Buffs and Debuffs?

55 Worgen Hunter
Yes, I do know that this is a very nooby question, and it's embarrassing that I'm already lvl50 and I still don't know what this is. And plus I have high lvl alts lol but seriously, can someone explain to me what buffs and debuffs are?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
They are things that either increase your stats (buffs) or decrease them (debuffs) in various ways. The aspects a hunter uses are buffs, for example.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
A buff is any temporary spell that provides a bonus (better stats, faster attacking, etc.) for your character. A debuff is the opposite--a temporary spell that hurts your character in some way, either by doing periodic damage to you or by reducing your stats/effectiveness.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
02/23/2013 09:50 PMPosted by Tazcat
Yes, I do know that this is a very nooby question, and it's embarrassing that I'm already lvl50 and I still don't know what this is. And plus I have high lvl alts lol but seriously, can someone explain to me what buffs and debuffs are?

If you're interested in learning more about WoW terminology try checking out the sticky up above. It gives a great list of terms.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2228418470

Also something that hasn't been mentioned. Your buffs and debuffs appear on the top right of your screen, near the minimap.
Edited by Monmonn on 2/23/2013 10:56 PM PST
Reply Quote
Also something that hasn't been mentioned. Your buffs and debuffs appear on the top right of your screen, near the minimap.

I believe these are specifically called auras. A buff or debuff is a change which enhances or diminishes the viability of your character. Most auras are either buffs or debuffs (or both)... but not all of them are. Pieces of gear can also be buffs, and so can the changes that Blizzard devs make to your class at certain intervals.

But I guess it is important to note that colloquially, the term buff/debuff is interchangeable with beneficial/detrimental aura.
Reply Quote
And as a hunter, the passive ability Trueshot Aura increases attack speed for the party.

Also, when your pets attack, they can provide a useful buff to the party, or debuff the target. For example, your raptor can reduce the target's armor, the wind serpent increases magic damage on the target, and at 81 your cat's roar will boost the party's Mastery stat. When a pet buffs you, the icon will be in the upper right corner along with other things that are affecting you, but when it debuffs the target, you'll see the tiny icon below the target's health bar.

This lists the current class buffs and debuffs:
http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1100/mists-of-pandaria-buffs-and-debuffs
Edited by Drewb on 2/24/2013 8:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/23/2013 11:12 PMPosted by Amelica

I believe these are specifically called auras. A buff or debuff is a change which enhances or diminishes the viability of your character. Most auras are either buffs or debuffs (or both)... but not all of them are. Pieces of gear can also be buffs, and so can the changes that Blizzard devs make to your class at certain intervals.

Auras are really a type of buff, in this instance. Auras tend to be effects that get added to you based on your proximity to a player or item. They go away if you get too far away, or if the source of the buff dies. Other buffs are spells that are cast on you, and have a specific duration.

But yes, in this context the two are interchangeable. But the 'buffs' that show up near the minimap are not necessarily auras.
Reply Quote

Auras tend to be effects that get added to you based on your proximity to a player or item.

True. I called the graphics that pop up next to your minimap auras because Weakauras calls them auras, and I couldn't find a better name for them. But now that I think about it, a better term to call them would be 'spell effects.'
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]