Holy Priest PvP- RBG & BG Guide 5.4 UPDATED!

100 Blood Elf Priest
03/20/2013 05:33 PMPosted by Rilaks
However, I find it interesting that you would say "mastery only impacts part of your healing"; the implication being that mastery does not affect enough spells to warrant prioritizing it over critical strike. Based on that rationale, you might presume to think that our direct healing spells play as much of a "part" in our total healing done as mastery.

In a very rough sense, once you hit 20% "non-mastery" healing, critical becomes better. In practice, it becomes better long before then.

Now, in PvE, there's an argument to be made for emphasizing the direct cast heals. In PvP, it's nearly impossible to come up with any decent scheme for healing that doesn't include massive amounts of Renew. Every other instant cast heal you've got comes with a cooldown. Only Renew can be used on the move, uninterruptible and spammable.

Since Renew does not (significantly) benefit from Mastery, that's a considerable strike against Mastery.

Secondly, the keyword you used is more or less what I've been iterating all along: "may". Ergo, critical strike "may" occur, or rather it "may" provide you a beneficial effect. You can either choose a 1.25% increased chance to critically strike with a heal, or choose 1.25% additional healing from Echo of Light (a benefit that will ALWAYS occur).

A 1.25% chance your ally may not die is a hell of a lot better than a 100% chance that any Echo of Light on the ally after they're dead was a complete waste.

Little tip: when you say "I don't like crit, it's RNG", you're throwing up a red flag that you lack the education to grasp the mathematics at work. What seems like an intelligent, rational argument to you actually comes off as oblivious ignorance to people who do understand the math.

There is a vast difference between using offensive spells when the situation calls for it and revolving your healer's design around dps spells.

No, you revolve your healer's design around everything you cast, not just a portion of it.

Self-admittedly, you stated in your first post that you don't do that much PvP. I take no issue with you wanting to reforge in your own way, but please don't make ignorant recommendations towards others reading this thread seeking advice for Holy PvP.

What's really sad is that you actually think you're right on this. You're not. You're wrong. You've been wrong ever since they changed critical to 100%.

Admittedly, it's an angels-dancing-on-the-head situation where you can be wrong and get away with it since the difference between the worst stat for Holy and the second worst stat for Holy isn't very important. But your advice is almost entirely wrong for any type of Holy play.
Edited by Medeyn on 3/21/2013 5:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Had another very solid night of healing RBGs as Holy. I haven't reforged for haste yet, but I plan on getting to the extra tick of glyphed renew once I get some dailies done tomorrow.

Finished top healer in every BG we ran.

I'm having an issue on what to do as a healer when our tank gets stunned in a smoke bomb. What are you guys doing? Chargeing in, fear, and heal?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
I am still gearing up as a PvP Healer, but random BGs as Holy are going great. Hopefully I find myself a spot on an RBG team in the coming days once I am geared enough :D
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
wasn't this sticked at one point?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Had another very solid night of healing RBGs as Holy. I haven't reforged for haste yet, but I plan on getting to the extra tick of glyphed renew once I get some dailies done tomorrow.

I'm having an issue on what to do as a healer when our tank gets stunned in a smoke bomb. What are you guys doing? Chargeing in, fear, and heal?

Awesome, I'm glad Holy is working out for you! You can sometimes predict the bomb before it happens as long as you see your tank getting Kidney Shotted. Normally 8/10 times I'll immediately grip and they'll miss their bomb. If that fails yes run in Fear, PoM, HW:S, PW:S and Renew instants are always better incase he comes for a Blind after and attempts to Dance. It's also up to you, but if stacks are incredibly high, Void Shift may be the best option especially in something like Kotmogu.
Edited by Lovè on 3/22/2013 1:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Monk
I haven't been playing my priest much of late since I've been busy with school/work/sc2.

Here's the screenshot of an RBG I did a few hours ago on my holy priest. We lost the game because my team was terrible, but I broke 40 mil healing for the first time on any toon :)

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=10mv8co&s=6

And my priest's armory...gear is nothing special, currently re-forged for spirit/crit.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sargeras/Zeejii/simple
Edited by Gnomgnamstyl on 3/23/2013 3:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Great job Gnomgnamstyle! I believe my highest healing done was around 36 mill in an RBG, so wow 40 that's incredible. I've been seeing a lot more people in trade chat Tichondrius as Disc/Holy looking for RBG's, so we're making an impact! It's crazy seeing how many more Holy Priests I see in BG's compared to last season as well. I've been taking spirit/crit too, though I haven't changed my spec around at all lately probably going to get into haste for a bit. How is haste working out for the rest of you?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I'm still gearing for the first haste breakpoint. Love the lowered GCD cause I can fling all those instants out faster!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I found a few helpful tricks not mentioned yet from Bigbossman. He's an EU holy priest that's reached 2200 in arena last season if I'm not mistaken.

These are a couple macros from his thread:

The following macro will disable your active Chakra on the first click, cast Chastise on the second click, and go back to Chakra: Serenity on the third click.

#showtooltip holy word: chastise
/cancelaura Chakra: Serenity
/castsequence reset=4 Holy Word: Chastise, Chakra: Serenity

---------------------------------------------------

#showtooltip Flash Heal
/castsequence reset=20 Flash heal, Flash Heal, Greater Heal

Replace your Flash Heal with this macro. This will cast a Greater Heal instead of Flash Heal every time you have 2 Serendipity stacks.

