Bloodtap & macro vs runic empowerment

90 Undead Death Knight
So i was messing around tonight with some spec option for when 5.2 unholy comes and I made a macro for blood tap to just auto cast with death coils. Then My second thought was, "Isn't this just runic empowerment with no RNG?"

I have gone 6 frost strikes in a row without getting runic empowerment to proc.

EDIT for clarification: I am asking in terms of PVE performance. Does blood tap macroed to another ability net the same amount of returned death runes and runic empowerment does?
Edited by Lifenite on 3/1/2013 11:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I'm confused, are you talking about for Frost or Unholy?

If you mean unholy, you should never EVER take RE, since the rune it can activate is random, and it can screw up your rotation royally.

If you're talking about frost, then no, RE is still better than Blood Tap. As frost, you just want runes coming in as fast as possible, it doesn't matter which they are, and RE does that better than either of the other options. Yes, it is less reliable, but it also has more potential.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
I wasn't really speaking for a particular spec but just in general. I'll rephrase...

Would blood tap macroed to frost strike or death coil net the same amount of returned runes as RE?
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Im still sort of on the fence about it.. I wish there was some sort of reliable source of info/numbers of it.

But RE is a bad choice for frost.. since your biggest ability takes TWO runes, you want RC.. but ive only dabbled in BT, Im still pretty curious about it.
Reply Quote
4 Undead Mage
I'm confused, are you talking about for Frost or Unholy?

If you mean unholy, you should never EVER take RE, since the rune it can activate is random, and it can screw up your rotation royally.

If you're talking about frost, then no, RE is still better than Blood Tap. As frost, you just want runes coming in as fast as possible, it doesn't matter which they are, and RE does that better than either of the other options. Yes, it is less reliable, but it also has more potential.

he mentioned frost strike
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
02/28/2013 11:49 PMPosted by Lifenite
Would blood tap macroed to frost strike or death coil net the same amount of returned runes as RE?

Except nobody macros it to RP dumps, they macro it to abilities that cost the runes, chiefly Necrotic Strike (for Unholy) and not much else. Maybe Obliterate would make sense, I've never tried seriously. The principle is collecting charges, dumping your runes, then instantly getting them back and spamming, usually, NS. Since PvP is so burst-heavy nowadays, it's the closest thing UH has. Frost could do it too obviously, but I don't think it's as common for some reason. And this is obviously just from a PvP perspective, maybe you're talking raiding but your helm and shoulders confused me.
Edited by Ëmpy on 3/1/2013 4:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Much better, in terms of burst, to
save runes and BT charges
cast 3 obliterates
blood tap twice, cast another obliterate
frost strike 4x, blood tap twice, do another obliterate
Empower, 3 more obliterates, 5 frost strikes, another obliterate from BT

Which you could do in the duration of a Strangulate and Remorseless Winter, if you time it right.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
From a pure PvP point of view, it would be a bad idea to macro BT to any abilities. BT purpose is to give you more control on your runes management by creating an "on demand" rune popping for specific situations which can happen randomly in the midst of battle. BT will be even more important with the new change to Reaping in 5.2 for Unholy. Those Necrotic Strikes will poor out like there's no tomorrow and we'll be able to say this to the healers: "All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain... Time to die!" (See what I did with that Blade Runner quote!?)

Seriously though I don't like to depend on some RNG gimmick. I prefer having one more keybind and more control.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
Another question to the OP, is this for PvE or PvP?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
I am going to be completely honest with you, in any PvP situation blood tap is going to come out on top. Let me explain: blood tap allows you on command runes when you need them which is imperative, those death runes can be converted to necrotics (UH) or even obliterates if you convert two runes. Simply blood tap if going to give you more flexibility, now I do not recommend macroing it to all of your abilities, this would lead to the exact opposite, I haven't done extensive testing but I am sure Runic Corruption or Runic Empowerment would overcome blood tap if it is used as a macro to all of your abilities.

Bottom line is; if you want to be successful in competing in PvP I would say use blood tap, if you want less management of your skills choose either of the other two skills in that tier because they are both fairly equal.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
Sorry my gear i have on on last log out was pvp gear but this question pertains to PVE.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Death Knight
02/28/2013 11:51 PMPosted by Radioface
But RE is a bad choice for frost..

What.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
for unholy-pve BT is the way to go.

RE may become useless most of times: for example, your RE procs and you take back a single blood rune in a single target fight.

But BT will always return you a death rune wich is always usefull.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]