Individual Character Achievements

I've dug through various threads about achievements, and either I'm not seeing the answer, or I'm trying to answer the wrong question, so I thought I'd just ask outright. Through the character API, you can see which achievements a given character's account has completed. Is there any way to determine if a given achievement was actually completed by the character in question? In-game, when you mouse over an achievement you have "completed", it will actually tell you whether or not the specific character you're logged in with has actually finished the achievement or not, but the API seems to be hiding this.

I tried looking at criteria to determine progression, but the problem is that, depending on the achievement, criteria seems to get reset once you complete the achievement, or else if you completed the achievement prior to the great Account-Wide Achievement Conversion of 2012, the criteria never got set. For example, on this character I have achievement #1699 (Fistful of Love) complete, because I completed it back in 2010, but none of the criteria for that achievement are listed in my criteria list (6302, 6312, 6313, etc). Meanwhile, my alt who hasn't even begun the achievement also doesn't have any of the criteria. Another alt who has started the achievement has some of the criteria complete, so I know that char hasn't finished it, but in criteria there seems to be no difference between 'not even started but account completed it' and 'specific character has completed it'.

achievementsCompletedTimestamp doesn't seem to help, either; all of my character have the same time stamp for a given achievement, even though in-game it varies.

I'm getting the feeling that what I'm trying to find isn't actually exposed by the API, but am I missing something else?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
http://crimsonshadows.wowroster.net/wowroster/index.php?p=char-achievements&a=c:262

thats my main

http://crimsonshadows.wowroster.net/wowroster/index.php?p=char-achievements&a=c:25

thats an alt i hope this helps a lil with seeing an example of what can be done
Reply Quote
http://crimsonshadows.wowroster.net/wowroster/index.php?p=char-achievements&a=c:262

thats my main

http://crimsonshadows.wowroster.net/wowroster/index.php?p=char-achievements&a=c:25

thats an alt i hope this helps a lil with seeing an example of what can be done
Maybe I'm missing something, but they look like they have the exact same set of achievements, with no indication as to which of them actually earned a given achievement, so not sure how that helps.

I'm trying to determine if there's any part of the character achievement API that differentiates between achievements a character has actually earned, versus those for which they only have 'credit' because another character on the account earned it.
Edited by Cardie on 2/23/2013 8:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
oh! this is an acount option in the wow client its self to disable account achievements
Reply Quote
02/23/2013 08:51 PMPosted by Ulminia
oh! this is an acount option in the wow client its self to disable account achievements
Unfortunately, while the in-game checkbox "Display Only Character Achievements to Others" has the description "Turning this option on will only display your character achievements when people inspect you or use the Battle.net website or mobile app," that option hasn't worked properly outside of the game since shortly after Mists of Pandaria launched. Whether you enable or disable that checkbox, when you view the characters through the battle.net website (and, unfortunately, through the API), it will *always* show all of your combined account achievements no matter which alt you look at; it never just shows the achievements an individual character has completed.

I've had that box checked on all of my characters for several patches now, and all of my characters' achievements look identical through the battle.net web site and through the API. I was hoping that the API was, in fact, somehow including the info and conforming with that selected option in a way that I just hadn't yet been able to decode, but apparently it can't be made to do so.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
there was a topic about this some time ago .. i think its in the known issues then but that how your "sapose" to do it...
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
...it will *always* show all of your combined account achievements no matter which alt you look at; it never just shows the achievements an individual character has completed.

That is exactly how it is supposed to work. Slightly prior to the release of MoP, they made a change to the achievement system that applies almost all achivements to the account, not to the character.
Reply Quote
02/24/2013 11:13 AMPosted by Kaelum
...it will *always* show all of your combined account achievements no matter which alt you look at; it never just shows the achievements an individual character has completed.

That is exactly how it is supposed to work. Slightly prior to the release of MoP, they made a change to the achievement system that applies almost all achivements to the account, not to the character.
Yes, I'm aware that they combined achievements, but the game also still keeps track of which achievements your individual characters have themselves earned, which is why you can still get the announcement on an alt for an achievement you have completed on your main. And they also added in the option to 'opt out' of achievements being displayed that way on the web site, so in theory when you choose to only show achievements completed by your individual character, it should do so. But neither the web site nor the API honors that option when you choose it.

