5.2 PTR CM nerf reverted; Pyro nerfed 10%

100 Blood Elf Mage
The CM nerf on the PTR (from 1.3 to 1.2) has been reverted. They still apparently think Fire will end up a little bit too good, because instead of the nerf to CM, they are nerfing Pyro a bit:

- Critical Mass - nerf reverted. It's back to 30%.
- Pyroblast - direct damage reduced 10%.

Regarding reasoning, they listened to those of us saying the CM nerf punishes those without very high end gear, and it looks like they might actually attempt to fix this long term, instead of simply forcing fire mages to constantly ride the "get good gear / get nerfed" merry-go-round:

The Fire changes were because we needed to nerf Fire to keep other mage specs competitive in PvE in 5.2, but we agree that nerfing Critical Mass unfairly targets less well geared players, and that the spec is just less fun if it crits too rarely. (Long term, we might investigate some of the non-linear percent scaling suggestions players have made.)

Link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7923993861?page=100#2000
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I'm really happy right now. Nerfing CM sucks. A flat damage reduction to Pyro is so much better.
Edited by Napwneon on 2/28/2013 7:25 PM PST
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
02/28/2013 07:24 PMPosted by Napwneon
I'm really happy right now. Nerfing CM sucks. A flat damage reduction to Pyro is so much better.

Same, and I agree.

Nerf Mage tears, too stronk.

Nice to see they're actually listening.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Mage
02/28/2013 07:24 PMPosted by Napwneon

I agree.

I'm honestly still not convinced anything needed to happen to fire. At least not yet. But if they are going to nerf, this is *so* much better.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
This is phenomenal. Definitely allows those of who aren't pushing heroic content to have a more viable option for a while. I love it.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Very happy with this change. I am a fire mage who just got this toon to crit levels where it is starting to be fluid, was seriously considering moving to my Ret with the CM nerf to 1.2. Hopefully they do the other bit ASAP and change CM to be non-linear.
Reply Quote
100 Human Mage
Glad to hear. It's a problem that needs to be fixed long term in my opinion, but I'll take a 10% nerf to pyro as long as they recognize that this is a problem. :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Well done, seems they are paying attention.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Ark
The CM nerf on the PTR (from 1.3 to 1.2) has been reverted. They still apparently think Fire will end up a little bit too good, because instead of the nerf to CM, they are nerfing Pyro a bit:

- Critical Mass - nerf reverted. It's back to 30%.
- Pyroblast - direct damage reduced 10%.

Regarding reasoning, they listened to those of us saying the CM nerf punishes those without very high end gear, and it looks like they might actually attempt to fix this long term, instead of simply forcing fire mages to constantly ride the "get good gear / get nerfed" merry-go-round:

[quote]The Fire changes were because we needed to nerf Fire to keep other mage specs competitive in PvE in 5.2, but we agree that nerfing Critical Mass unfairly targets less well geared players, and that the spec is just less fun if it crits too rarely. (Long term, we might investigate some of the non-linear percent scaling suggestions players have made.)

Definately good seeing as this change is keeping fire viable for raids and toning down fire damage in pvp

Thumbs up for blizz on this one
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
I would have to agree and looking into non-linear ways to manage fire crit is good
long term strategy. Nerfing the proc damage of pyro is manageable.

Good Job and thanks for listening to us even if we when we get somewhat hysterical at times :D
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Everyone wins with this. Baby Mages up to the BIS mages this is an all around good choice.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
You can't nerf Critical Mass! Burn Blizzard HQ to the ground! Salt the earth! Ghostcrawler is the devil's son!

Oh a nerf was reverted and a more sensible one applied within 24 hours of the announcement of said unpleasant nerf? Boy is my face red.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
Thanks Blizzard. Nerfing Pyro is the right approach IMO. Still wish we had LB cleave back though =p
Edited by Digerati on 2/28/2013 9:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
You can't nerf Critical Mass! Burn Blizzard HQ to the ground! Salt the earth! Ghostcrawler is the devil's son!

Oh a nerf was reverted and a more sensible one applied within 24 hours of the announcement of said unpleasant nerf? Boy is my face red.

How so? It was reverted due to the amount of complaining about it, no complaints and it would have continued to live. Not sure whats difficult to get, if no one speaks out against anything then the people in charge would always assume everything is A OK.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
Best part about that comment was it mentioned the aspect of 'fun'. Really isn't fun to be spamming Fireball. Critting is!
Edited by Digerati on 2/28/2013 9:37 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yesssssssssssss! So happy about this change. I'm just starting to gear up my mage and am starting to get some crit gear. My question is, how much crit is needed to be competitive? 25% unbuffed? CM being reverted back to 30%... Where is the 30% number coming from?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Mage
Everyone is all "ahh good choice, great job, they're listening" meanwhile come 2 hours after 5.2 release Hotfix: CM reduced to 1.1, pyroblast damage and scaleing reduced by 50%
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
Coolio.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
02/28/2013 09:40 PMPosted by Ærtai
Everyone is all "ahh good choice, great job, they're listening" meanwhile come 2 hours after 5.2 release Hotfix: CM reduced to 1.1, pyroblast damage and scaleing reduced by 50%

The horror.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]