Am I ready to tank LFR?

90 Human Death Knight
Hi, I have been playing wow since the beginning, but this is the first year I have been tanking. On this DK, I have been face rolling heroics (seems I see healers smile when I zone in). I have been watching tons of you tube fight strategies. I have been reading every thread I can on LFR and boss strategy.

If I am geared enough, my next question would be,

How do you communicate with fellow tanks, when all in raid are " go go go, zoom zoom"?
Who decides role for each encounter?

Thank you, ANY sage advice is welcome.

P.S. I have found new life in this game with tanking, and when I do DPS or heal, I respect tanks even more!
Edited by Runesoul on 2/27/2013 3:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/27/2013 03:27 PMPosted by Runesoul
If I am geared enough

Item level 460 is geared enough for LFR; your gear is fine.

02/27/2013 03:27 PMPosted by Runesoul
How do you communicate with fellow tanks

Whisper the other tank, say "it's my first time tanking LFR, can you give me advice?"

If she doesn't answer, say it to raid chat in general: "it's my first time tanking LFR, can someone give advice?"

Watching videos was good; asking for in-game advice will help smooth any final bumps.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Inushi gave some good advice. The only time it doesn't work is when the other tank responds, "It's my first time here as well". Lol! I know because it happened to me. If that happens, contact the RL for advice.

Odds are, though, the other tank will have multiple runs and very willing to explain things to you. Since I've started tanking LFR this patch, I rarely dps anymore. In fact, I'm looking forward to primarily tanking the new patch.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Or, run through LFR in dps mode but contact the tanks and ask their advice on all boss fights. Jot the notes down and give it a whirl as tank.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
U use 5 pcs of dps gear. U will burden the healer to heal u. DK main damage reduction come from tanking gear. DK must eat damage and heal back from DS. With loss of 5 pcs of tanking gear, u make healers to heal more on the damage u took. Pls go to farm ur tanking gear in H dungeon. Don burden healers esp in HOF fight where there is a lot of physical attacks. With ur currently hybrid tanking dps gears, u will take more damage and may make healers unable to heal u.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I have tank LFR with all tanking gears. If use ur current hybrid gears, u will be easily died because lack of damage reduction esp in HOF fight as most of them include very huge physical damage. Even with my current gear, if I DS at wrong time (spam DS), I will die.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
For the love god ignore these people above me. LFR is a complete joke unless you're tanking all 10 mobs on windlord and nobody is dispelling.

If you have the slightest semblance of knowing your class a tank spec alone is fine. (And obviously a shield+1h for warriors and paladins)
Edited by Ðemolition on 2/27/2013 9:50 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Warrior and DK is diff. Warrior is very good in HOF. I like to heal warrior more than DK. Warrior take less damage than DK atm. Warrior is mush easier to heal esp in HOF.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I thank all of you. I simply used the best gear to give me my biggest stamina first. I have tried the trick of cueing DPS then switching specs before fight. (when I won't interfere with Tank). Also as I pick up my tier gear, I am selecting Tank stuff. With my current health (about 730K when buffed) and mastery, I could just about solo heroics. I am amazed at the self healing and shield of Death Strike.

Also , since my DPS set is about done for the moment, I will use Valor to fill in blanks.

On a completely different note, WOW I admire you tanks doing the dance on Will of the Emperor. I was in a super noob LFR with my lock, and I practically had to YELL at the raid not to let the courage add hit the tank. Five wipes later I think they got it. And I do not think I'll have the patience you all have, when I am first positioning a boss, and all those "leet" DPS meter lovers unload at the pull... OMG makes you want to cringe!

Learning Tanking has made me a better DPS :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Learning Tanking has made me a better DPS :)

Totally Agreed.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
The courage mob hits like a girl. I could care less about it. I don't dance. I stand in the AoE for LFR otherwise the big guys do odd movement things causing issues for the non-responsive people in LFR.

Change = sky falls for many people in LFR. It's pretty funny.

It doesn't matter if I'm tanking them on my DK or my warrior. My warrior actually takes less damage than my DK even in lesser gear.

I just wish my warrior had the insane AoE threat of my DK. Tanking can be fun!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
02/27/2013 09:50 PMPosted by Ðemolition
If you have the slightest semblance of knowing your class a tank spec alone is fine. (And obviously a shield+1h for warriors and paladins)

To be fair, as of now armory is showing him in a frost spec, dual wielding, with 3 pieces of DPS tier, which may be a little troublesome even in LFR. Particularly the DW part, blood is way better off with a 2-hander. The DPS tier might work on the sheer ilvl and regular stats, even though you won't get much from the set bonuses, but you'll probably want to replace it with blood tier as soon as you can get the extra tokens.

If you know about the fights mainly from watching videos, the one thing I would warn you about is that LFR usually does Stone Guards wrong on purpose, stacking all three dogs and healing through multiple unmitigated overloads, because it lets the DPS do more cleave damage and finish them slightly faster. Usually this works fine unless you have several people queuing as healer but DPS specced, and even then it can be saved if the other healers are good enough and geared enough, because the fight is just that undertuned. But you shouldn't expect to get any useful practice on the real mechanics.

On all the other fights, you can practice most mechanics, with the added bonus of not getting killed/causing a wipe if you screw them up. (Except for the floor on Elegon, which will still kill you. But if you've watched strategy videos you already know about it.)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Your ready to tank normals, with ease.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
To be fair, as of now armory is showing him in a frost spec, dual wielding, with 3 pieces of DPS tier, which may be a little troublesome even in LFR. Particularly the DW part, blood is way better off with a 2-hander. The DPS tier might work on the sheer ilvl and regular stats, even though you won't get much from the set bonuses, but you'll probably want to replace it with blood tier as soon as you can get the extra tokens.

I logged in DPS spec out after doing a few cash runs in dailies. I'll put my tanky stuff back on, it's still not perfect, but I'm working on it. In Frost, I usually am 1-3 in damage on LFR runs.

I normally DPS on my lock, but I have been running this mele toon so I can see encounters from the tank's perspective.
Reply Quote
I tanked terrace LFR at 445 on my bear last night... the healer that que'd with me had more HP than I did... Went fine.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Brother tanked MSV LFR as a Blood DK. His gear. Dread/Contenders with 1 Mal piece and a T1 Weapon. Result. Did better than any nub tank you usually queue with.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
02/28/2013 08:08 AMPosted by Calonderiel

Question, I see folks saying a DK can't dual-wield tank but far as holding argo, doesn't a DK have more than enough argo getters and taunts? They have dark command and that grab ability plus they can AoE spam blood-boil if needed?

Also, on his armory gear. Maybe he has more than one set/spec? .... People switch things up sometimes.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk

Question, I see folks saying a DK can't dual-wield tank but far as holding argo, doesn't a DK have more than enough argo getters and taunts? They have dark command and that grab ability plus they can AoE spam blood-boil if needed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMaY9lCOXS8

Blood is balanced around tanking with two-handers. By dual-wielding, you're only gimping yourself for a playstyle that died a long time ago.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]