Holy Priest PvP- RBG & BG Guide 5.4 UPDATED!

90 Night Elf Priest
I've dropped pvp power and pvp resil completely and have been using

Red: Brilliant Primordial (160 INT)
Blue: Purified Imperial Amethyst (80 INT; 160 SPI)
Yellow: Artful Vermilion Onyx (80 INT; 160 MAS)

basically INT > SPI/MAS > CRIT > HASTE > PVP Power/Resil

overall I feel more survivable than pre-patch but it's just a gut feel no actual numbers to support.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
How are you guys feeling about PvE Trinkets? I have both 522 Rep trinkets I could potentially use.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Aw thanks Nohablohealz I appreciate it! Updated the guide a little bit, mostly SECTION 3. Stat Priority, Gems, Enchants as well as Tips & Tricks portion of the guide. Hope everyone's having fun with Holy Priest! I've been quite busy and not updating because i'm lazy...Currently learning to arena better, Hoping to make a Holy arena guide once I feel confident in my skills lol. It's going fairly decent attempting to push 2k currently in 2s which is really tough going up against Disc/Unholy Disc/Hunter constantly on Bloodlust. Has anyone been going Holy for arenas lately?
Edited by Lovè on 6/3/2013 8:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I've been bouncing between teams since I don't really care about what my rating is these days. I find Hunters and Unholy Death Knights to be my preferred partners, with Feral Druids and WW Monk (5.2 though) coming in from behind.

@Gemming: While PvP Power was indeed buffed to 100% (up from 50%), the PvP Power gems were nerfed by 50%, granting us a zero sum gain in the benefit of PvP Power gems. Therefore, Intellect is the best thing to gem for if you're looking to maximize your healing output; and don't even bother gemming for Resilience.

P.S. - Ignore my gems, too lazy to switch em out.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Still have a lot to learn, but our RBG team is up to ~1700 now after a very solid week last week. We've had some new players move into our active roster. We are running four healers now: Disc, Holy Priest, H-Pal, MWM. Our MWM is actually our flag carrier on flag maps due to their movement abilities.

Gems: I still need to switch a few of my +Spirit gems into +Int/Spirit. I also need to pick up the Jade Spirit enchant (Saving up gold).

Divine star has still been grean on node maps. I need to get better about switching to Cascade on CTF maps though.

Here's a link to our RBG vdieos that I record: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLS8i-jkIX6EdI3YwhcgAXSVy9mFMgDYfC
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I've been playing Holy in semi-serious 2s and not-at-all-serious 3s. I find that we are actually pretty good and a lot of comps tend to underestimate or not know at all what we are capable of. You should definitely do an arena guide if you have time :) I would like to know what kind of gemming reforging would be best. I don't feel like going mastery is that beneficial (just a hunch) but someone else's input would be welcome. Currently hanging onto a bit of resil as well as gemming mainly spirit and intellect with a little crit and haste.

My gear is not great but I have actually not been doing too bad.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
I've been playing Holy in semi-serious 2s and not-at-all-serious 3s. I find that we are actually pretty good and a lot of comps tend to underestimate or not know at all what we are capable of. You should definitely do an arena guide if you have time :) I would like to know what kind of gemming reforging would be best. I don't feel like going mastery is that beneficial (just a hunch) but someone else's input would be welcome. Currently hanging onto a bit of resil as well as gemming mainly spirit and intellect with a little crit and haste.

My gear is not great but I have actually not been doing too bad.

