Is it wrong to.... ?

2 Human Warlock
(Please be aware that I am posting on an alt )

To put my guildies first when it comes to loot on achievement/transmog runs? To let them have first dibs on loot even if it's not current? I see people on my server pull this all the time where they reserve stuff maybe for their own or their friends when they announce their runs!

I extended an invite to my realm on the realm forums and sure enough I got trolled for it..

But I can always pull the surprise trick and not even tell people upfront the loot rules and let them find out the hard way at the raid

We don't get to do these types of run a lot because of time constraints. So of course I am letting him have first dibs. I don't need that much from these runs and the raids have so many bosses not everyone will need on everything

Am I wrong for doing this? I always get trolled for one reason or another on my own server.

This is my first time setting up this type of run...
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warrior
I see old school runs with reserved items advertised all the time on my realm's trade channel. They always get trolled. It's going to happen. They also, most of the time, seem to find people wanting to go. I'm assuming it's one or two transmog items you want in a run and you say something like, "Warglaives reserved", or "mount x reserved", and not that you want people to carry you and a buddy through to an achievement or current loot.

The thing is- it's your run, you set the rules. I think it's better to be upfront about what is reserved. People will troll you, but you've set your parameters and really they can choose to join you or not. It would be worse if you got the reputation of pugging old content and then keeping all the stuff for yourself without telling people the loot rules. Because that kind of activity is tossed into the trade mire immediately on my server (don't know about yours).

I've found the best solution for transmog/mount runs is to run only with guildmates or friends. You only need a couple people for most of the older runs. No drama and no fighting over the epic lootz. Things like twilight drake runs are standard weekly calendar affairs in my guild to get it for people who don't have one.
Reply Quote
2 Human Warlock
And I agree.. I like to be upfront and let folks know what's up. Trust me any ninja nonsense gets tossed into trade real quick on my server too.

I figure I would extend the invite because I see people advertising all the time for them and some fail and some do not .

The rule I set up was my guildies roll first if they don't want it, then everyone else can go for it.. I am not trying to be a ninja but I put my people first.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Who on earth is going to join your transmog runs when you only let guildies roll first and then others get the leftovers? That's not reserving an item, it's just a waste of time for the non-guildies. Keep the runs to guild only.
Reply Quote
2 Human Warlock
It's called giving my guild a chance to get something without risking someone else who might vendor it getting . If no one in guild wants it but others do they can have it.. It's a chance to get an achievement as well... Some people just do it for the achievements... Chances of us running this as a guild or w any other group are slim.. There is plenty of loot and we don't plan on needing everything..

Like i said before I can always pull the surprise card once event time comes.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/25/2013 06:21 AMPosted by Hespler
Who on earth is going to join your transmog runs when you only let guildies roll first and then others get the leftovers? That's not reserving an item, it's just a waste of time for the non-guildies. Keep the runs to guild only.

Agreed.

It's called giving my guild a chance to get something without risking someone else who might vendor it getting . If no one in guild wants it but others do they can have it.. It's a chance to get an achievement as well... Some people just do it for the achievements... Chances of us running this as a guild or w any other group are slim.. There is plenty of loot and we don't plan on needing everything..

Even if I were to join such a run for achievements only, the old "surprise, no loot for you" card would still leave a bad taste in my mouth and would most certainly keep me from ever helping out you our your guild again. You said it yourself, your guild would not be able to complete the run without non-guild players. Why scam them when they are clearly helping you achieve something you wouldn't be able to otherwise?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
If only your guildies get to roll first on every desirable item, then only your guildies should go. It's commonly accepted to reserve one or 2 items, and even that restriction will be considered a douche move by many. Don't restrict the whole run and expect to be well regarded.

Also, you aren't doing your guild any favors this way, because you are trashing your reputation and hindering recruitment.
Reply Quote
02/25/2013 06:50 AMPosted by Blaeh

You will destroy your guild's reputation if you steal an item like that. It is a disservice to your guildies whose reputations will be affected.

For example, may people still refuse to run with a guild on my server because they stole BOEs back in Firelands. There is a saying that a man will forgive the murder of his father faster than he will forgive the theft of his property.

Edit: Didn't notice Nebliina above me just said this same thing :)

This thread is like that one someone made before about stealing gold from the GB to buy a Yak. If you are trying to justify it and prove it to us it is clearly wrong.
Edited by Hespler on 2/25/2013 7:19 AM PST
Reply Quote

You sure can. And presumably you're comfortable living with the consequences. In case you don't understand what those are likely to be, here are some possibilities:
  • people realize what you're doing and drop your run, making it difficult for you to continue
  • people continue on the run but intentionally try to wipe the raid and/or disrupt your achievement
  • people leave the run and flame your guild when you try to recruit replacements
  • people leave the run and flame your guild indefinitely
  • people don't care since it's all old gear anyway

You pretty much need to assume that for every item you claim for the guild first, you're rolling the dice on one of those things happening. It's your run, and it's ultimately your decision. Many people chart a middle course by only reserving one or two items, but that's probably a pragmatic versus an ethical decision in most cases.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
I'm curious what you're running for Transmog.

