Psyfiend Nerf?

90 Blood Elf Priest
This nerf to Psyfiend along side the nerf to Phantasm makes our escape from melee much much harder. If Phantasm was not nerfed, then I could be OK with this. But to escape from a DK espeically with their Fear immunity & double 'death-grip' is going to be difficult. Warriors also being able to break fear, and quickly kill a fiend after the first fear.

I don't understand why people above say it is a skillless talent. Phsyfiend is a talent that is easily countered - if the opponent watch for it. Everyone knows if there is a priest on the other team, to watch for the phsyfiend jump on it before it gets a cast off. As a healer in arenas, I am quick to penance any fiend that is dropped.

The fiend takes skill to use against opponents who know how to counter it. And to be honest, it makes an interesting fight when you repeatedly come against teams that do know how to.
Edited by Reviver on 2/26/2013 2:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
02/26/2013 12:44 PMPosted by Egwugwu
It's definitely good as disc. Really adds to an offensive playstyle when your team isn't under a lot of pressure.

Ya, I can see it being good for disc. I'm coming from a shadow point of view.
Reply Quote
78 Goblin Priest
This nerf to Psyfiend along side the nerf to Phantasm makes our escape from melee much much harder... I don't understand why people above say it is a skillless talent.

If you're having problems with melee, I don't see why you're speccing into Psyfiend instead of Void Tendrils which is a very effective way to stop pressure from a melee and also in a way that doesn't DR with your other fear. And people think it's a skill-void talent since as an instant-cast ability that you can place around pillars to fear people into LoS who were otherwise positioned perfectly, it kind of strikes a bad chord with people who appreciate things like good positioning and properly using Los.

So far the changes to Psyfiend have made it bearable; more easily killed, longer cast time, and can't spam fear on the same person. When the talent was first introduced I facepalmed irl. Same with Blood Fear.

*As for phantasm, being able to escape roots and movement impairing effects is still a great escape mechanism, though it won't make it impossible for warriors/DKs to gapclose on you. The great thing about Void Tendrils is that zerker rage is irrelevant, and if it's so dire that you escape a DK, you can silence him to stop his deathgrip.
Edited by Egwugwu on 2/26/2013 6:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
Shadow priests are still very viable. WAtch talbadar (one of the best spriest in the world) stream on PTR, he's killin it!!!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
God i have shadow priest, and damn totally justified..... This class is quite powerful this season.

Shadow Priests will become free honor kills come 5.2 release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz8z2AGw

Really? Do they have anymore surprise nerfs up their sleeve?

Can anyone take Blizzard's balance model seriously after this?

Why so many retard post crap like that ? Shadow still almost on pair with mage on PTR meaning they still top notch casters......

Stop posting u have no idea how to play shadow.
Edited by Cherep on 2/27/2013 1:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
It's broken anyways. When ever I use it, he just stands there, not casting...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/26/2013 06:21 PMPosted by Egwugwu
This nerf to Psyfiend along side the nerf to Phantasm makes our escape from melee much much harder... I don't understand why people above say it is a skillless talent.

If you're having problems with melee, I don't see why you're speccing into Psyfiend instead of Void Tendrils which is a very effective way to stop pressure from a melee and also in a way that doesn't DR with your other fear.

I should clarify - the difficulties are generally with Warriors/monks/dk's where they can close the gap betweent them and their targets instantly.

Void tendrils (and again, I am talking about going against competent oponents) are quickly removed in a couple of seconds if the dps switches quickly. I changed from using tendrils because of this specific problem. With DK's, tendrils do absolutely nothing as they have 2 x Deathgrips. With PhsyFiend, you get that chance to get away from a DK.

As for the DR, that is never an issue. I will generally reserve a Phsycic Scream for another oponent, or More than likely, it is usually unlikely that the oponent is at full DR for fears (if they are smart) they dont keep running back through the Pshyfiend. The stupid might... but isnt that what learning is about?

And people think it's a skill-void talent since as an instant-cast ability that you can place around pillars to fear people into LoS who were otherwise positioned perfectly, it kind of strikes a bad chord with people who appreciate things like good positioning and properly using Los.

That is what I don't get... there is good placement of pshfiend and there is bad placement. When chasing a priest "look around the corner first" if is just dropped, then stomp if within 2 seconds! Its cast time is soooooo long (2 seconds) that if you run around in a corner and run past the fiend with out stomping it, then they deserve to be feared! It is sooo easy to counter.