Reforge: Spirit > Mastery > Crit > Haste
Gems: Spirit Meta, Int (Red/Belt), Int/Mastery (Yellow), Spirit (Blue), Int/Spirit (Blue, if regen levels are comfortable)
Intellect is superior to power for gemming. I don't like my combat regen dipping below 11k, and I like mastery at 20%.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I seem to be doing better in arenas lately however worse in bgs, doesnt make since to me. I'm having a hard time adjusting to these changes, bout to just quit the game. I feel so much more squishier and I am frequently chain cc'ed until dead, unable to do a single thing in bgs. Prior to patch in regular bgs I could keep half a team busy by myself and not die a single time during the match. Now I am dying 5+ times and have even got 2 shot at full tyranical. I'm curious did you get your rating strictly as holy? Or have you gone shadow as well for some of that grind? If I don't quit the game I will be switching to raiding or trying shadow out and finally giving up on holy as much as I love the play style I can't stand what they've done to the game.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I seem to be doing better in arenas lately however worse in bgs, doesnt make since to me. I'm having a hard time adjusting to these changes, bout to just quit the game. I feel so much more squishier and I am frequently chain cc'ed until dead, unable to do a single thing in bgs. Prior to patch in regular bgs I could keep half a team busy by myself and not die a single time during the match. Now I am dying 5+ times and have even got 2 shot at full tyranical. I'm curious did you get your rating strictly as holy? Or have you gone shadow as well for some of that grind? If I don't quit the game I will be switching to raiding or trying shadow out and finally giving up on holy as much as I love the play style I can't stand what they've done to the game.

I've strictly played Holy since MoP launch, when Disc was bad I completely abandoned it and fell in love with Holy. Highest RBG rating as holy was 2370 last season, and 2250 this season but tanked recently mmr is deflating for most people. Are there specific classes you're having trouble playing against? Unholy Dks, Hunters, Ele/Enhance Shamans are a big problem for me currently in arena. Proper defensive cooldown usage is necessary to live through enemy cd's If I don't have my instants/Guardian Spirit/Desperate Prayer/Battlemaster Trinket I'm very prone to dying quickly. Make sure you're using your defensive cooldowns to counter their offensive cooldowns. If a hunter pops zoo on you, Void Tendril them or fear the pets away ect. That's all the game is really, an exchange of cooldowns. Keep track of debuffs on yourself and dispel appropriately it helps with mitigating a little bit of incoming damage.

I felt Holy Priest were incredibly strong in the first couple weeks of 5.3, but now that everyone has regemmed for their main red stat I feel damage is a bit out of control for some classes. It's a bit harder to keep everyone up. Positioning is key too, always stay far far away from enemy dps if you can help it. It honestly doesn't help that there are full Heroic PvE mongolid dps who tear everything apart right now it feels like another season 10 lol. Disc is really strong right now though, and i'm considering going back as a secondary spec. Don't give up though! Also, you could consider going Spirit/Resil (Turbid) gems resil is still decent.
Edited by Lovè on 6/12/2013 4:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Question: Anyone having massive problems with dk's mainly frost?
I seem to come up to the fact that if my partner leaves them alone even with 11k combat regen/mindbender constantly used and never off target (thankfully) and infusion im still ooming heavily from them and if i get caught in a cc the amount of necrotics they stack on me rockets to about my full hp bar while im getting dpsed down hard and only thing i can do is run and hide los and not cast anything for fear of intrupt and if i do juke it he can just move slightly and grip me to cancel a cast... Twice i might add.
cant garrentee fears or voidtendrils or mcing him because crowd controls dont last as long and they have about 5 odd trinklet type abilitys i think and im in heavy slows 90% of the time.
Not saying i die to them like what i tell my guild im holy i dont die XD
but im under far to much pressure to actually get a win im just to defensive.
i dono lol...
anyone else hating necro strike??
Edited by Söulight on 6/13/2013 2:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I can handle hunters ok, fear and void tendril takes care of them for the most part with zoo. My biggest issue I guess I would say is being cc'd. DR feels like its non-existent. I can be chain cc'ed unable to get a single move off and then I am dead. Once I trinket I'm screwed. I use my cd's appropriately but I feel like they are glitchy. I get cycloned whilst in my spectral guise, I cast my guardian spirit sometimes and my partner dies without it sacrificing itself, I lifeswap and I get my partners low health, he doesn't get full health then we die. These things don't happen all the time, but they happen often enough to make me angry. I will try out the gems you suggest and see if it helps. Thanks :)

