Questions about monks, professions

90 Worgen Druid
Thanks in advance folks for any answers.

I am planning on leveling a red pandaren female monk up to cap , and was wondering which specs I should play. I enjoy tanking, healing and dps so I'm wondering if I should go tank with dps primary or tank with healing Primary . I'm not sure how the monk is balanced in regards to dps or healing and any insight would be welcome.

Secondly I was wondering how professions have changed in mop. This is a broad and general question , I know , but I'm looking for things like fun perks and perhaps money making potential ( realizing that anything that makes money will require time Investment ) . I do hopefully plan on getting those new profession mounts from jewelcrafting , and maybe engineering ( although not a fan of how they look so at the very end of my list ) but I believe I can just buy them with gold.

Also I was originally going to go engineering for the blingbot but I hear I can just access anyone's for a chance of present with the drop rate of goodies not affected by professions.

Thanks again folks.

Edit: also I may end up choosing another race for my monk, not entirely sold on pandaren. I may choose night elf female, Draenei female or male human. This is mainly a question of monk animations look on these races.
I thought of going horde but I do like the colour blue. Any input on how pandaren females look in leather would be appreciated.
As always any input would be much appreciated.
Edited by Rumze on 2/22/2013 7:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
87 Human Warrior
I fear I can't help with answers, as I've only played a monk to like, 10 and I'm otherwise super casual these days. I didn't much like pandaren as monks, but I do think nelf and draenei gals look pretty cool monking it up. Mostly I'm writing this non-answer to bring more eyes to your post. :)
Reply Quote
Female pandaren can look great in leather: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/moon-guard/Jianming/simple

Though certain hats like rogue T1 will look pretty funny on them.

All professions seem incredibly easy to level once you get to MOP, if you can get over the main inter-expansion slumps. Getting to that point, though--it's enough to make me swear off professions on new characters until they give them a design pass. You can make out decently playing the transmog market if leveling is too dull. Not as quickly as camping profession stuff with quick turnover, but decently and without any initial time investment.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Hey here's some of the same armor pieces on a nelfy gal for comparison. I went for different shoulders, and I didn't get the proper matching gloves because I took the pretty robe quest reward instead. >_>
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
02/22/2013 06:33 AMPosted by Rumze
I am planning on leveling a red pandaren female monk up to cap , and was wondering which specs I should play. I enjoy tanking, healing and dps so I'm wondering if I should go tank with dps primary or tank with healing Primary . I'm not sure how the monk is balanced in regards to dps or healing and any insight would be welcome.

If you intend to quest, Brewmaster and Windwalker are currently rather easy-going for leveling (I went Windwalker personally, very smooth, especially once you get Rising Sun Kick). Mistweaver's dps is pretty poor, but the next patch is significantly increasing the damage (Like, ~6x damage significant for Tiger Palm) dealt by both Tiger Palm (In single-target situations) and Blackout Kick (for AoE), so it's looking like it may be an adequate questing choice once those changes go live.

Secondly I was wondering how professions have changed in mop.

Like Satterly was saying, they really made professions a breeze to level once you reach the actual MoP levels, but prior to that things can still be a bit brutal. I didn't really have many issues at all leveling Herbalism / Alchemy on my latest Monk, though.

I do hopefully plan on getting those new profession mounts from jewelcrafting , and maybe engineering ( although not a fan of how they look so at the very end of my list ) but I believe I can just buy them with gold.

You can!

Also I was originally going to go engineering for the blingbot but I hear I can just access anyone's for a chance of present with the drop rate of goodies not affected by professions.

This is also true, you don't need your own Blingtron to do his daily 'quest', and almost every higher-leveled Engineer has one built. Being an Engineer yourself doesn't seem to have an influence on the rewards from Blingtron's gift.

I may choose night elf female, Draenei female or male human. This is mainly a question of monk animations look on these races.

I personally love the animations on my Draenei Monk, the kicks in particular look simply brutal with the hooves.

I thought of going horde but I do like the colour blue. Any input on how pandaren females look in leather would be appreciated.

