priest
    Here's a macro to buff your COH cd from 10s to 8s... use this macro in place of your regular COH keybind.

/cast chakra: sanctuary
    /cast Circle of Healing
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest
    Thank you all for your contributions! I've been slowly updating the guide in certain places and looking at glyph selections once again, I'm testing all sorts of things in RBG this season. I'll be adding some of your macros and info as well hope you don't mind! A lot of the questions have already been answered by my fellow Priest, thank you for doing so! If anyone has others, feel free to battletag message me Love#1604 just specify you're from the forum. It's a lot easier for me to respond this way.
    Reply Quote
    100 Blood Elf Priest
    I'm not much of a PvP'r, but I am currently trying to farm some honor/conquest. Some thoughts:

Phantasm. I generally take this on the presumption that I'm much more concerned about not being slow than being fast. If you want to run away from me... go right ahead. I'm not going to chase you - that's job of the guy with the big axe. Unlike me, he's not going to round a corner and find himself focus'd down in an eyeblink - because I'm 30 yards behind him (conveniently out-of-range of those attacks) with an avalanche of healing available to keep him alive.

On the other hand, I am in constant motion. The first step to killing me is to stop me from moving, so I really want to be able to prevent that.

It really comes down to the truth that I can't outrun anyone who wants to kill me. Everyone else has either speed debuffs or movement buffs I simply can't match. The best I can do is try to limp my way towards some help. Phantasm helps me do that. Body and Soul helps me run low level raids a bit more quickly.

Solace. I have this mainly for PvE purposes, but it's pretty good for PvP as well.

Desperate Prayer. This entire tier is garbage. I've got glyph'd ProM + Renew + Holy Spark'd Serenity + Holy Fire all as instants on a 10 sec CD. I really don't need another way of instantly healing that only affects myself for rather paltry amounts. The shielding is nice, but if I'm that low on life I'm probably stunned, feared, silenced and about to die no matter what happens. I'm not consoled by the fact that some Rogue had to spend 5 more energy to finish the job.

Spirit of Redemption. A large percentage of my deaths come from other players deciding to run off because they thought they saw someone somewhere over that hill there. So much of the time when this comes up, I have no one in range/line-of-sight to cast the heals on anyway.

Stats. I rate Mastery as worst stat because I use a ton of Renew. Even if I didn't, it's merely equivalent to critical most of the time. However, my gearing tends to be more PvE-oriented even in PvP gear, so YMMV. I don't tend to gear Spirit since any battle where I run out of mana is one where we're thoroughly winning because the opposition didn't bother to focus the healer. Note: Spirit is the right choice for a skilled healer in RBGs in my opinion. Let's not be confused about that. I'm just making an observation about a bad healer in non-rated BGs who can't depend on his team being awake much less marginally competent.

Void Shift. In PvE, this is a great effect. In PvP, I find it not worth using. If one of my allies is taking so much damage that I need to use Void Shift to save them, I'm in the proximity of a volume of damage so great that dropping to 20% health means I'm almost certainly dead. So using Void Shift is like sacrificing your queen to gain a pawn. There are reasons a good player could come up with to do it. If you're a scrub like me, it's best to just forget the option exists.

Interrupt Bar. In the grand scheme of things, I should probably pay attention to this sort of information. But in reality, I simply don't care. The only time I hard-cast spells in PvP is when someone is about to die. At which point the calculus becomes real clear. I can (a) not cast a spell and they die or (b) cast a spell and potentially get interrupted. At no point does the availability of opponent's interrupts matter in this decision.

Inner Will/Fire Switching. I use the same macro, but I also bind my Alchemist's Flask to it since I always forget otherwise.

Chakra Macros. I do not believe these work. There is a slight lag between activating a Chakra and the Holy Word becoming available so you'll frequently get "you cannot cast this spell" because you're trying to cast Serenity but the game hasn't yet caught up to the fact that you're not in Chastise any more.

Also, if I was to bind Chakras in this fashion (no 4p atm), I'd probably bind Chastise to Holy Fire/SW:D/SW:P, Serenity/Renew, Sanctuary/Circle of Healing.

I'm not sure if the lag time would affect this as well - about the only truly safe way to do these macros would be with cast-time spells (Flash Heal, Prayer of Healing and Smite, I suppose) - but then you'd almost never switch Chakras.
    Edited by Medeyn on 3/18/2013 4:20 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Goblin Priest
    Ideal haste rating in full Tyrannical: 4,721 (11.11%)

The next cutoff point for haste after that is 7,425 (17.47%) and all it does besides increase casting speed is add 1 tick to Holy Word: Sanctuary, so it's not particularly worth it since it would come at the expense of spirit at that point.

