Holy Priest PvP- RBG & BG Guide 5.4 UPDATED!

90 Undead Priest

I'm sure you can find an AddOn that tracks cooldowns.

I have one, but the icon switches when I change Chakras for some reason. Was wondering if anyone knew a trick.

And Med, I agree, in the flurry of things, not worth casting, but I get attacked alot while out in the world doing quests and dailies.

Mik scrolling combat text has a popup "Holy word:chastise is ready!" right out of the box.
http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/mik-scrolling-battle-text
Edited by Phøenixdown on 4/6/2013 10:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
So neutralizing one of the half dozen people trying to kill me for 3 sec at the expense of a GCD and another 3.5 sec of weak healing makes no sense.

That's why you don't switch to Chakra: Chastise.

/cancelaura Chakra: Serenity
/cancelaura Chakra: Sanctuary
/cast Holy Word: Chastise

By simply putting yourself in a non-Chakra state, you have access to Chastise without incurring the Chakra cooldown, and so upon immediate use of Chastise you can switch back to whatever Chakra you were using before the cancel aura macro.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Updated Section 3, adding in gems to use since i've been asked a lot recently what you should gem for. I'll be adding enchants later today when I have sometime. Hope it helps!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Thank you for the update. I've really found this thread helpful as I develop my priest.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
So I've tested our secondary stats in both arena and battlegrounds to acquire a more accurate gauge on how they fared for each environment, these are my conclusions:

Mastery - I preferred stacking this for Battlegrounds. The benefit seemed far more noticeable when more friendly players were available to heal as it supplemented my already strong AoE healing capabilities, which have a greater impact on PvP with 5+ players to heal.

Critical Strike - Despite my earlier skepticism, I actually prefer this stat for Arenas. Arena matches have more burst, and because of this Mastery's benefit drastically decreases as a result, whereas Critical Strike in conjunction with the Holy Word: Serenity buff makes keeping up with burst a lot easier.

Haste - Although this stat does provide additional ticks for certain spells, I find Mastery and Critical Strike to be more beneficial stats for Battlegrounds and Arenas respectively. You wont really have the time to utilize Smite, and the amount of haste you can reach with PvP gear will not noticeably decrease the cast time of Flash/Binding/Greater Heal.

TLDR - For Arena, I'd stack Spirit/Critical Strike. For BGs, I'd stack Spirit/Mastery.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Enchants section updated, hope it helps! Will be testing PTR soon, and getting ready for 5.3 updates and tricks for you guys :)
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Been holy since wraith and people allover the server now my name now because of awesome people like you putting posts like this up :D top heals every rbg no mana issues no one dies its beautiful. I pugged and was healing a blood dk fc who wanted to keep fighting people in mid at one point of the fight i got cc trained and his 610k hp droped to 20k thanks to you and your marcos and awesomeness i blew everything crit healed him for 530k got cced he diped low again so i life gripped him and healed again for a whopping 410k and because i had been focus healing the dk so much the ret if the team was dipping low switch to sancturay infusion hymn 1.1mill heals an mana only droped about 20k the sheer raw power of our heals is un matchable it dont matter that a isc can bubble you for 120k its a buffer and dispellable you cant dispel full hp

Ty love your and inspration to us all

Ps. ^^^^^ yes im braging
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
04/05/2013 05:02 PMPosted by Flaxxen

I'm sure you can find an AddOn that tracks cooldowns.

I have one, but the icon switches when I change Chakras for some reason. Was wondering if anyone knew a trick.

And Med, I agree, in the flurry of things, not worth casting, but I get attacked alot while out in the world doing quests and dailies.

use a macro:
#showtooltip Holy Word: Chastise
/cast holy word: chastise

and I use an addon: CoolLine to show me cooldowns
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
What do you guys think about these legs I got off Nalak compared to the malv or tyranical ones? Im fully aware that I am losing resil...but as long as I play smart survival hasnt been too much of an issue for me at this point, and these have almost 1k spirit on them which greatly helps in the longer fights.Yes l know PvE gear will be scaled down in 5.3 but for now these almost seem like a bis allowing us to keep our 4set and a buttload of Int/spirit

Ignore my enchants ment to do ot last night and got lazy

Also a forum noob dont know how to link them

I don't think it's a bad idea, especially if you're not completely geared yet. The stats on it are WAY better, i'd be using them if I had them. Your resil doesn't really seem to be affected much by it, and if you do feel squishy you can always gem resil in the yellow slot. Less PvP power isn't really bad right now since intellect is king, next patch they won't be as viable since PvP power is supposed to be better.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
@OP

Could you provide some feedback on what you think the notable weaknesses/shortcomings are of Holy vs Disc (or even versus other healing classes).

How do they do with warriors/rogues on them in random bgs without the reliable peels of a rated group?

As many other have said, I think this is a great thread to highlight Holy's strengths, so I'm trying to get your expert sense of what you see as the downsides.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Still finding this info very helpful. Slowly working my RBG rating up and sitting at 1640 right now.

When you need to get someone from low to 100%, what are you guys using for burst single target burst healing?
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Still finding this info very helpful. Slowly working my RBG rating up and sitting at 1640 right now.

When you need to get someone from low to 100%, what are you guys using for burst single target burst healing?