Generally speaking, they look very good. There are a lot of headpieces that look odd on them, though, and their big bellies can cause some texture stretching on chest / waist pieces, particularly with some of the older gear models.

Hopefully some of these responses helped a bit!
Edited by Aurinaka on 2/22/2013 9:17 AM PST
Reply Quote
About Monk Animations. They're all the same regardless of race. The only race that has "different" monk animations is Worgen. They don't have a kick animation for Blackout Kick.

Monk damage in PVE isn't the highest in game but its not the lowest, I think its? 5-10%? or so behind the big damage dealers (Arcane, affliction, fury) Might be 20%.

About leveling, level as a Brewmaster to 56. At 56 Windwalkers get Rising Sun Kick which is the holy grail of monk damaging abilities. From that point on go Windwalker / OS tank or healer for dungeon queues.

If you want gold and you already have an Enchanter/JC/miner alt make the monk have the other two profs. It makes gold like crazy.

About the races, Panda Females look great and all but the voice is a bit lacking. They sound like old asian ladies but their animations suggest a young person. They have small shoulders and weapon sizes so that might be a problem for you. They also have tiny legs, so seeing armor on them is kind of a pain.

If I was to suggest a race for you it would be Night Elf Female. They are a tall race, good animations, able to see armor on them. They have pretty big shoulder armor, and their weapons are a good size. They also don't sound really weird or anything.

Cheers.
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Druid
Go night elf female for your monk and give her the really bright teal hair. It'll look awesome with the monk spells.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/22/2013 09:20 AMPosted by Yoss
About Monk Animations. They're all the same regardless of race. The only race that has "different" monk animations is Worgen. They don't have a kick animation for Blackout Kick.

As far as I know, Worgen cannot be Monks. Neither Worgen nor Goblins can.

Monk damage in PVE isn't the highest in game but its not the lowest, I think its? 5-10%? or so behind the big damage dealers (Arcane, affliction, fury) Might be 20%.

Windwalkers are getting a significant buff in 5.2.

About leveling, level as a Brewmaster to 56. At 56 Windwalkers get Rising Sun Kick which is the holy grail of monk damaging abilities. From that point on go Windwalker / OS tank or healer for dungeon queues.

I personally found that Brewmaster is way more fun than Windwalker. I leveled as Windwalker on the Beta, and not even Rising Sun Kick was enough to make me enjoy it. Brewmaster, on the other hand, is ridiculously fun. The only annoyance is that until you get all of your abilities (in particular Purifying Brew), you can be very squishy at the lower levels.

About the races, Panda Females look great and all but the voice is a bit lacking. They sound like old asian ladies but their animations suggest a young person. They have small shoulders and weapon sizes so that might be a problem for you. They also have tiny legs, so seeing armor on them is kind of a pain.

Disagree! Pandaren are actually quite tall, and our legs look amazing in leather pants. And while I don't fully like the female pandaren voice, her animations MORE than make up for it.

If I was to suggest a race for you it would be Night Elf Female. They are a tall race, good animations, able to see armor on them. They have pretty big shoulder armor, and their weapons are a good size. They also don't sound really weird or anything.

Cheers.

I tried making a Nelf female the other day, and I just couldn't get past how bad they look compared to Pandaren. The eyes just really throw me.

Edited to Add: OP, Monk is a new class. They are going through balancing issues not that dissimilar to the ones DKs went through back in Wrath.
Edited by Hyunae on 2/22/2013 11:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Thanks a million folks!
Reply Quote
As far as I know, Worgen cannot be Monks. Neither Worgen nor Goblins can.

Model editing/ WoW model viewer/ Tmorph

Windwalkers are getting a significant buff in 5.2.

The mastery buff isn't a huge damage increase. Haste is still really important.

I personally found that Brewmaster is way more fun than Windwalker. I leveled as Windwalker on the Beta, and not even Rising Sun Kick was enough to make me enjoy it. Brewmaster, on the other hand, is ridiculously fun. The only annoyance is that until you get all of your abilities (in particular Purifying Brew), you can be very squishy at the lower levels.

