Is the rep grind necessary?

So apparently, once the novelty wears off, it turns out dailies are super boring. They make the game seem like a chore, if anything. I'm fine with doing a small amount for gold/charms but beyond that...

What do you lose if you don't grind rep? (Excluding the Tillers, because I'll probably still grind with them for the farm). What I can see is:
- VP items
- Vanity items.

1.) Am I losing out on anything else important?

2.) Does Blizzard make the rep grind easier once factions are obsolete (say, upon the introduction of a new expansion)? E.g. by adding a championing tabard or increasing experience gain dramatically.
Reply Quote
Also: ty for responses in advance.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
1) Not really. It's meant for hardcore raiders or players who like dailies to gear up in an alternative way.

2) Things change all the time, so you never know. In 5.2 there's going to be more ways to get reputation and charms.

The reputations with MOP have been a hot button topic since the expansion launch, and blizzard is trying to find ways to address the reputations without just having people run dungeons with a tabard.
Edited by Monmonn on 2/24/2013 12:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
The charms from dailies help you get bonus rolls in raids (including LFR) and world bosses. In 5.2 those will also be available through pet battles.

Various factions have crafting recipes tied to them. Enchanting has crafting recipes on August Celestials and/or Shado-Pan for example. It looks like that doesn't affect you personally, but it can be important for others.

The Tillers is nice to have for your farm if that's something you're interested in doing. That has some nice bonuses. I farm herbs and send them to an alchemist friend to make potions. It's saved me a lot of money compared to buying the mats or potions off the AH.

There are other ways of gaining rep coming in 5.2. You can get rep from the first scenario and first dungeon of the day. There are also work orders for your farms, 300 rep for 8 plots (which seems terribly low to me, but it's still a method of gaining rep outside of dailies). The problem is that doing all of those every day nets you about the same rep as one set of dailies for one faction. It'll probably be faster to just go out and do the dailies unfortunately.

I honestly don't know if they make rep grinds easier. Someone with more experience would probably be able to answer that better.
Edited by Pizzathehutt on 2/24/2013 12:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Dominance Offensive has a really cool storyline unfold as you play through it. Don't have any level capped alliance, so I can't say how Shieldwall plays out.

Many of the reps have recipes attached to them. They matter to certain people (the best bags are something you'll have to really work for), but you don't seem to be one of them.

Tillers let you grow your farm, Anglers let you buy a non-flying mount that has water walking (handy for lowbie alts), and cloud serpent lets you ride dragons. Which isn't required, but is nice considering how many of the pandaria prestige mounts happen to be dragons.

(Golden Lotus rep is also required to unlock other factions for dailies, and Klaxxi/Shado-Pan rep allows you to unlock additional buffs for while you're out doing your dailies. Listed merely for completeness sake.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The other thing you'd be missing out on is some story-lines. In patch 5.1 Blizzard introduced a new way of telling stories through the new factions introduced in that patch: Operation Shieldwall & the Dominance Offensive. You get new parts of the story every 2-3 days (depending on how many dailies you do) - and the story and 'regular' quests are fantastic. That is really how the main story was told for 5.1, and it looks like there might be something similar in 5.2. So if you only grind rep with one faction - make it Operation Shieldwall (and try the Kirin Tor Offensive in 5.2). While the actual dailies themselves are nothing special (and the animal collection dailies and the hub in the Ruins are awful) - the storyline associated with them more than makes up for it.

As for the 5.0 factions: The Klaxxi, Golden Lotus, Cloud Serpents and Shado-Pan have new parts of their stories that unlock at each reputation level (Honored, Revered, Exalted) etc. I admit that getting to them can be kind of a chore, but the actual stories are good(the final fight for the Golden Lotus is tough). The Tillers also have a nice story that unfolds as you gain rep with them and with the individual Tillers. The August Celestials are a disappointment in that regard, but there's a story attached to the Red Crane dailies - unfortunately the other three AC hubs don't have anything.

Several new changes will be introduced in 5.2 that will make the grind easier. Once per day you can champion a faction - which will get you extra rep in the first heroic and scenario you do for the day. When you get Exalted with teh Tillers you'll be able to receive 'work orders' - you'll have to grow vegetables and turn them into a faction for rep. I think people have datamined some items that drop in the new 5.2 zone that will increase rep as well.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Another thing to note is that once you get to revered with a faction it unlocks a commendation you can use (you only need to buy and use it once) which means you get extra rep (half again) every time you do (or one of your alts does) one of that faction's dailies or quests. Definitely useful if you are farming rep on an alt to get access to recipes or particular bits of gear.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
More generally, the only reasons do do dailies are:

* gold (dailies are not the only source though)
* valor points (dailies are not the only source though)
* you need the rep for that faction (for recipes, to unlock another faction, to buy gear or vanity items, to be able to harvest maximum crops)
* you like to follow the story of that faction
* you're a completionist/achievement hound and need to see a long list of exalteds in your reputation pane

If you want none of those things then there is no need to do dailies.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
02/24/2013 06:05 PMPosted by Sarakatawen
Another thing to note is that once you get to revered with a faction it unlocks a commendation you can use (you only need to buy and use it once) which means you get extra rep (half again) every time you do (or one of your alts does) one of that faction's dailies or quests. Definitely useful if you are farming rep on an alt to get access to recipes or particular bits of gear.

It also helps make that stretch from Revered to Exalted go faster, since it applies to the character that purchased it as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]