I had been hoping that the API was, in fact, conforming to the option to only display individual character achievements outside of the game when selected in-game, and I was just not seeing a flag or setting or timestamp somewhere in the JSON data, but it appears that this is not the case.
Edited by Cardie on 2/24/2013 5:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
Battle.net Developer
The website and API should honor this option as of 5.2.0. Let us know if it doesn't.
Reply Quote
How long is the option supposed to take to update on the armory?

I logged on/off a character who had the option toggled on yesterday without the armory changing the point display for that character. This morning, I logged on that character, turned the option off, logged off, logged on again, turned the option back on, and logged off again. No change so far.
Edited by Yuyn on 3/6/2013 6:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
Battle.net Developer
How long is the option supposed to take to update on the armory?

I logged on/off a character who had the option toggled on yesterday without the armory changing the point display for that character. This morning, I logged on that character, turned the option off, logged off, logged on again, turned the option back on, and logged off again. No change so far.

The game is not currently sending us the value of that option, so the feature isn't currently working. I'm working with the server teams to get that in place asap.

Once it is it should be immediate with the rest of your profile. Meaning if you change your talent spec and change this option, as soon as the talent choice appears on the site, your achievements should update to the proper set as well.
Reply Quote
The game is not currently sending us the value of that option, so the feature isn't currently working. I'm working with the server teams to get that in place asap.

Once it is it should be immediate with the rest of your profile. Meaning if you change your talent spec and change this option, as soon as the talent choice appears on the site, your achievements should update to the proper set as well.
Is that something which would need to be put in place via server patches/restarts, or is it just a scripting change on the back end and we'll suddenly see it working at some point?
Reply Quote
this is STILL not working. i don't know why you offered this option without actually implementing it. very frustrating, since as you know there are a number of sites that datamine your information, then they provide an option to players looking for others' alts which they can easily obtain. i have tested it out myself and absolutely i could find all alts with simple ease. i have checked this option so that i keep my character's achievements separately, but also that i am able to maintain some privacy. as you already know, this has opened the doors to stalkers, etc.

i really hope you get this working ASAP --- and i see that you have indeed said that is your intention. i truly hope you can get this working shortly. i have had an issue already with somebody tracking me down through this method. ignoring one character at a time is annoying to say the least. i should be able to maintain some anonymity --- you have offered the option, and i have opted to utilize it and have done so. now i hope you hold up your end of the deal.

thank you for taking this matter serious.
Reply Quote
Looks like it's working now - after logging my chars in and out (and having the option selected in-game on each char), my alts now all have different achievement point totals and are showing different achievements complete/incomplete. Yay!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I would like to see the achievements on this character, my alt, but am unable to as my main has done so many so I am unable to distinguish what I am doing achievement wise. Is there a way I can see what individual achievements I have or working on in game on my alt without seeing the completed ones on my main?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
The ability to switch between an individual characters achievements to achievements completed by characters on the account would be greatly appreciated. Trying to figure out what achieves I haven't done on a character to try and become the #1 character in the guild in terms of achievement points is near impossible.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Determine which achievements are account achievements, determine their point values, check if the character / account has those achievements completed and subtract that number from characters total achievements?
Reply Quote
78 Draenei Shaman
I'm not a programmer and have no clue what is involved in this, but this seems to be bordering on the absurd. Getting achievements has always been a big part of the game for me and I am back after a long break. It's CRAZY that when I am logged in as a specific character there's no easy way to filter that character's achievements! We already have three tabs on the achievement frame, "Achievements," "Guild" and "Statistics." Why in the world can't we have a fourth tab, "Character?"

I recently created a new toon and my goal for this toon was to get Loremaster on EVERY region. It's so frustrating to track it I have lost all interest in doing this.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
03/03/2014 10:53 AMPosted by Adriaa
I recently created a new toon and my goal for this toon was to get Loremaster on EVERY region. It's so frustrating to track it I have lost all interest in doing this.

You can turn on the character only achievements option in game and then check armory if you really wanted to do it.
Reply Quote
24 Tauren Druid
Where do i do this in the options? i want to keep track of achievements, for questing, Rep and other such values.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]