Leveling as a tank at a low level is always better, same with warriors until you get to Outland generally, or Northrend. RSK made a huge difference, it was the only ability that hit harder then Spinning Fire Blossom while leveling WW.

Disagree! Pandaren are actually quite tall, and our legs look amazing in leather pants. And while I don't fully like the female pandaren voice, her animations MORE than make up for it.

Yes Pandas are tall, their legs are small and hidden over the fat, and I know there isn't a lot of fat but the legs of a panda vs the legs of a human (who is shorter) you can see the human female legs a lot more clearly then a panda. The animations are the same for all races, no difference other then a higher polygon model if you pick panda. Well I guess the food buff is better for end game pve.

I tried making a Nelf female the other day, and I just couldn't get past how bad they look compared to Pandaren. The eyes just really throw me.

Try face 1/8. The other night elf faces pale in comparison. But comparing older models to panda models is dumb, the pandas have more "bones" for more fluid emotion. Wait til the older races get updated and you'll see.

Edited to Add: OP, Monk is a new class. They are going through balancing issues not that dissimilar to the ones DKs went through back in Wrath.

If you mean in PvP monks are average. They have the best sustained damage in the game alongside dot classes/dks. And can hit really hard w/o CDs up. However they're trained very easily and its also very easy to force defensives out of them. Silences also throw wrenches at WWers.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Someone told me they are working on new models for the older races.
Was this recent? Or is this coming soon like the dance studio?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
02/22/2013 03:16 PMPosted by Yoss
Model editing/ WoW model viewer/ Tmorph

Those are extremely against the ToS and will get you banned if you use them, as far as I know. Worgen cannot be Monks.

Yes Pandas are tall, their legs are small and hidden over the fat, and I know there isn't a lot of fat but the legs of a panda vs the legs of a human (who is shorter) you can see the human female legs a lot more clearly then a panda. The animations are the same for all races, no difference other then a higher polygon model if you pick panda. Well I guess the food buff is better for end game pve.

You...can? Maybe I just need to get into my Brewmaster gear, but this is not fat. This is pure muscle that will kick you from here to Christmas. Pandaren simply move better than any other race with the animations, and their idle animations (and non-Monk-based animations) are better as well. Their skeletons simply have more bones.

Try face 1/8. The other night elf faces pale in comparison. But comparing older models to panda models is dumb, the pandas have more "bones" for more fluid emotion. Wait til the older races get updated and you'll see.

Kind of not the point. :) They're not updated right this moment. Therefore, at the moment, you have to look at not-exactly-attractive animations - and look at them a lot. The Pandaren animations are, by comparison, much much better at this moment. If they ever actually do redo the other models, then you can always race change.

If you mean in PvP monks are average. They have the best sustained damage in the game alongside dot classes/dks. And can hit really hard w/o CDs up. However they're trained very easily and its also very easy to force defensives out of them. Silences also throw wrenches at WWers.

I was not, in any way, talking about PvP. I am speaking of PvE, as the OP is in a rather well-known PvE guild that is now (as far as I know) on a bit of a hiatus.

Someone told me they are working on new models for the older races.
Was this recent? Or is this coming soon like the dance studio?

They said it a while before MoP dropped, and there was some talk about it again a few months back. I don't think we'll see new models before the next expansion, though I wish that weren't the case.
Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Rogue
Be forwarned.

While windwalkers will be getting buffed, Mistweavers aren't so much. True their damaging abilities are getting boosted a bit, but their ability costs are as well, at a staggering rate. Fistweaving / Mistweaving will both be very far behind in raids, if still viable.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Be forwarned.

While windwalkers will be getting buffed, Mistweavers aren't so much. True their damaging abilities are getting boosted a bit, but their ability costs are as well, at a staggering rate. Fistweaving / Mistweaving will both be very far behind in raids, if still viable.

It appears they're trying to kill Fistweaving at the moment, which is a shame because it's so much fun. I'm honestly not sure what's going to happen with Mistweavers at this point. A lot of people are upset.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]