Most old raids (anything Pre-Cata really) can be completed with only 1-3 players for 10 man and 5-8 for 25 man. Some, if you're trying for achievements, might take a couple more, but that's really the max that's "needed" for anything.

Why do you need outside help? If you want to reserve everything for guildies only why not just take guildies only?

It's not necessarily "wrong" to reserve items for guildies but if you're going to do this you need to limit the number of items reserved per run, i.e. reserve only 2 weapons or a single cloth piece and a single plate piece. It may take longer to get what you want but you won't alienate the rest of your server and loose the ability to invite others to join you.

Many players will accept 1 or 2 items being "on reserve" as long as pets/mounts aren't included but when you ask the masses to assist you in gaining these transmog items you need to give the masses a chance to get something too.

Otherwise, as easy as old raids/instances are these days, take just a few guildies and do your transmog runs without outside help.
Reply Quote
2 Human Warlock
Wow! A ton of reaction there! I am grateful to all for the honest opinions as harsh as I thought some were. I did some rethinking and changed the loot to open for all .. The more I thought I about the more pissed I got at myself. I do tend to take things as a personal attack..

The guy with the yak post... that was just plain weird..
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
The guy with the yak post... that was just plain weird..

Recent history on this forum.
Reply Quote
2 Human Warlock
I saw that post and I found it plain weird he wanted to do that. Guild gold is for the guild to use not for one person to buy a yak mount for his personal collection.
Reply Quote
Reserving a couple items in tmog runs is pretty common. I never see it trolled on my realm unless it's excessive.

I also see runs like, "LF dps for ICC, leather wearers only", or "non-plate wearers only". That's another good way to ensure you won't have competition for loot (assuming you don't wear leather).

Where I do see trolling is for runs that people do for a single specific item. Like reserving ashes of al'ar, or warglaives. Those get trolled pretty hard.
Reply Quote
2 Human Warlock
My realm is another story lol ... I plan on going on my cloth but if I gotta bring in another alt for temp boss fight I will do so.

I was basically looking out for my people but that backfired on me and I went about it the wrong way.

I'm mellow about it because I only transmog my lock and I have a tailor char so I can make most of the items for it..
Reply Quote
Just brainstorming but what you can do is ask a friend who is in full raid gear and doesn't care about transmogs to help your guild out. One current raider can solo most of the expired content pretty much and there are people like myself who will go to help but don't care about items or achieves. Just need to find one.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
It's called giving my guild a chance to get something without risking someone else who might vendor it

Then keep your runs to guildies only or risk completely screwing up your personal and guild reputation permanently.

You sure can. Then switch servers and change your guild name because you'll have completely destroyed your guild rep. Is it really worth it?

Also, keep in mind that not stating loot rules in raid chat up front means that if someone has a problem with the way loot was handled, they can - and will - open a ticket about it, and Blizzard may side with them.

Course, I don't see why you don't just 5-man anything you may want gear out of. Normal modes of any raid in Cata can be 5-manned, and anything before that can be 2-manned, and in some cases, soloed. But I digress. There's nothing wrong with putting your guildies first, but don't make them pay the price for a decision you made.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The rule I set up was my guildies roll first if they don't want it, then everyone else can go for it.. I am not trying to be a ninja but I put my people first.

This is different than having things on reserve - and frankly, I'm not surprised you're getting trolled.

How, or why, on earth would anyone want to come when there's no idea in advance what's reserved? Might as well say "everything is reserved, unless no guildies want it." That's the basic rule.

Now, if there was a specific piece or two you wanted to reserve, that's normal, and not at all out of the ordinary. But basically reserving an entire run for out of date content begs the question of why anyone would want to go along who isn't in your guild.
Reply Quote
2 Human Warlock
02/25/2013 10:24 AMPosted by Solaeris
Also, keep in mind that not stating loot rules in raid chat up front means that if someone has a problem with the way loot was handled, they can - and will - open a ticket about it, and Blizzard may side with them.

I was not planning on doing it but I gave it as an example- unfortunately I have come across that type of people but I personally never bothered to report it, I let karma deal with it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Monk
Generally I'm against reserving items, though only under the rarest of circumstances is such a thing okay, it's just as people have said, if you go reserving everything, not many people on the server will want to join you or be too happy with it, as I think most people I know only really want to do old school runs, for things that they have missed out on, such as mogs, legendary quests or whatever. Ultimately it's your raid, and you are entitled to make whatever rules you like, but if you become too strict in your rules, I don't see it going down too well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]