On a side note, your malv weap and ring with 2/2 upgrades, are you using those because they're better than the tyr? Or have they just not been replaced yet??
Edited by Ankhisuamun on 6/13/2013 11:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
I seem to come up to the fact that if my partner leaves them alone even with 11k combat regen/mindbender constantly used and never off target (thankfully) and infusion im still ooming heavily from them and if i get caught in a cc the amount of necrotics they stack on me rockets to about my full hp bar while im getting dpsed down hard and only thing i can do is run and hide los and not cast anything for fear of intrupt and if i do juke it he can just move slightly and grip me to cancel a cast... Twice i might add.
cant garrentee fears or voidtendrils or mcing him because crowd controls dont last as long and they have about 5 odd trinklet type abilitys i think and im in heavy slows 90% of the time.
i dono lol...

I have a question, do you actually cast a lot? Interrupt isn't my issue with them as being Holy, almost every spell I use in PVP is instant, getting locked out sucks and happens more often than I would like, but I would say the only thing they have had cancel would be me drinking or hymn of hoping. I use Phantasm so that helps with them slowing me down, but thats a personal preference. The issue I have with them is getting a successful spectral guise off because of their diseases. I try to fear or stun them before I dispel anything they have on me then spectral guise and get the hell away from it. I do go oom quickly though. Luckily my partner is excellent at keeping them busy while I mana up however.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
I have a question, do you actually cast a lot?

heh naw not really i think flash/greater are around the 1% of healing mark i never tried phantasm and guise guess i gotta switch outta feathers and desperate with them XD ty for that tho never thought of that guess i was just vent about the only class that makes me oom XD haha.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Oh gosh, a little part of me cries when I get my hymn of hope or divine hymn interrupted.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I can handle hunters ok, fear and void tendril takes care of them for the most part with zoo. My biggest issue I guess I would say is being cc'd. DR feels like its non-existent. I can be chain cc'ed unable to get a single move off and then I am dead. Once I trinket I'm screwed. I use my cd's appropriately but I feel like they are glitchy. I get cycloned whilst in my spectral guise, I cast my guardian spirit sometimes and my partner dies without it sacrificing itself, I lifeswap and I get my partners low health, he doesn't get full health then we die. These things don't happen all the time, but they happen often enough to make me angry. I will try out the gems you suggest and see if it helps. Thanks :)

On a side note, your malv weap and ring with 2/2 upgrades, are you using those because they're better than the tyr? Or have they just not been replaced yet??

I understand completely, cc is completely out of hand this season and I personally hold my trinket as long as possible. If i'm say, scattered into a trap and someone is low, I guardian spirit them through that hoping they live. I tend to use my voidshift early on as well, just because it's on a reduced cd from last season. You're absolutely right about glitchy cds I don't even know how many times i've guardian spirit/void shift on someone and we both end up getting low or they die through it lol. The bug forums is full of posts talking about them, but they never end up getting fixed it's quite frustrating. As for the rings, I run old malev for extra spirit over cruelty for mastery it's only slightly less since I had them upgraded last season.

i dono lol...

DK's suck, I hate both Unholy and Frost. Make sure to void tendril after anti-magic shell, as well as shackle their pets. Pet shackling reduces the damage you're taking, so fake a cast and shackle the pet. Also be aware of the dots on you, and dispel those accordingly. Do you use an addon to track interrupts? If not, I suggest interruptbar which you can customize for specific classes kicks (so you know when you can freecast). I checked your 2s and saw you're running with hunter, you can perhaps have him kill healer and cc the DK. Chastise the DK, go for a MC on him as your hunter kills their healer and repeat he can then scatter and trap the DK if there's too much pressure on you. Most DK's run with Disc priest so also remember to offensively dispel their hot's and bubbles. :)
Edited by Lovè on 6/16/2013 1:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]