Serendipity (2 stacks)
reduces the cast time of your next greater heal or prayer of healing by 40% and mana cost by 20%

Greater Heal goes from 17,700 mana and 2.38 cast time to 14,160 mana and 1.43 cast time which makes GH just as fast as a flash heal but cheaper in mana! ^_^

Here's his thread if anyone is interested:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5847925430
Edited by Ieafee on 3/27/2013 9:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Rogue
I prefer Mastery over Crit myself on Holy.

Holy is all about instant cast heals on short cooldowns. With 25% mastery, Echo does a fantastic job spanning the time between cooldowns. Mathematically, crit is devalued the more you have.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
The following macro will disable your active Chakra on the first click, cast Chastise on the second click, and go back to Chakra: Serenity on the third click.

#showtooltip holy word: chastise
/cancelaura Chakra: Serenity
/castsequence reset=4 Holy Word: Chastise, Chakra: Serenity

---------------------------------------------------

#showtooltip Flash Heal
/castsequence reset=20 Flash heal, Flash Heal, Greater Heal

Replace your Flash Heal with this macro. This will cast a Greater Heal instead of Flash Heal every time you have 2 Serendipity stacks.

Last season I used the first macro above but with 5second chakra changes in effect it's better to just swap to chakra: chastise; cast hw: chastise. Main reason is, I need that disorient when I need that disorient, not 3 clicks later... which I've had to live with all last season... and believe me it was a pain. For this season I did incorporate a focus macro for this so I don't need to swap targets or find my chastise target...

for the FH > FH > GH macro... does that take into consideration all the juking you're doing? In PVP, that's pretty pointless if it does not... I'd just rely on the vanilla spell binds and look for the serendipity aura on your screen.
Reply Quote
93 Draenei Priest
Thanks! I will be giving holy a try.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Here's a recommended gear guide to maximize stats most beneficial to Holy (Reforge shown in parenthesis)

Helm: Satin (Mastery --> Spirit)
Neck: Meditation
Shoulder: Mooncloth (Mastery --> Haste)
Back: Meditation (Crit --> Haste)
Chest: Mooncloth
Wrist: Meditation (Crit --> Haste)
Gloves: Mooncloth
Waist: Meditation
Legs: Mooncloth (Crit --> Spirit)
Feet: Meditation (Mastery --> Haste)
Finger: Accuracy (Hit --> Spirit)
Finger: Meditation
Medallion: Meditation
2nd Trinket: Battlemaster of Meditation OR Insignia of Dominance

One-Hand/Off Hand vs. Staff:
154 Intellect vs. 27 Stamina, 226 Spirit, 118 Resilience

Note: Satin helm is more beneficial than Mooncloth helm as Satin provides Haste/Mastery, while Mooncloth has Crit/Mastery (i.e. Haste > Crit).
Edited by Rilaks on 4/2/2013 5:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Things are still going pretty well so far in rated battlegrounds. The extra healing umph from Holy is very helpful in that initial meeting between the teams. Our guild is running 1 holy priest, 1 disc priest, and 1 paladin as our healers.

I really enjoed using Angelic Feather. It provides a pretty good speed boost and I can set them up and they stay around for a bit.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Anyone have a good way to track HW: Chastise CD while in Serenity Chakra? My Icon turns back to HW: Serenity and the counter goes away.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
Mathematically, crit is devalued the more you have.

So is mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Anyone have a good way to track HW: Chastise CD while in Serenity Chakra? My Icon turns back to HW: Serenity and the counter goes away.

I'm sure you can find an AddOn that tracks cooldowns.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest

I use WeakAuras myself. While you can't just use the icons (without looking up their idcodes), you can certainly track the cooldowns.

That being said, I find HW:Chastise nearly worthless in bgs. In a standard battle, the entire other side is attacking me (if I'm lucky, they're split between me and another healer). So neutralizing one of the half dozen people trying to kill me for 3 sec at the expense of a GCD and another 3.5 sec of weak healing makes no sense.

It would make sense if I were going 1-on-1 with someone. But that happens rarely-to-never. If I'm standing alone in the middle of the field, it's probably because there's a Warrior crouched in the bushes within Charge range. Healers are power amplifiers, with minimal power of their own. If I'm alone, I'm worth maybe 75% of a player. If I'm with anyone else, the two of us are worth about 250% of a player each.

And the fellow who I'm with? Yeah, he has things a whole lot better than Chastise at his disposal - and he's more than willing to use them as long as I don't screw up and let him die.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
04/05/2013 11:16 AMPosted by Rilaks

I'm sure you can find an AddOn that tracks cooldowns.

I have one, but the icon switches when I change Chakras for some reason. Was wondering if anyone knew a trick.

And Med, I agree, in the flurry of things, not worth casting, but I get attacked alot while out in the world doing quests and dailies.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest

Awesome, I'm glad Holy is working out for you! You can sometimes predict the bomb before it happens as long as you see your tank getting Kidney Shotted. Normally 8/10 times I'll immediately grip and they'll miss their bomb. If that fails yes run in Fear, PoM, HW:S, PW:S and Renew instants are always better incase he comes for a Blind after and attempts to Dance. It's also up to you, but if stacks are incredibly high, Void Shift may be the best option especially in something like Kotmogu.

Also note that both Divine Hymn and Lightspring can heal through LoS and both have a 40yrd range.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]