Link for haste cutoff points:
    http://talesofapriest.com/resources/haste-breakpoints/

After reaching your desired cutoff point, the next stat in line for consideration should be mastery; unlike critical strike it isn't randomly beneficial.
    Edited by Rilaks on 3/19/2013 5:03 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    100 Blood Elf Priest
    Ideal haste rating in full Tyrannical: 4,721 (11.11%)

The next cutoff point for haste after that is 7,425 (17.47%) and all it does besides increase casting speed is add 1 tick to Holy Word: Sanctuary, so it's not particularly worth it since it would come at the expense of spirit at that point.

In BGs, raid buffs are not a given so it's probably best to shoot for the non-buffed haste breakpoints rather than lose your extra ticks when your Shadow Priest wanders off.

After reaching your desired cutoff point, the next stat in line for consideration should be mastery; unlike critical strike it isn't random and has a far better conversion rate.

1. Mastery only impacts part of your healing and omits your only significant spammable instacast (Renew).
    2. Mastery suffers greatly when death is an expected result since it gets wasted when a player dies. Upfront healing is far preferable.
    3. Mastery does not affect your offensive spells. While this is meaningless in PvE, it is important in PvP.
    Reply Quote
    90 Goblin Priest
    In BGs, raid buffs are not a given so it's probably best to shoot for the non-buffed haste breakpoints rather than lose your extra ticks when your Shadow Priest wanders off.

5,505 Haste Rating is ideally the most amount of haste you could reach in full Tyrannical gear, which would only provide 1 additional tick to Renew (if not glyphed) and 2 ticks to HW: Sanctuary if excluding raid buffs.

4,721 Haste Rating is my recommended minimum because when raid buffs are present it provides you with 1 tick to Glyphed Renew (or Non-Glyphed Renew), 3 ticks to HW: Sanctuary, and 1 tick to Lightwell/Lightspring.

The next cutoff point for solo is in the 7k range (the same goes for when raid buffed), so as far as an ideal range for haste goes: 4,242 to 5,316 haste rating.

1. Mastery only impacts part of your healing and omits your only significant spammable instacast (Renew).
    2. Mastery suffers greatly when death is an expected result since it gets wasted when a player dies. Upfront healing is far preferable.
    3. Mastery does not affect your offensive spells. While this is meaningless in PvE, it is important in PvP.

1. Echo of Light does not "omit" Renew.
    2. Every stat suffers greatly when death is an expected result, your logic is flawed.
    3. I'll simply refer you to the following numbers so you can see for yourself the insignificance of critical strike when haste, spirit, and resilience are taken into consideration:

5,350 Haste Rating (Solo) leaves 0.25 for either Critical Strike or Mastery.
    4,754 Haste Rating (Raid) leaves 1.57 for either Critical Strike or Mastery.

Obviously the first route would make either choice negligible. The second route, however, demonstrates which stat would provide greater results: 1.57% additional healing or 1.57% increased critical strike, the former having no possibility of RNG, whereas the latter is entirely RNG-based.

Furthermore, if you're going to use offensive spells in your rationale for recommending critical strike over mastery then I suggest you change specializations to Shadow.
    Reply Quote
    100 Gnome Priest
    Please explain how you are getting 20 - 30 million in heals in RBG's

The most I ever did was about 12 million.

What are you doing to get that?

(the feathers are awesome...)
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Priest

Well firstly, it depends on your opponents pressure/damage output if it's high, you should be able to heal within the 20-30 million range with ease (so long as you're at team fights). It could be your rotation, what are your most casted spells as Holy? Your gearing/gems seem to be good.
    Reply Quote
    100 Gnome Priest

Well firstly, it depends on your opponents pressure/damage output if it's high, you should be able to heal within the 20-30 million range with ease (so long as you're at team fights). It could be your rotation, what are your most casted spells as Holy? Your gearing/gems seem to be good.

I mostly use what you suggest....i guess you use renew + pom on all 8-9 players at all times plus the combination of other spells as they come up such as lightwell and DH etc...
    Reply Quote
    90 Goblin Priest
    03/19/2013 06:02 PMPosted by Gonnarheal

Smart use of Divine Hymn while in Chakra: Sanctuary (can easily amount to 1.15 million per use).
    Reply Quote
    90 Goblin Priest
    Tonight's the night that I try to convince our RBG leader to let me go holy. Wish me luck!

