Nervous about starting Heroics

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello all,

So I've been leveling up this character and (slowly) working on some rep so that I can purchase a few of the vendor pieces in order to get ready for Heroics. I really have no intention of raiding right now (maybe sometime in future), so that's why my hit is set to 6%...just working on getting expertise up to cap now. The thing is, I'm really nervous about starting heroics. I've tried a few of the normals and things went pretty good....and I've had a really positive tanking experience leveling up this toon as well. I guess I'm just not sure how much of a "step up" heroics really are from normals.

One thing that's kinda different about this xpac, is that not all heroics have a "normal" version. So there's really no way for me to get a feel for these dungeons from a tank's perspective beforehand. What would you guys says is a "comfortable" ilevel for these heroics? I just don't want to go in there and get pulverized and/or screamed at by the healer lol !

Also, with 5.2 around the corner, currently super-geared DPS will be even more geared. Is this something that under-geared tanks should be concerned about? Should I be expecting threat issues after the patch goes live? I'm guessing that as the disparity between ilevels increase (Tank vs DPS), the easier it becomes for trigger-happy DPS to pull aggro off the tank....but maybe this is not how it works - I'm not sure.

Thanks!!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
A couple things I can tell you to take the edge off:

1) I can't think of any mechanics in any heroics that will kill you without warning. Everything that comes to mind telegraphs itself far in advance. If you see bad stuff on the ground, don't stand in it.

2) As for gear, if you're wearing quest greens, you're overgeared for heroics. Yes, they made them that easy.

3) Any DPS in raid gear is capable of tanking heroics. In other words, if someone steals aggro from you, don't worry about it. The mob will be dead before it can cause any harm. Just try to round up the rest of the pack.

This ain't BC any more. It's not even cataclysm. If you have righteous fury on and know how to mark a skull, you're already ahead of the skull curve that blizzard had in mind when they developed these heroics.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
tbh, if you have the ilvl to begin heroics (440? Not sure xD) and a tanking spec, then you can tank them. They are not hard at all. You mentioned you're not sure how much of a step up they are... well they're a teeny tiny step up as in that fire might hurt a little more... but not by much :P

If you are worried about the heroic only heroics, then you could watch a video or two about them. Other wise running in and facetanking it all will suffice ^_^
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
Like the others have said, in this expansion, if you have the ilevel and you know what end of the sword is the pointy end, you'll be fine.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Your gear is more than good enough for heroics. As long as you can manage the basic rotation and remember to use your cooldowns as needed (even if you're unsure, use one), you'll do fine.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Your gear looks fine to start running heroics. Also I wouldn't sweat having higher expertise at this point either, that'll come with more gear. As for mechanics of instances you aren't familiar with, try going thru them once as a dps. If you have a good tank in your guild, as them to tank it and show you the ropes as you run as dps. Or even do vice versa, let them give you some pointers over guild chat or vent as you go.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
02/24/2013 07:40 PMPosted by Meixie
Like the others have said, in this expansion, if you have the ilevel and you know what end of the sword is the pointy end, you'll be fine.

As someone approaching that level, this disappoints me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Just realize, sometimes you will be tank and top DPS, sometimes, you won't. The times you won't, you will love because the dungeon sails trough.

When you zone in, replacing a tank, and you hear " hope this tank is better then last one" Reply " Of course", and silently faceroll the instance. After it's done, just say " that's the way I do it!

Tanking has given me a new love for this game. I was getting bored after 6 years of DPS.

Be good to your healer, and all is rosy!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin

Also, with 5.2 around the corner, currently super-geared DPS will be even more geared. Is this something that under-geared tanks should be concerned about? Should I be expecting threat issues after the patch goes live? I'm guessing that as the disparity between ilevels increase (Tank vs DPS), the easier it becomes for trigger-happy DPS to pull aggro off the tank....but maybe this is not how it works - I'm not sure.

Thanks!!

Honestly, just go in and try it out. If they're pulling off you, either taunt or just let them have the mob. Most of the time (as long as it's not a boss) they're not going to die if they're pulling 1 or 2 mobs off you- although it can be annoying if there's a mob that does a frontal cleave or something.

What would you guys says is a "comfortable" ilevel for these heroics? I just don't want to go in there and get pulverized and/or screamed at by the healer lol !

If you're using you 'active mitigation' talents, this isn't a problem. If you pull too much, use GoAK etc.

I would suggest going from Colossus to Windsong, and put the +highest main stat enchant from engineering on your gloves.

You can also check out some upgrades (pre-raiding) from http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6571787785.

Otherwise, I'd say take a healer friend, or a good DPS friend in with you, to help out with any issues that come up. It's more fun!
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Shaman
Heroics aren't heroic. They are just lvl 90 5-mans. If you could tank a 5-man at 86 you can tank a 5-man at 90, there's no difference except that the rest of the group tends to be much better geared so it goes even easier. Given how faceroll the 5-mans are in this game now, there's basically no way you can fail.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Monk
you are underestimating players ability to be horrible....

I've wiped on the halloween boss, so yeh .. anything is possible.

I had 5 mans where people managed to somehow pull armies of mobs, and the only way I survived it was because of sheer ilvl.

you would be surprised with what human stupidity is capable of
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]