Warlock acceptance

90 Night Elf Death Knight
I am not sure where else to post this thread but here's my query. Being that I have just finished World of Warcraft: Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War, I have a simple question, without giving any spoilers -

The Alliance was openly making use of Warlocks in a battle.

When did the use of Demonic magics become accepted by the Alliance? And if this is now canon as most of the books are, does this give Players the ability openly RP Warlocks in the "open" world now.

This was always frowned upon in my circles as Warlocks were always considered the low-lifes of the magic world, enslaving demons to do their bidding and such.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm not so sure about the when, since as far as I know this is the first time we've seen warlocks openly used in battle and such, but as far as them being acceptable to RP in the open? I think it's more of a personal matter.

Sure, warlocks are now technically accepted in the Alliance, as least as far to say that they're useful in battle. However, I still think that individuals might not be accepting of them. Now, I'm guessing guards and such still wouldn't allow demons to roam around Stormwind like it's no big deal, but if someone openly stated they were a warlock, no one could really do anything about it (i.e. call the guards, report them, etc.) since they are accepted by the king/military/what-have-you.

Now, that doesn't stop individuals getting all up in arms about it. Like my druid could still hate or frown upon your warlock simply because she still disagrees or it still makes her uncomfortable. It's still fel magic; it's still working with demons. Not everyone is gonna be okay with it right away.

So, moral of the story, yes, it's acceptable, and yes, you can openly RP as one, but people are still gonna huff and pout about it. Aaaand you still can't use demons like pets that you take on walks in the Park. (If it were still there... *sniffles*) Or at least that's how I see it. I'm guessing in some situations it'd be alright to have one out, but not all the time.
Reply Quote
That's an interesting way to look at it.

Yes, I've been on servers before the cannon changes where you would try to talk to someone about how they wouldn't be accepted and they would get angry and shout expletives at you from every alt they had over it. Personally I welcome it to some degree, then you don't have to have the talk with them.

Now we just need to teach people DKs are dead and can't fall in love and get preggers. As well as the fact that rogues are thieves and would not go around announcing such in a public bar where they knew no one as a general rule...
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Rogue
I really take exception to the class of rogues portrayed as thieves. That is a real put down to the scouts and agents who are out there trying to keep their respective military leaders apprised of things that are happening. I prefer to think of them as agents, like spies. Not as thieves. Can they pick locks? Yes...do they pick pockets. Maybe OOC they do, but most people who play rogues don't realize you don't "have to" do these things.

If you want to role play a thief, then do it, but do not expect anyone to let you have things out of their pockets or accept being robbed. I have allowed people to whisper me OOC and ask. I am ok with that. But never assume that the only rp you can do on a rogue is a thief.
Reply Quote
No, I meant no offense to the scouts or agents or legitimate RPers.
I was talking about the RPers that actively tell people that they are thieves and are proud of it.

I have a gnome rogue on some RP server somewhere that I don't play anymore as the guild she was in dried up, but her backstory was that she was a banker by day and a scout otherwise in secret of course. I mean who would suspect a gnome as scout out in the big wide world of Azeroth.

That is the one thing I absolutely hate - when someone walks up to you that you don't know ICly and says Hello <classname>. I usually whisper them and say No, that's not how it works I have not told you what <class> I am the ingame mechanics aside.
Edited by Ayelene on 3/1/2013 8:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
42 Human Hunter
Even though Warlocks are accepted I expect that not everyone is suddenly buddy buddy with them. There is still an air of caution since you know the whole Fel and Demon thing. The guards would probably have the Warlock not have their Demons running around and such.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I am not sure where else to post this thread but here's my query. Being that I have just finished World of Warcraft: Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War, I have a simple question, without giving any spoilers -

The Alliance was openly making use of Warlocks in a battle.

When did the use of Demonic magics become accepted by the Alliance? And if this is now canon as most of the books are, does this give Players the ability openly RP Warlocks in the "open" world now.

This was always frowned upon in my circles as Warlocks were always considered the low-lifes of the magic world, enslaving demons to do their bidding and such.

Being useful in battle isn't the same thing as walking around juggling soulshards and talking to your enslaved demon. What is acceptable on the battlefield is not necessarily acceptable on the streets of Stormwind. To say "they use warlocks in battle now, openly, does that mean they can openly walk around and practice?" is like saying "we use brutal, violent, questionably ethical means to attack our enemy like burning a Tauren village of women and children, on the battlefield, does that mean the Stormwind Guard should start policing like this?"

What is acceptable on the battlefield is a means to an end. That doesn't mean that you can waltz around Alliance territory proclaiming you're a demon monger.

Still, I usually leave this to personal preference. Azeroth has been in a perpetual state of war for some time now and people are probably growing pretty jaded. A warlock these days is probably a lot less shocking than it would have been several years ago.

Death Knights are accepted as members of the alliance, Wrynn makes it clear, but that doesn't magically end old prejudices and the nightmares that plague people who have personally encountered them before that point. Prejudices, superstition, and personal experience do not just disappear because the king says "Tirion says they're cool, they're useful, so they're welcome", nor does a warlock's usefulness in battle (probably to help counter Horde warlocks) suddenly negate old superstitions and prejudices against them among civilians, or even their fellow soldiers.

The Guard might not be allowed or inclined to arrest somebody simply for stating they practice fel magic anymore, but that isn't necessarily a license to walk your enslaved demon around town. Disturbance of the peace at the very least.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
I really take exception to the class of rogues portrayed as thieves. That is a real put down to the scouts and agents who are out there trying to keep their respective military leaders apprised of things that are happening. I prefer to think of them as agents, like spies. Not as thieves. Can they pick locks? Yes...do they pick pockets. Maybe OOC they do, but most people who play rogues don't realize you don't "have to" do these things.

If you want to role play a thief, then do it, but do not expect anyone to let you have things out of their pockets or accept being robbed. I have allowed people to whisper me OOC and ask. I am ok with that. But never assume that the only rp you can do on a rogue is a thief.

See now I LOVE the inference because it's exactly how I RP Jevrin, despite QQ I've read about bad blood elves as being overplayed, I've found the opposite to be true actually. So anytime I hear this common rogue characterization I get hawkstrider pimples all over and smile to myself.

My general appearance is such that I choose to project the image that I'm a thief and will happily pick a lock for you; however, whether or not other characters want to surmise this about me is their own prerogative, for all they know I could have just returned from a funeral. But point taken, IC somebody should never walk up and say "hello rogue" even though npc shop-owners do it constantly.

And yeah, if I'm about to commit a crime, I'd be an idiot to make a general announcement about it in an open bar with guards standing around, I might even wear something more respectable and less conspicuous, but in the end it's the exact type of attention Jevrin not only loves but is not at all threatened by, as there's many an unscrupulous guard in-game.

Edit: OT, when I RP'd on Silverhand there were paladin/priest guilds that would NEVER allow a warlock within their ranks and you had to swear to never use shadow magic as a priest, so I'm not sure the alliance has come around much on this. And the double standard bothered me even though I never RP'd a warlock, it was ok to use warlocks powers to further the interests of the alliance but after that we want nothing to do with you.
Edited by Jevrin on 3/5/2013 3:15 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]