In contrast... consider a DK's double death grip... is that skill based? Oh gosh I could think of dozens of talents that have NO counter.

So in summary... There are smart ways and dumb ways to place a Phsyfiend.... and there is ALWAYS a way to counter the fiend. It is certainly not a skill-less talent. I suggest those that think otherwise are the ones who have not worked out how do deal with them.

So far the changes to Psyfiend have made it bearable; more easily killed, longer cast time, and can't spam fear on the same person. When the talent was first introduced I facepalmed irl. Same with Blood Fear.

Don't facepalm irl... safety first remember!

*As for phantasm, being able to escape roots and movement impairing effects is still a great escape mechanism, though it won't make it impossible for warriors/DKs to gapclose on you. The great thing about Void Tendrils is that zerker rage is irrelevant, and if it's so dire that you escape a DK, you can silence him to stop his deathgrip.

Fair enough, this is vaid for a Shadow Priest. As Disc, I can not silence. Yes it could be argued that a fellow team member should silence for me. . . but it should seem fair to be able to have a escape tactic that does not rely on another team member once in a while.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
M I N D C O N T R O L
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Ooooh I wish mind control was back (no not the talent). It was a rare but fun ability (as buggy as it was) to use when the situation called for it. To rare now to take in leave of the other two options :(
Edited by Reviver on 2/28/2013 3:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Priest
Everyone want's less CC in the game until it's their CC that's getting hit.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/28/2013 04:25 AMPosted by Ginxer
Everyone want's less CC in the game until it's their CC that's getting hit.

Well, I partially agree with this. I think when it comes to Arenas - the total CC that a person can be inflicted with in a certain period of time needs to be reduced. However, I do believe it is perfectly fine to have all the CC's that classes have now - just more DR.

So in this view, as a priest, who LOVES the Phsyfiend, I am more than happy that it shares the same DR as Pshycic Scream... It means I have to be smart about using it, knowing that if I am trying to shake a melee, I need to choose what to use. I typically 3's with a warrior... if he fears a target for me, I need to be aware that my Fears will be much weaker due to the DR that target has already accumulated.

TLDR: Giving lots of CC option to players is fine. This gives them decisions to make. But to improve on the current situation of "TOO MUCH CC" there needs to be more DR. Perhaps a dynamic DR that says "OK, in the last 8 seconds, this character has had no control of his character, so further cc of anysort will have 50% duration. at 12 seconds, make further cc's have 25% duration.... Or somrthing like this - you get the point.

TTLDR: Keeps existing CC's, need more DR across different CC's.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
02/25/2013 03:20 PMPosted by States
Did I read it correctly that Psyfiend on ptr only casts fear on the same target once?

A buff. Maybe now it won't fear the water ele or hunter stampede pet 3 times then go away.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Priest
02/27/2013 08:58 PMPosted by Zulax
M I N D C O N T R O L

Are you still talking?

Every post you make is "all u gus is buncha newbs cuz i'm pretty cool and ur not so ther."
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
02/28/2013 01:06 PMPosted by Zeppz
Did I read it correctly that Psyfiend on ptr only casts fear on the same target once?

A buff. Maybe now it won't fear the water ele or hunter stampede pet 3 times then go away.

This is an amazing point!!! OK, I would certainly like it changed to target players first, then pets.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Yay. No more around the world in 80seconds from NZ to Africa, to France, to the US and back again.
Edited by Dactylion on 2/28/2013 4:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
The fears from the fiend make you run away in fear. Just don't run back within 20 yards of the fiend, and you cant get feared again. As a mage, if you happen to get feared, you can just one shot it from range. It is easily countered.

The simple thing to do, is macro target the fiend and have one shot it. As soon as you see the fiend dropped, you have 2 long seconds to push that macro button.

As a priest, I watch for other priests fiends and am ready to penance it, if not before I am feared (if I did not see it being placed) but certainly before it can fear me a second time.

If they make you do around the world in 80 days, it is just a learning thing - nothing more.

It is just baffling to me that it is nerfed since it is so easily countered... I really don't understand. If someone can explain to me how it is OP, and can not be countered... I just can't see it. There are plenty of other CC's that have No - or - much harder counter.
Edited by Reviver on 2/28/2013 5:25 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]