I think I am going to go with the following Glyphs for RBG:
    Renew - Quicker ticks will help those in trouble. More expensive to keep rolling on more people though.
    Lightspring - Smart automatic heals below 50% is nice
    PoM - Big initial heal to go along with Serenity

Talents:
    Void Tendrils - Trap people chasing flag
    BaS - Speed boost for FC or others on demand
    Solace - More mana and can still use shadowfiend
    Angelic Bulwark - Can't be dispelled and will auto protect me so others can heal me if CC'd. (hopefully)
    Twist of Fate - Chances are this will have a good uptime so the boost to healing will be good.
    Cascade - Expensive, but pretty solid heal with sanctuary.

Stats. I'm currently running Spirit>Mastery>Haste=Crit. I need to look at bumping up my haste basted on what was said in the thread earlier. I can re-enchant and reforge to gain more haste.

Thoughts?
    Reply Quote
    100 Blood Elf Priest
    03/19/2013 05:02 PMPosted by Rilaks
    1. Echo of Light does not "omit" Renew.

Echo of Light does not affect the periodic healing from Renew. Are you unaware of this or trying to split some semantic hair?

2. Every stat suffers greatly when death is an expected result, your logic is flawed.

No, they don't. With critical, haste and intellect you would have already gotten the healing and they may not have died. Since Echo of Light healing is delayed, all that mastery gets wasted if they die before it is consumed

Furthermore, if you're going to use offensive spells in your rationale for recommending critical strike over mastery then I suggest you change specializations to Shadow.

So when some 20% health guy is standing over there, you just ignore him rather than hammer him to death with instacasts? Sorry, but that's the most ridiculous thing you've said.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Priest

So when some 20% health guy is standing over there, you just ignore him rather than hammer him to death with instacasts? Sorry, but that's the most ridiculous thing you've said.

I wouldn't at the risk of stopping heals. I'd rely on my dps. Just sayin. I have Solace, and SW Death, both of which, even when combined, isn't going to take down a person at 20% HP. I've tried it and it seems to be wasted globals. Let the DPS do their jobs. I can see DPSing a low target as more of a priority in Arena than I do RBG. There's no hammering people with instacasts when they all have a CD.
    Reply Quote
    90 Goblin Priest
    Thoughts?

If you plan on reaching at least 4721 haste rating: Spirit > 4721 Haste > Mastery > Crit
    If you don't plan on reaching the above haste rating: Spirit > Mastery >= Haste > Crit

Echo of Light does not affect the periodic healing from Renew. Are you unaware of this or trying to split some semantic hair?

Echo of Light only affects direct healing spells, hence why Rapid Renewal benefits from Mastery, whereas Renew does not. The usage of "omit" can make what you said easily misinterpreted, that being said my intention was not to argue semantics.

However, I find it interesting that you would say "mastery only impacts part of your healing"; the implication being that mastery does not affect enough spells to warrant prioritizing it over critical strike. Based on that rationale, you might presume to think that our direct healing spells play as much of a "part" in our total healing done as mastery.

No, they don't. With critical, haste and intellect you would have already gotten the healing and they may not have died. Since Echo of Light healing is delayed, all that mastery gets wasted if they die before it is consumed

Did you just read what you typed?

Firstly, I don't know why you felt the need to include "intellect" and "haste" in your argument, as the only topic at hand is critical strike vs mastery.

Secondly, the keyword you used is more or less what I've been iterating all along: "may". Ergo, critical strike "may" occur, or rather it "may" provide you a beneficial effect. You can either choose a 1.25% increased chance to critically strike with a heal, or choose 1.25% additional healing from Echo of Light (a benefit that will ALWAYS occur).

Lastly, our passive critical strike is so low (even if you aim for critical strike after haste) it's not even worth stacking. Shoot, raiders don't even recommend critical strike as a practical stat for reforging.

There is a vast difference between using offensive spells when the situation calls for it and revolving your healer's design around dps spells. This isn't 2v2 arena (even then, with all the double dps teams it wouldn't matter), I'd recommend you read the title of this thread once more. If you have the time to dps in RBGs, then it really doesn't matter what stats you prioritize (spirit and resilience included).

I'll quote myself so we can both see (again) what it is that I "said".

Putting words in my mouth and misquoting me wont do anything to support your argument, it only makes people take you less seriously.

03/18/2013 04:17 PMPosted by Medeyn
    I'm not much of a PvP'r

Self-admittedly, you stated in your first post that you don't do that much PvP. I take no issue with you wanting to reforge in your own way, but please don't make ignorant recommendations towards others reading this thread seeking advice for Holy PvP.
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Priest
    Great post, i love holy priest.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]