Shield, PoM, HW: Serenity. If that's not enough to get them out of the danger zone, then follow it up with a CoH and flash, flash, greater/binding. Though I try not to hard cast if I don't have to.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Thanks for the input! I need to be using CoH more often in these situations. I probably haven't been using it because I see it as an AoE heal. With it being an instant cast though, it will be very helpful to get that quick burst healing in. Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
@OP

Could you provide some feedback on what you think the notable weaknesses/shortcomings are of Holy vs Disc (or even versus other healing classes).

How do they do with warriors/rogues on them in random bgs without the reliable peels of a rated group?

As many other have said, I think this is a great thread to highlight Holy's strengths, so I'm trying to get your expert sense of what you see as the downsides.

Thanks!

Firstly Holy vs Disc shortcomings, the obvious would be Holy's lack of an immunity spell like Inner Focus. I believe if Holy had something like that ability, we'd be able to do insanely well in Arena, instead of just a few Hpriest passing the 2.2 arena mark. Another Holy weakness would be our mana regen, compared to other healers it seems to me that a lot of the time Hpriest go pom quicker and not because of over healing. Guardian Spirit, or Lack of GS is a big problem for Holy which Blizz already knows about 50% of the time it doesn't proc, or you die through it. I tend to not rely on it, and use it for that extra healing buff when being trained.

For RBG's/Bg's if you're against a Moonkin without an Aura Mastery, it's incredibly hard to pick people back up from that Beam/Vortex on their team. Void Shift, I feel is great sometimes but using it is risky as it too bugs sometimes almost killing yourself, and not working on your target chosen to swap. We're incredibly squishy being a cloth armor class, but the 65% resil benchmark should help a lot next season. Compared to other classes, Holy is lacking in 'good' defensives Disc has- Pain Sup/Barrier/Spirit Shell, Paladin- Shield/Divine Protection, Druid- Barkskin/Iceblock, Monk- Life Cocoon.

When getting tunneled by Warriors, it is incredibly hard to keep up without peels when they one shot macro. You really have to juke, and play completely defensive such as Chastise into Fear, Bubble (with speed buff) run for your life. Your last option is Chastise, Tendrils which I think every Priest should spec into. Rogues are pretty easy to deal with as long as you're not trinketing Sap, trinket the Kidney then stun/fear him and run. It's a bit complicated fake casting on Warriors/Rogues at first, but if you learn to do it correctly you'll never die. I rarely if ever have problems with either of those classes in BG/RBG 1v1. Holy Priest have really good damage right now and i've soloed quite a few people. Chastise, Tendril, Dot them with SW: Pain, Holy Fire, Power Infusion and Smite them to death (Make sure you're in Inner Fire).
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
If found the biggest single target healing involves guardian spirit if you have time to hard cast or if you have 2stacks of whatvever speeds up greater heal go senerity then mending then guardian spirit then greater heal maybe with infusion up for faster cast hits for about 530k if it crits if not spam the !@#$ out of him but yeah hard casting is a big risk
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
I was Disc all through Cata / MOP. I tried out holy and I instantly was in love with this spec <3.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Thanks so much forthis thread. Another benefit of holy is crafted pvp gear is dirt cheap. Been bidding on stuff for when I hit 90 and so far everything has been under 50g, compare that to about 800-1200g per piece for my shaman and the same for my druid.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Less PvP power isn't really bad right now since intellect is king, next patch they won't be as viable since PvP power is supposed to be better.

Ditto.

04/24/2013 03:07 PMPosted by Vokryn

Discipline gameplay is more preemptive, countered more by offensive dispels, but less affected by crowd control if offensive dispels aren't involved.

Holy gameplay is more reactionary, countered less by offensive dispels, has more utility and AoE healing capabilities, but affected more by crowd control in general.

Our mana regeneration sucks compared to other healers (Mistweave Monks possibly being the only exception), regardless of specialization.

@Warrior: Use Void Tendrils to force trinket. Use Fear/Chastise to force Berserker Rage, then Fear/Chastise after Berserker Rage expires. Keep yourself alive till Void Tendrils comes back up at which point Trinket will be on cooldown and you'll have plenty of breathing room. Switch to Inner Fire during Recklessness and don't be afraid to use Chastise as it will negate his uptime.

Chastise Macro:
/cancelaura Chakra: Serenity
/cancelaura Chakra: Sanctuary
/cast Holy Word: Chastise
(Use this macro instead of switching to Chakra: Chastise, as this macro will not incur the Chakra cooldown, which can mean the difference between living or dying)

@Rogue: I don't use Trinket until I see Shadow Dance, so I'd be careful using it at the first Kidney Shot, pay attention to his buffs first, otherwise 20 seconds later when Kidney Shot comes off cooldown he can Shadow Dance and you have no way to escape. Use Inner Fire during Shadow Dance.

If no one is near me, Void Shift. Otherwise:

Power Word: Shield --> Prayer of Mending --> Holy Word: Serenity --> x1 Flash Heal (if silence risk is high) / x2 Flash Heal (if silence risk is low)

Generally I reserve Guardian Spirit for myself or a flag carrier in Random BGs.
Edited by Rilaks on 4/28/2013 12:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]