Mistake using lvl boost on a healer?

29 Human Paladin
I'm trying to decide if using my resurrection scroll on a healer is a good idea. I'm currently leveling up a tank (a paladin) and having a good time learning how to tank and the mechanics of everything. This has caused me to wonder if using my level boost on a healing class might be a bad idea since I'm not learning how to be a healer.

So that leaves me with 2 questions for everyone.
1. If going a healer will be fine, does healing class really matter all that much? I know each has its strengths and weaknesses but is one more new player friendly?
2. If it is a mistake, is DPS the way to go?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice, I appreciate it.
Reply Quote
I'm trying to decide if using my resurrection scroll on a healer is a good idea. I'm currently leveling up a tank (a paladin) and having a good time learning how to tank and the mechanics of everything. This has caused me to wonder if using my level boost on a healing class might be a bad idea since I'm not learning how to be a healer.

So that leaves me with 2 questions for everyone.
1. If going a healer will be fine, does healing class really matter all that much? I know each has its strengths and weaknesses but is one more new player friendly?
2. If it is a mistake, is DPS the way to go?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice, I appreciate it.

Well, any healing class that you pick will also have a dps spec, so if you decide that you don't like healing, you can easily switch to dps, or even tank (if you're a Monk, Paladin, or Druid).

You might get a bit overwhelmed by starting a new class at high level and suddenly having a lot of abilities, but I'd say that that's true for any spec. As long as you do a bit of research (read the sticky threads in the class forums, they're usually very helpful), you should be fine.

You should be ok with any healing class, although Monks are probably less new player friendly than the others.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
02/24/2013 08:14 AMPosted by Flintte
You might get a bit overwhelmed by starting a new class at high level and suddenly having a lot of abilities, but I'd say that that's true for any spec. As long as you do a bit of research (read the sticky threads in the class forums, they're usually very helpful), you should be fine.
This!

Doing your research, just for clarification, should be doing research into the kind of healer you'd like to play. Learning a healer that has most of its spells will be easier if you enjoy that playstyle more... Things will make more sense faster.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
IMO, the hardest healer styles, not spells, just styles, to get used to bang smack are monk and pally - just because of the dual resource. Once you get used to that part, no real issues.

And at the moment, low level healing is... well... just kind of blind mashing works. So until around 75-80 you don't learn as much as you should anyways.

As long as you don't mind reading a bit, you should be fine really.
Reply Quote
92 Night Elf Druid
Almost every hybrid quests as DPS. When you want to heal just look up healing spell priority and rotation on the web for your class and spec. Then go heal. Healing while questing and healing in dungeon are different. In a quest you will use inefficient spells same as BGs. In a dungeon you conserve mana. Healing while leveling will give you zero pertinent skill.
Reply Quote
56 Worgen Warrior
Healing at low lvls is so OP you really don't learn much, because half the time 1 is all you need to use in between wrath/smite/lightningbolt/whatevermonksdo/judgement. Every once in awhile you get a tank in full heirlooms who pulls everything at once, than then, you get to heal twice.

So if you think you really want to heal, go ahead and boost up a healer, I would personally suggest doing a lot of research on which healer you think you'll want to play most though, because the healing style of each is different, and can be awesome for some, but brutally boring and tedious for others.

And tanking LFG's is the fastest lvling in game, so if you want to lvl a tank, it should be pretty dang fast.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
While the early going might be a bit overwhelming if you boost one straight to 80 without any experience, the only things you learn about healing at the lower levels are bad habits, and a grossly inaccurate represenation of how healing anything in this game works.

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The biggest problem I have with the concept of bumping a healing class straight to 80 is that the Cata dungeons have a huge jump in mechanics over the Northrend dungeons - everyone in the group has to do what they are supposed to do at the right time or they (or another player, usually the healer!) will die.

If you heal through Wrath and then suddenly it all goes South when you hit the Cata dungeons, you have a darn good idea why - and it's not that you suddenly forgot how to heal in a flash of light and a Tada!!! But if you jump to 80, haven't healed before, and people are dying left and right you are going to have a hard time figuring out whether it's you or them - because you went straight into the Cata dungeons without anything to compare to.

What will make it harder is that the finger will be pointed at you regardless - up to that point the DPS have generally been able to stand where they want and burn things down without worry or concern, so from their point of view, they aren't doing anything "wrong" (or different, which is exactly what they are doing wrong!) - if you can't sustain 30K hps on each of them individually and simultaneously as they stand in the goo, it must be you.

Read up, make sure you practice prior to going into the dungeons until your spellcasts are muscle memory so you aren't hunting for the keybinds when you have to react quickly (which you will!), and don a flak jacket since you will be taking criticism whether it's your fault or not, and you'll do fine.

<S>
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]