Do YOU use soul reaper?

90 Human Death Knight
Well, do yah? I know it has its benefits, but just curious what other dks do.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Death Knight
Yes.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Definitely use it when I'm specced Blood or Unholy. Use it when I can as Frost, but don't always manage it since it competes with Obliterate.

That's only against bosses, though. I almost never use it when doing dailies because things die too quickly to take advantage of the damage, and are often too spread out to take advantage of the haste.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Stop attacking
/bye

Unless it's second wind.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
02/28/2013 02:33 AMPosted by Duefuss
Well, do yah? I know it has its benefits, but just curious what other dks do.

Bosses: Yes
Things that aren't bosses during boss fights, (Adds, Spirit King's Arrows, etc.): Yes, dat Haste.
During Dailies or general mindless activity: "I have an execute?"
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Oh yes, quite often, for a variety of reason too.

Soul Reaper for our execute, and then I will randomly place it on players with higher health in order to add an extra "spell" to be dispelled. This way if they get dispelled, its soul reaper that gets dispelled first.

But I've had Soul Reaper do hit or miss damage in PVP, but what counts is the fact that the damage can either be what wins the fight or just help aid in putting some damage on the enemy player at least.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Unholy it hits like a truck, Frost it adds little flavor to the rotation.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
HELL yeah!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Use it all the time in PvE. It feels incredibly clunky as 2H frost, but it's still worth the rune. Hits like a truck as unholy in both PvE/PvP.

It's really good in PvP if you put it up planning for your target to drop to 35% around the time it's about to wear off. It's delayed burst and I've landed a lot of kills when people aren't planning for it. Apply SR at 55-60%, take someone to 30% with 1 second remaining and watch the panic as someone nearly dies (or not panic because it crits and they just fall over).
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
soul reaper is amazing, its pretty reliable if you set it up right, only used it as unholy though, because it synergizes so well with big dots/necrotic strikes
Please dont be so general in your topic, soul reaper in general, ehh, like everyone else says
in certain situations though its amazing
to simply ask "is it guhd" isnt asking much
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I have a question about Soul Reaper.

Say I'm fighting somebody like a Warlock and I get him in Soul Reaper range and use it but he pops his heals, and goes above the percent required to use it, does it still do it's damage like it would if he was never healed above that percentage? It's hard getting used to using this ability in PvP. Also, is it easier to just put all hp on percentage instead of the number to track when it's usable? or should I have had HP on percentage this entire time for PvP and PvE? Lol. It's weird seeing percent instead of the number value, and it makes it hard to judge exactly how geared that person is.
Reply Quote
55 Goblin Death Knight
Yeah, it's a dps increase.

02/28/2013 06:30 PMPosted by Mallaria
does it still do it's damage like it would if he was never healed above that percentage

Nope, has to be at 35% or less for the extra damage too happen.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Yeah, it's a dps increase.

does it still do it's damage like it would if he was never healed above that percentage

Nope, has to be at 35% or less for the extra damage too happen.

Dang. Was afraid of that. So more or less, in PvP, especially rated PvP, it could be pretty irrelevant and a waste of a keybind... Because anybody that is in range of it being used is either about to die before it hits 0 or get healed up anyway... I guess it could be used to kill some people in 1v1, like warriors but I don't see in any group PvP where it would be THAT useful. Do any of you find yourselves using it much in PvP?

Edit: Wait, from reading some of the posts above, you can apply it at any time if you plan on getting that person in it's detonate range before it expires? I can't get on live to test it as my DK is currently stuck in the server transfer "queue."

Edit II: Transfer is complete and I'm going to try it out now. Thanks for your time!
Edited by Mallaria on 2/28/2013 6:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
i use it constantly i love getting so many runes back
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
There are two kinds of DKs.

Those who use soul reaper.

And those who are sub par.
Reply Quote
81 Worgen Druid
There are two kinds of DKs.

Those who use soul reaper.

And those who are sub par.

opposite in high rated pvp, they either get healed past 30% or whatever it is or it gets dispelled, i really think blizzard does not want us to use it for pvp because it can be dispelled. And the time it takes to hit, your only going to pull it off in 1500 bracket.
Edited by Milkdrinker on 3/1/2013 5:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
03/01/2013 04:59 AMPosted by Milkdrinker
opposite in high rated pvp, they either get healed past 30% or whatever it is or it gets dispelled, i really think blizzard does not want us to use it for pvp because it can be dispelled. And the time it takes to hit, your only going to pull it off in 1500 bracket.

Uh, you're usually not letting the healer do whatever he likes when you're bursting someone down. It's low-cost, you lose one measly Scourge Strike for a potential kill. Watching the various DK e-celebs, it's very common to see them put it on someone with nearly full health if their team is about to go all Swifty/ham/yolo. Someone is not likely to be under 35% for more than five seconds—they'll either just die or get saved—but SR going off right as they dip below that is absolutely possible, and not even particularly risky or hard, to pull off.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]